December LSAT Study Diary (formerly October) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Anaconda

Silver

December LSAT Study Diary (formerly October)

Post by Anaconda » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:58 pm

I'll be keeping a log of everything thing I do including readings/practice problems/prep tests, etc. Hopefully I'll progress significantly in the next few months. Feel free to add constructive criticism/encouragement/whatever, but I hope to use this to track my progress and try to keep myself honest.

Some background: I scored a 152 148 on my first timed diagnostic test. My goal is a 170, which is obviously going to involve a lot of hard work. Only plan to self-study, no classes. I have every PT and a photocopier, which is obviously very handy.

I started reading the Logic Games Bible 3 weeks ago, and so far I've covered basic linear, advanced linear and sequencing games in depth. I've started trying grouping games in the past few days, but I've still been doing about 6 LG's a day (3 new, 3 repeat). I probably spend an average of 2-3 hours a day 6-7 days a week working on games, reading, reviewing games, etc.

I've reserved many PrepTests to take as diagnostics, and intend to use the rest to break down into practice sections and questions.

I've reserved PT's 14, 18, 19, 20, 24, 27, 28 37-39, and 41-60, Superprep A, B, C, and the June 07 test.

---

In the past 3 weeks, I've gradually started to improve with linear games, although I still have problems on some games, and still get questions wrong. Timing is still a major issue for me. I have a lot of trouble finishing each game under 11-12 minutes, and tend to make silly mistakes in retrospect.

For logic games, I've isolated every single LG I can take (not part of the 32 PT's I intend to take), and have them categorized by game type and photocopied, so I can try each game as many times as I want.

I've tried almost every single basic linear & advanced linear practice game that I have (a solid 25+), and in some cases has tried problems more than once (which is why I'm still a little concerned the games are still taking me a long to complete without 100% accuracy.

My game plan is to shore up my linear games skills this week, and then move onto doing 5-6 grouping games every day next week, and then move on to practicing RC.
Last edited by Anaconda on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: October LSAT Study Diary

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:06 pm

I've tried almost every single basic linear & advanced linear practice game that I have (a solid 25+), and in some cases has tried problems more than once (which is why I'm still a little concerned the games are still taking me a long to complete without 100% accuracy.

Just worry about accuracy for now, don't worry about timing. Everything else about your game plan sounds pretty solid.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Tuesday June 22nd

I created two 4 game sections consisting of 2 basic linear and advanced linear problems.

Section 1: PT 1 Game 4, PT 16 Game 2, PT 16 Game 3, PT 30 Game 4

Section 2: PT 10 Game 2, PT 12 Game 1, PT 20 Game 4, PT 22 Game 3

Completed Section 1 in 33.5 minutes. Got -1, -3, -2, -0 (or 19/25). I tripped up on the PT 16 games, but after reading the Kaplan explanations, the -3 game now seems easy, while the -2 game (PT 16 Game 3) involving houses on a street still seems a little tricky but possible. Games that involve houses on a street or any type of spatial mapping drive me crazy!

Completed Section 2 in 43 minutes :( Despite the terrible time, I got -0, -2, -0, -1 (or 23/26). Last 3 games took me over 12 minutes each.

Have work all day tomorrow (watching the US game in the morning) so I'll be studying again on Thursday. I'll probably re-do 1-2 old linear games I previously struggled on, and re-read LBG chapter 3 (grouping), and start working on a few grouping practice games.
Last edited by Anaconda on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 pm

naterj wrote:I've tried almost every single basic linear & advanced linear practice game that I have (a solid 25+), and in some cases has tried problems more than once (which is why I'm still a little concerned the games are still taking me a long to complete without 100% accuracy.

Just worry about accuracy for now, don't worry about timing. Everything else about your game plan sounds pretty solid.
+1

Accuracy first, timing later. Redoing games is awesome - subsequent "plays" help you see deeper inferences and ways to break them wide open.

