USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jamlip

New

Re: USS BP Decides whether you should cancel your LSAT

Post by jamlip » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 am

PT Average: 167/168
Previous LSATs: None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 159-162
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Panicked after misreading rule on intern game, guessed on 3-4 questions (can't remember). Also didn't finish the contingency fee RC passage and dropped A's on the last 5 questions.

LG has always been my strongest section, usually getting -1. RC has typically been my weakest section, but the prospect of missing 5 in one passage alone scares the crap outta me.

Targeting top 30 - GW, BU, BC, Emory, WashU, Fordham, etc. and GTown/Cornell as reaches.
Also, GPA is about 3.65. I'll be retaking in October regardless of whether I cancel or not.

Thanks.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 am

PT Average 168-170
Previous LSATs (including cancels) This was my first
What you think you'll get on this LSAT 160
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT - On the first section, the proctor called the 5 minute warning when there were 10 minutes remaining and this screwed me on the rest of the section, which killed my confidence for the rest of the test. Also, I think the adderall I took right before the test increased my stress because I found myself rushing through things and losing focus which I don't normally do. It wasn't my first time taking adderall before of course. Also, I saved the comparative passages for last in the RC section. I'm an idiot for doing that! It's been my policy not to do that but the comparative passages had only 5 questions so I automatically skipped it and saved it for the end in case I was low on time but I didn't even realize it was the comparative

And also which level of schools you are targeting: I want to get into a top 20 law school. First choice is UVa

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 am

I'm so grateful I came across this thread... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PT: 164-165

I have no idea how I did, but I know it wasn't good. I felt great about the first LG section, but it turned out to be the experimental. First LR was ok, but not great; the scored LG was bad- on the last game, I guessed on all but one question. I felt good about the second LR, but my RC was not good. I normally only get 1-4 wrong, but my pacing was way off yesterday. I spent too long on the first one and then was too paranoid about running out of time to concentrate very well on the rest. I randomly guessed on about 5.

This is my first LSAT, and I'm almost positive I'll take it in October.

Also, this past semester of school was extremely busy for me and I didn't get to study nearly as much as I wanted. However, I'll have much more time this summer.

I'm not shooting for any particularly high schools- mostly top 30-50.

I'm currently leaning towards canceling it. It probably sounds pathetic but I spent a good solid hour afterward crying because of how badly I felt about it. However, advice from people who have been where I am would mean a lot to me!

getitdone

New

Post by getitdone » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 am

pt average 158
no previous lsat
not sure what ill get on this one... Games went well.. mulch was easy had a practice test with one exactly like it and it suited me, only answered the first two on the last game but def got them right and then guessed using the powerscore method.. lr went ok im thinking 17-19 correct.. reading comp went not so well.. first two comprehended and answered well.. 3rd one slowed me up and i didnt comprehend well, and had to guess on last 6..
i panicked after the first section was games and I did poorly but then got another shot on the games and did well and that was the one that counted.. what should I do.. I want to go to RU camden, I have a 3.0 gpa and strong softs..

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:24 am

Nice idea.
Last edited by apropos on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 am

witty username wrote:
witty username wrote:PT Average -----high 160s'-low 170s
Previous LSATs (including cancels) -----one cancel from dec 2009
What you think you'll get on this LSAT----- 150s....
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc -----Had LG for section 2 and was completely screwed by the last two games. This basically ruined my concentration/hope/confidence for the rest of the test.

My gpa is 3.7 and my dream law schools are USC or UCLA. I'm retaking in October, but I'm wondering which looks better:

-two cancels and high score

-one cancel, low score, and high score

any takers? please?
*Qualifier* Not BP
If you are fairly confident you bombed it and your pacing was way off in terms of numbers of complete guesses on some sections, then, yeah, two cancels and a high score looks better than having a low score paired with a high one. Two cancels don't look the best, but hopefully you can write an addendum for at least one of them with an excuse that makes it seem better. An addendum for a low score is a lot harder to write (and have it sound convincing). I would lean towards canceling, just realize that means you will have to accept the October score. If that adds too much pressure to your situation, then I am not sure what is the right call.

Rudy

New

Post by Rudy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 am

PT Average: 172.1 (High 177, low 164 (outlier))
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Probably 170 ish
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Paniced on the FIRST game of the section, had no problems as far as I could tell with the others, but ended up guessing on ~5 LG problems. Think the rest of the test probably went as one of my bests (LG is my weak point). Average -4 on LG anyway, -2 TOTAL on LR, -1 on RC. If I assume the panic is my normal panic, I may have gotten up to a 175, but I'm a pessimist I guess?