I'm really glad to see folks keeping LSAT diaries. Helps you track your progress, holds you accountable, and lets others learn from you.

unattended bag

New

Post by unattended bag » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:15 pm

This is great! I agree with LSAT Blog that it's a good way to track your progress and get extra help/advice. I'm in pretty much the same place that you are with logic games. I've found that the Atlas approach to sequencing games is MUCH easier than the Powerscore approach (for me, at least). Good luck with your prep. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this blog.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Thursday June 24th

Started off doing 2 games: one basic linear balanced (PT 17, Game 1) and one advanced linear balanced (PT 4 Game 3) - they were honestly very easy, and were probably the easiest problems on those particular LG sections.

Results: 5/5 on the basic linear game in 8 minutes 0 seconds.
6/6 on the advanced linear game in 9 minutes 50 seconds.

Afterwards I re-read the LGB chapter on grouping games.

Then I tried 3 grouping games:

PT 13 Game 1 (defined/fixed/balanced). Got -1 (5/6) in 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

PT 5 Game 2 (defined/fixed/unbalanced). Got -1 (4/5) in only 5 minutes and 17 seconds. Got the last question (#11) wrong. It was tricky.

PT 3 Games 4 (partially defined). Got -1 (4/5) in only 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Got the last question wrong, and it was a stupid error in counting. :roll:

I'm fairly pleased that I got 24/27 questions (5 problems) right today in only 41 minutes. If I was able to count to 6 I would have had -2. :P

These games are becoming really addicting, I think I might do a few more today, it's just terrible when you're able to do most games without a problem (at least getting a majority of the questions right) and then come to a random game where you don't even know how to begin.

Edit: Did 2 more Grouping games:

PT 22 Game 1 (defined/moving): Got 6/7 right in 8 min 24 sec. Circled the wrong answer at the end, so would have had 7/7 if I were more careful. This was a very easy game.

PT 35 Game 1 (defined/fixed/unbalanced: Got 5/5 right in 8 min 22 seconds. Question 5 was tricky, but it was a pretty simple game to diagram and work with.

Total for the day: 35/39, with two stupid mistakes. None of the games were difficult (confirmed with Kaplan's Q ratings).

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 am

Question:

How many weeks are you going to spend on LG before moving onto LR? How much time do you plan to spend on LR? How abt RC?

Thanks.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:40 am

SplitterPride wrote:Question:

How many weeks are you going to spend on LG before moving onto LR? How much time do you plan to spend on LR? How abt RC?

Thanks.
I'll probably finish logic games (at least grouping) sometime next week. Then I'll hopefully spend about a month on LR and maybe 2 weeks (or longer if necessary) on RC. Once I start LR, I'm also going to keep my mind fresh by doing 1-2 LG's a day.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Friday, June 25

After work, tried 2 games. DISASTER.

Both turned out to be grouping/hybrid games, and neither were very easy.

First game: PT 22 Game 4 - about jugglers. Took me 16 (!!!) minutes to complete, got 4/5 questions right. This game was a total nightmare, didn't enjoy a second of it.

Second game: PT 25 Game 2 (matching - tourists and guides)- Took me 17 (!!!) minutes, got only 4/7 questions right. Here's the funny thing - I diagramed the problem wrong! Put 2 tourists with the wrong tour guide, so I'm hoping that's why this game was such an unbearable struggle. If I finished this game in 11 minutes instead of 17 despite the terrible error in diagraming, I think 4/7 could be considered a miracle. I'm going to redo this one tomorrow.

I worked 9 hours today, so I'm hoping I'm just fatigued, but the first game really was difficult IMO. These hybrid grouping games ARE NOT FUN.

One thing I've noticed is that neatness/organization when diagramming is hurting me. I sometimes forget to apply a rule because it's hidden within my set-up and that's why some questions take me so long as I wonder how one is wrong. Something I must improve on.

I'll be spending tomorrow doing 6-8 grouping games and 2 linear re-dos.

EDIT: Did PT 7 Game 3 (judges: liberal, conservative, moderate). Took me a whopping 14 mins 45 secs, but I got 5/6 right, and seemed to understand the game pretty well after reviewing. If I weren't so tired, I'm sure I could have done it in ~12 minutes, and based on the Kaplan Q ratings, it was a challenging/difficult game (mostly 3 stars and one 4 star problem that I got right), so feeling much better now. Looking forward to tomorrow's LG blitz!
Last edited by Anaconda on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Dont panic. Just relax. Focus on diagramming if youre not already doing so. Its amazing how much a good diagram can really help. Keep going at it.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Saturday, June 26th

In the morning/early afternoon did 6 grouping games (1 was a repeat of the game I botched yesterday by misapplying a rule) and 1 advanced linear game I tried and bombed way back when I first started studying. All in all I did well, only one game tripped me up and timing still needs to be improved.

PT 1 Game 2 (Advanced linear-unbalanced). First time I did the problem about 3 weeks ago, it took me 12 min 30 sec and I got -4. Today it took me 9 min 20 sec, and got 6/6, game was fairly easy. I probably wasted a good 30 seconds since I accidentally mis-diagramed the game at first and used a pen.
Kaplan gave this game three 3 stars, two 2 stars, and one 4 star, making it above-average difficulty.

PT 26 Game 3 (defined/moving) in 11 min 20 sec. 5/6 correct, question I got wrong was 4 stars according to the Kaplan Q ratings.

PT 16 Game 1 (defined/fixed/balanced) in 11 min 0 sec. 5/6 correct, question I got wrong was 4 stars. Struggled on another question but eventually got it right.

PT 21 Game 1 (defined/moving in 9 min 30 sec. 6/6 correct. Game was a blur in retrospect, but a good kind of blur.

PT 15 Game 4 (defined/fixed/balanced) in 8 min 45 sec. 5/5 correct. According to Kaplan, all questions were 1-2 stars, which means this was a gimme game.

PT 25 Game 2 (defined/moving) in 10 min 20 sec. 7/7 correct. According to Kaplan all q's were 2 or 3 stars, so this was basically average difficulty. I thought it was moderately easy (first three questions were all related to the same exact rule making them a breeze). This was a re-do of the game I botched yesterday. Getting all the rules down made a big difference of course. Pretty sure the errors last night were due to fatigue.

PT 31 Game 2 (undefined) (Music store carrying CD's - new/used, and different genres of music) in 17 min 20 sec (!!!!!!!!). 4/7 correct. HOLY @#%!! This game was so freaking hard. Granted, it's well known for being one of the most difficult games ever, but the thought process behind every question was a complete nightmare. I only graded, I didn't read the Kaplan explanations. I'm going to re-do this one tomorrow, try to tackle it from a different angle and try to improve my set-up.

Edit: Did 2 more games: 1 pure sequencing and 1 linear/grouping comobo

PT 4 Game 1 (pure sequencing) in 3 minutes 57 sec. 6/6. This game was extremely easy. Kaplan Q ratings gave all q's 1-2 stars.

PT 31 Game 4 - Jeez, the LG's on Test 31 were impossible! Took me 12 minutes, was relatively clueless on how to approach the questions. Still got a 4/5 though, but I really felt I'd didn't know what the hell I was doing. BUT, looking at the game explanations, it seems that I missed one important rule in the opening paragraph which would have allowed me to answer all the questions correctly. It also appears that my strategy otherwise was fairly sound despite the game intimidating me. I guess I know understand why several people here on TLS were horrified how they messed up the 2 of the LG's on the June LSAT and managed to get all of the questions right. Also, 4/5 questions were given 4 stars by Kaplan, so this was a very difficult problem. Not bad at all: a month ago I would have frozen up and would have probably gotten a -4. Had I been careful, this would have been a -0.

Overall: 48/54 in 94 minutes. Taking out the ridiculous music store game it was 44/47 in 77 minutes which is still WAY too much time, although I never looked at my stop watch until I finished every game. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my accuracy, even if it's not perfect yet. I'm definitely making some very solid progress, still have to cut my time down a bit.
Last edited by Anaconda on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

obsquared

New

Post by obsquared » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey guys, i'm new to TLS and i'm also studying for the October lsat. my first attempt. i think keeping an LSAT diary is a great idea.
@ LSAT blog: i've been reading ur blogs and i think u're a great help. I'm also currently using your 5-month study schedule and it's really really amazing. Any other tips for studying will be great. Thanks!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Sunday June 27th

Today did 6 more LG's (4 grouping, 1 linear 1 hybrid). Will probably do another 1-2 tonight.