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T8 (Specifically UPenn). GPA is a 3.77 LSDAS at a top 12 undergrad.

I suppose a better question is, do I plan on retaking?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

SarahBeth wrote:PT Average - 170

Previous LSATs (including cancels) - None

What you think you'll get on this LSAT - Below 170. My issue is, I've felt cocky about some 167's and poor about some 174's so I have no idea!

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc) - misbubbled at one point, but I caught it. I'm fairly good with not misbubbling but I skip around in the RC and LG sections because I'm bad at timing. I'd rather guess on 5 than on 7. I had to guess on the mulch game (5). I spent too much time on the RC so I had to make an educated guess on 2 and a blind guess on 3. Problem is, I've managed to get high 160's with missing half of my LGs.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Top 30

Also, have a 3.87 LSDAS GPA for Philosophy Politics and Economics.
I'm planning on retaking, but I'm not sure if I should cancel too.
I wouldn't cancel. You won't do bad enough to hurt yourself.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 am

Rudy wrote:PT Average: 172.1 (High 177, low 164 (outlier))
Previous LSATs (including cancels): None
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Probably 170 ish
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): Paniced on the FIRST game of the section, had no problems as far as I could tell with the others, but ended up guessing on ~5 LG problems. Think the rest of the test probably went as one of my bests (LG is my weak point). Average -4 on LG anyway, -2 TOTAL on LR, -1 on RC. If I assume the panic is my normal panic, I may have gotten up to a 175, but I'm a pessimist I guess?

And also which level of schools you are targeting: T8 (Specifically UPenn). GPA is a 3.77 LSDAS at a top 12 undergrad.

I suppose a better question is, do I plan on retaking?
Don't cancel and don't worry about retaking until you get your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 am

PT Average: Took 5 new PTs in the 50's (163, 168, 174, 180, 167)
Previous LSATs: Dec 09 - 160. Knew I bombed it but didn't want to cancel because it was my first LSAT and I just was dying to know how I did.
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Between 150-161
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Got RC which is my worst section first (experimental). Kept thinking about RC during LR, got tripped up on Otters, and then mistimed missing 3 or 4. Kept thinking about that during games. Breezed through first two and spent FOREVER on the last question of mulch/stones. Ran into the tough one, answered probably 2 out of 6 and then guessed on the rest after crossing out wrong answers.

I was pretty devastated at break, was going to cancel and walk out of the test but decided just to sit through it just in case games was experimental. It wasn't. Basically half-assed my way through LR and RC but sometimes when I half-ass it and don't care too much about answering everything 100% methodically, I actually do better. I doubt it though.

Which level of schools you are targeting: Not top 19. Maybe somewhere from 30-60 (regional).

UGPA is a 3.3 with a strong upward trend (3.9 last three semesters).

Not sure why I'm even asking because I'm 99% going to cancel. But please advise anyway.

Just worried about two low scores next to a high score might make the high score seem like a lucky try (I am assuming a lot though for October).
Last edited by bartleby on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 am

PetitBonaparte wrote:
PetitBonaparte wrote:PT Average: high 160s - low 170s

Previous LSATs (including cancels): 156 (Feb 2008), cancel (Sept 2009), 159 (Dec 2009)

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: low-mid 160s

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: I bombed the last two games by misinterpreting the rules on the third and fourth games and running out of time. I think I guessed on at least 8 of the 11 remaining questions. I feel pretty confident about LR and RC though, but I'm not so confident that I would say I missed absolutely none.

Target: T14 or Top 30

This is my fourth time taking, and I don't even think I'll be able to take another one (2-year rule) unless a law school excuses me. I was really hoping for a 169+ and hoping for Michigan, Cornell or GULC. I have a 3.5 GPA.

UGH. Please advise.
Please help!

You gotta keep. Low mid 60's is way better than 159.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 am

witty username wrote:
witty username wrote:PT Average -----high 160s'-low 170s
Previous LSATs (including cancels) -----one cancel from dec 2009
What you think you'll get on this LSAT----- 150s....
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc -----Had LG for section 2 and was completely screwed by the last two games. This basically ruined my concentration/hope/confidence for the rest of the test.

My gpa is 3.7 and my dream law schools are USC or UCLA. I'm retaking in October, but I'm wondering which looks better:

-two cancels and high score

-one cancel, low score, and high score

any takers? please?
Keep. UCLA and USC won't hold it against you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 am

Mike088 wrote:163-165 average in PTs
was my first LSAT

i think i got anywhere from 155 to 160 on this one....First two sections went very well, 3rd section LG was pretty killer. don't think i got a single one on that last game and guessed a lot on the 3rd...not sure bout 4th section LR, and felt decently well about 5th section RC.