PT 6 Game 1 (grouping: defined/moving), in 10 min 20 sec. Got 6/6.

PT 9 Game 2 (grouping: defined/fixed/unbalanced), in 8 min 40 sec. Game was about a diplomat's retirement dinner. Got 5/6. Got a 4 Star question wrong. Game was deceivingly difficult.

PT 30 Game 1 (grouping: defined/fixed/unbalanced) in 9 min 20 sec. Game was about loaves of bread at a bakery. Got 5/5, but one question I was unsure about. Lucky I got all questions right, but this game made me feel a little uneasy, so I'll be redoing in the future. The tricky thing is there too many not-laws from the rules to work with and there are a lot of possibilities than are too time consuming to diagram for all.

PT 3 Game 3 (grouping/linear combination) in 12 minutes 55 seconds (?? don't really know because I was interrupted 4 minutes in after struggling to setup, so I just started over). Got 5/6, but got a 2 star question wrong, although I had the right answer in my last two possibilities. In retrospect, I missed a not law, and it was a stupid mistake. I'll probably redo this one later. I thought the setup was very difficult as was the entire problem (involved a car dealership, 3 floors, and different types of cars)

PT 35 Game 2 (grouping:defined/fixed/unbalanced) in 9 minutes 20 sec. Got 6/7. I actually loved doing this game because you basically had the full diagram filled out and it was really just 6 short individual lists rather than a diagram. Game had three 4 star questions that I got all right, but a 3 star question tripped me up - because I didn't read the second part of the questions that listed another condition - only reason I got it wrong. I had been more careful I would have gotten the whole game correct.

PT 23 Game 1 (simple linear) in 7 min 0 sec. Got 5/5. This game was ridiculously easy. Kaplan Q ratings gave most of them 4 1's and 1 2 star rating. :roll: Oh well, I can't imagine a logic game being that easy on an actual test, but maybe the other LG's were incredibly difficult that exam date.

Overall, got 32/35 in 57 min 40 sec. I still have problems with timing, which I don't seem to be improving on. At this point, I'd be able to complete only 3 games on the actual test, but at least I'd be able to get 90%+ accuracy, which ain't bad at all, but I'd like to get a -0/-1 on this section, especially now that my accuracy and skills have improved a lot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Today was a DISASTER. I was making errors left and right. I started off my first two games by completely botching rules in the opening paragraph. I ended up botching both games AGAIN after I tried to redo them, and finally did much better on my THIRD attempt. Idk WTF happened to me today, but I really messed up big time. I feel like an idiot. Idk how I was doing so well the past week and now I mess up every game I try.

Is this an indication of burnout? Should I take a little break from LG and focus on LR or RC?

Anyways, the first two games I originally messed up to start off the day:

PT 29 Game 4 - totally messed up the setup, failed to see a major inference. FAIL. Gave up half-way through because I knew something wasn't right.
On my second try about 6 hours later I got a 5/5 in 7 min 30 sec after realizing what the major inference was, but this problem is still a pain in the ass.

PT 34 Game 4 - did this in 7 minutes, but only got 4/6 right. So many damn conditionals, I clearly didn't approach the game the right way.

After redoing several hours got a 5/6 in 12 minutes - still got one wrong by taking an extra 5 minutes! Grrrrrrr.
--

Game 23 Game 2 (grouping: undefined) - about people getting interviews/hired. Got a 3/6 in 12 minutes. this game was awful. It was incredibly difficult IMO. I understood the explanations, and will definitely be redoing this one a few times before October.

PT 4 Game 2 - Another bomb: 3/5 in 9 min 30 sec. However I redid this one about 6 hours later and did:
5/6 in 5 minutes 30 seconds, still not very good considering I made the same stupid mistake for the same exact question.

PT 30 Game 2 (grouping/linear combo) 4/5 in 8 min 50 sec. Got one 4 star question wrong.

PT 25 Game 3 (defined/moving) 6/6 in 12 minutes - and 3 questions were 3 stars and 3 questions were 4 stars. One of my two high points of the day.

PT 32 Game 2 (partially defined) 5/5 in 8 minutes. 2 questions were 4 stars, 1 was 3 stars, so a tricky game for sure, but managed to do very well on it.

PT 6 Game 2 (pure sequencing) 5/6 in 6 min 40 sec. Made a stupid mistake on a one star question!

What an AWFUL day, after progressing so nicely the past few days. To be fair, all the problems were difficult - probably at least half the questions were 3 or 4 stars, and only the sequencing game was a 1/2 star exclusive game.

Total (not taking into account any redos) : 29/39. YUCK.

I'm going to redo every single one of these problems in the next few weeks.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Some notes on my problems:

-sloppy diagraming
-occasionally missing vital rules in the opening paragraph
-overall sluggishness on my part

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:30 pm

After an awful day yesterday, I feel like I redeemed myself or at least got back on track today.

Did 6 problems:

PT 29 Game 2 (The infamous mannequin clothing game) - on my first attempt the questions were basically impossible to answer. After 12 minutes I decided to make another photocopy, and sure enough I had misinterpreted a rule that would have made the game impossible.

When I actually got rule #2 right (realizing it applied to the individual mannequins and not to each other/vice versa) , the game was a breeze! Got 7/7 right in only 10 minutes 30 seconds. Had I read the rules properly at my first go, I'm confident I would have done fine. For a game that is considered one of the hardest ever,and a game that I took on my first ever diagnostic and was totally clueless on, this is an absolute indicator of the progress I've made. This game is very conceptual. If you visualize the rather simple setup, you can break the game wide open, and that's exactly what I did.

PT 36 Game 4 (advanced linear/balanced) - 4/5 in 5 min 50 seconds. Made a really stupid mistake on the one I got wrong - forgot that one option was already used up. Careless error - otherwise would have destroyed this game.

PT 1 Game 3 (pure sequencing) - 5/5 in 7 min 20 seconds - Actually had to change my answers in two of the problems, but that was a result of carelessness (the theme of today). Otherwise, fairly straightforward sequencing game.

PT 34 Game 2 (basic linear unbalanced) - 4/5 in 7 min 50 seconds. Kaplan gave this game two 4 stars, and three 3 stars, so it was not easy. However, this game I did think was easy, except I misread one of the conditions in one of the rules - a really stupid mistake too, one that had I actually read that part of the question, I would have gotten right...

PT 32 Game 1 (grouping/linear combo) - 4/6 in 12 minutes. this game gave me trouble. First 4 questions were very easy, and then the last 2 were very hard. I approached them both the wrong way - I should have tested all the possibilities in Q5, and I should have seen the very basic inference in Q6. I clearly understood why my answers were wrong and why the correct answers were correct.

PT 9 Game 1 (grouping- defined/fixed/balanced) - 7/7 in 10 minutes 0 sec. This game is interesting because it relies on arithmetical possibilities. 2 q's were 1 stars, 2 q's were 2 stars and 1 q was 4 stars. This is a good practice problem because it requires you to think in terms of both variables and numbers.

Total: 31/35 - with 2 really stupid mistakes and a complete redo of the mannequins game that I would have aced had I read a rule properly the first time.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Hey check your PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:13 pm

Wed, June 30th

Logic Games:

PT 33 Game 2 (grouping: undefined) – The “Infamous” Birds in a forest game. Got 6/7 in 10 minutes 50 seconds, with one really, really silly mistake.
I immediately knew the game would try to trick you into believing that J & S could not both be IN the forest, when in fact they could be, they just couldn’t both be OUT of the forest. This game was a relative breeze, no questions messed me up except for #8, which I deduced properly, but missed the right answer for whatever reason! The fact that I understood what tricks the test makers were using for (almost) every question made me feel pretty smart! This is a great example of how important conditionals, contrapositives, and the difference between what is necessary and what is sufficient.

PT 23 Game 3 (grouping: defined/fixed/unbalanced): I made a mistake w/ a rule the 1st try – made the game impossible, so gave up and made another photocopy 13 minutes into it. Second attempt wasn’t so great: 5/7 in 14 minutes (!!). The questions in the game were pretty hard, with three 4 stars, two of which I got wrong. Will be redoing this one later this summer.

PT 5 Game 4 (advanced linear: balanced) 7/7 in 10 minutes 50 seconds. Didn’t really diagram the game, so it might have gone faster had I done so.

PT 10 Game 4 (grouping/linear combo): 6/6 in 11 minutes. 1 3 star Q, 1 4 star Q, the rest were 2 stars.

PT 17 Game 2 (grouping: defined/unbalanced): 7/7 in 7 min 50 sec: Game was VERY easy: all Q’s were 1-2 stars.

PT 33 Game 1 (pure sequencing) 5/5 in 7 min 30 sec. All Q’s 1-2 stars. Pretty easy stuff.

---

PT 23 Game 3 messed me up, but at least I seem to have the basics down, and as long as I write the rules down correctly, I think I have a great shot at -0/-1 for every problem. The frequency of me botching a rule here and there is happening way too often.
---
Overall: 36/39, with 11/14 on the “toughest games,” but the overall numbers are inflated by the two easy games. Without them, it would have been a 24/27, which is still solid.
I’ll hopefully begin the LRB tonight or tomorrow, and keep on doing 2-3 LG’s a day to continue to progress. My goal is to take a PrepTest by mid July, and start take regular PrepTests by early August.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Thursday, July 1

Today, I'm going to review all three sections.

I started off with RC. I did 2 full RC sections, both following Voyager's strategy:

PT 7 20/27 in 41 minutes

PT8 22/27 in 39 minutes (got the last 14 questions right)

I like Voyager's strategy because I feel like it's easier to stay focused and understand the passage. I want to bring RC down to -2/-3. The first 2 RC sections I did were a -7 and -11, so this is a nice improvement. I plan to do one RC section every 1.5 days (every day or every other day), which would take me to the beginning of August, just about when I plan to start taking regular PrepTests. I feel like Voyager's method will be more and more effective the more RC sections I do. I noticed I was improving by my second section.

Next was LG. Tried 3 games, 2 of which were repeats, one of which was new.

The repeats:

PT 7 Game 3 (grouping: defined/moving) The Datalog/liberal/moderate/conservative judges game. I did this game last week and got 5/6 in almost 15 minutes (!!!). 6 days later, I got 6/6 in 7 min 50 seconds, with Q 16 probably taking me at least 2.5 minutes (it's a tricky question!). Although not much time in between the 1st and 2nd time between trying out the game (which was unintentional), I didn't really remember much besides the basic "storyline" of the game. I certainly was confident the 2nd time. I'm going to make sure there is now at least 2-3 weeks between my 1st and 2nd game attempts.

PT 3 Game 1 (basic linear/advanced linear): This was one of the first LG's I ever tried, and it gave me fits for some reason. Interestingly, the game gets almost all 1 stars from Kaplan and only 1 2 star - so the game is supposed to be very easy, and it was. Got 7/7 in 6 min 40 seconds without any difficulty. Game was really easy to break wide open, curious why I struggled so much on my first attempt.

New LG:

PT 12 Game 3 (grouping: partially define): Got 5/6 in 9 min 40 sec. 1 Q is got wrong was 3 stars, and it was a bit tricky (but was a somewhat silly mistake), the rest of the game was pretty simple.

--

I'm going to read about 10 pages more of the LRB tonight. I want to read it carefully and absorb as much as possible. Now that I'm also working on RC, I can take LR a little more slowly. I'm glad I'm also concentrating on RC, since that would have surely been my biggest weakness after the LGB and LRB (assuming I'll greatly improve) and it is probably the most difficult to improve on.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Friday, July 2nd

Started off doing PT #10 RC section. Only got 17/27 in 45 minutes...

Here are the question types I got wrong (big pattern):

"Which of the following is the main idea?" (forgot to skim through the 1st paragraph)
"Which of the following can be inferred?"
"The passage implies..."
"The passage implies..."
"Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?"
"According to the passage..."
"The information in the passage suggests..."
"According to the passage..."
"The author implies..."
"X might be undermined by the fact..."

Almost all the questions I got wrong were inference/extension questions (I hate how there's a million different classifications out there to describe the same basic question type).

Most of the questions I got wrong were only 1-2 stars according to Kaplan (which means it was I who missed something, rather than an option(s) tripping me up), although I still have some trouble understanding some of the 4 star questions I got wrong.

Also, on the passage I got -0 on, I took just a few, but crucial notes, and had effective boxing. With the other ones, I tended to write unnecessarily long descriptions almost verbatim of what was in the passage. From now on, I'll try to limit notations to 1-3 words, or make comparative lists (which worked great for the -0 passage that was a comparison essay).

I just read Nova's chapter on RC, and they have some helpful tips, especially in regards to avoiding trap answer choices for specific question types. I just ordered the RCB, so hopefully that will help me out too.

My main weakness might be my strategy involving how to approach different question types and the pitfalls in each wrong answer choice.

I'm also VERY concerned about my time - 45 minutes for 4 passages isn't very good...

I also did 2 REALLY easy LG's, too lazy to go back and get the PT numbers, but they were a breeze, although one took me over 9 minutes.

After work, did a really quick exercise on LR from the LRB.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Saturday July 3rd

Did the LG section of PT 8. Got 19/24 in 34 min 30 sec. Getting -1, -3, -0, -1 on the games. The -3 game was pretty tough, but I botched writing down a conditional rule, so that added to the struggle (and inaccuracy). I redid the game after, and got -1, with the last question still tripping me up. Still -5 is much better than -10 on my diagnostic, and I know I could have done better. The time constraint made me a little nervous.

Also read 10 pages in the LRB. Working tomorrow, so probably won't study again until Monday, but I hope to read some science journal articles between now and Monday before the RCB comes on Wed.

Will probably read more of the LRB on Monday, and do a few LG redos as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 am

Sunday, July 4th

After work, I read a few articles from New Scientist to help with RC, and went over 2 of the RC sections I took a few days ago from PT 10. Re-read the passages, and loosely went over the questions. The 2 star questions I originally got wrong are much clearer now, and the 4 star questions I got wrong make sense, although they still seem to be very difficult - although I managed to get every Q down to 2 choices. I feel RC is going to revolve around practice, practice, practice. If I understand questions patterns, and manage to read each passage in 2-3 minutes, I think I can definitely improve on the subpar -10 in 45 minutes.

Tomorrow I'm going to focus mostly on LR, and do 2-3 old LG's (since I already did the LG's that are "available to me outside of ~35 PT's I intend to take). Still need to go over rare game types (pattern, mapping, etc), but I guess those are fairly low on the priority list as long as I practice them between now and October.)

I'm going to plan on reading for at least 30 minutes before bed - Foreign Affairs, New Scientist, WSJ, Economist, etc. Only problem is everything in those magazines/papers is still 1,000 times more interesting than any topic on the LSAT RC section.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Monday, July 5

Reviewing the chapter on Must Be True in the LRB. Did 21 Must be True question from the Kaplan Mastery book (untimed).

Got 14/21 total correct (not very good, considering I just reviewed "Must Be True" and it correlates to my accuracy on my diagnostic).

Breakdown based on stars:

1 Star: 8/9
2 Star: 2/5
3 Star: 2/3
4 Star: 2/4

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:26 pm

arawai wrote:Anaconda, studying for the LSAT seems to have been a bit of a struggle for you so far. Have you considered taking a Blueprint course? Their structure might really help you. Here is their website:

SPAM URL DELETED BY MODS
Yeah, considering how I'm doing fairly well on LG after previously struggling and just started the LRB. Get your shill account and spam BS out of my thread.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm just going to delete the shill BP account posts where they pop up now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”