My goals are to get in to a top 20-50 school....

cancel? no cancel? taking october either way...
Keep 20-50 don't really care about retakes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 am

jamlip wrote:PT Average: 167/168
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 159-162
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Panicked after misreading rule on intern game, guessed on 3-4 questions (can't remember). Also didn't finish the contingency fee RC passage and dropped A's on the last 5 questions.

LG has always been my strongest section, usually getting -1. RC has typically been my weakest section, but the prospect of missing 5 in one passage alone scares the crap outta me.

Targeting top 30 - GW, BU, BC, Emory, WashU, Fordham, etc. and GTown/Cornell as reaches.
Also, GPA is about 3.65. I'll be retaking in October regardless of whether I cancel or not.

Thanks.
None of these schools will hold a lower score against you if you retake. Keep it, you might get lucky.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:41 am

iwanta170 wrote:PT Average 168-170
Previous LSATs (including cancels) This was my first
What you think you'll get on this LSAT 160
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT - On the first section, the proctor called the 5 minute warning when there were 10 minutes remaining and this screwed me on the rest of the section, which killed my confidence for the rest of the test. Also, I think the adderall I took right before the test increased my stress because I found myself rushing through things and losing focus which I don't normally do. It wasn't my first time taking adderall before of course. Also, I saved the comparative passages for last in the RC section. I'm an idiot for doing that! It's been my policy not to do that but the comparative passages had only 5 questions so I automatically skipped it and saved it for the end in case I was low on time but I didn't even realize it was the comparative

And also which level of schools you are targeting: I want to get into a top 20 law school. First choice is UVa

Cancel, and stay off the adderall.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 am

renee88 wrote:I'm so grateful I came across this thread... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

PT: 164-165

I have no idea how I did, but I know it wasn't good. I felt great about the first LG section, but it turned out to be the experimental. First LR was ok, but not great; the scored LG was bad- on the last game, I guessed on all but one question. I felt good about the second LR, but my RC was not good. I normally only get 1-4 wrong, but my pacing was way off yesterday. I spent too long on the first one and then was too paranoid about running out of time to concentrate very well on the rest. I randomly guessed on about 5.

This is my first LSAT, and I'm almost positive I'll take it in October.

Also, this past semester of school was extremely busy for me and I didn't get to study nearly as much as I wanted. However, I'll have much more time this summer.

I'm not shooting for any particularly high schools- mostly top 30-50.

I'm currently leaning towards canceling it. It probably sounds pathetic but I spent a good solid hour afterward crying because of how badly I felt about it. However, advice from people who have been where I am would mean a lot to me!
I wouldn't cancel for a couple reasons. First, top 30-50 don't really care. They take the highest. Second, you don't know you did bad, just bad feelings. Third, there is no reason to believe you won't be just as nervous next time.

Retake with a halfway decent score. It'll take the pressure off.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 am

getitdone wrote:pt average 158
no previous lsat
not sure what ill get on this one... Games went well.. mulch was easy had a practice test with one exactly like it and it suited me, only answered the first two on the last game but def got them right and then guessed using the powerscore method.. lr went ok im thinking 17-19 correct.. reading comp went not so well.. first two comprehended and answered well.. 3rd one slowed me up and i didnt comprehend well, and had to guess on last 6..
i panicked after the first section was games and I did poorly but then got another shot on the games and did well and that was the one that counted.. what should I do.. I want to go to RU camden, I have a 3.0 gpa and strong softs..
Unless you know you really fucked up worse than normal, keep your score.

That said, you need to get that LSAT up. Restudy retake. RU Camden at sticker is a death march for your financial future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 am

apropos wrote:Nice idea.

PT Average: 172 (ranged from 165-176. Strong tendency to score between 170 and 172. Completed about 18 of them.)
Previous LSATs: None. This was my first.
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Hard to say. 164 if I had to guess
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Like many other people, it seems: Last two LGs went poorly. Guessed on 4 or 5 of them. Educatedly guessed on about 4 more. So 8-9 in all. The rest, I think, went smoothly.

Which level of schools you are targeting: Tier1 and Tier2. Not within the top 10. Cornell's the highest ranked I intend to apply to. San Diego is the lowest (is that T2 still). The rest in between.

(Low-ish UGPA (3.1 for LSAC), with a striking upward trend (very low to Dean's list 4.0), and a high graduate GPA (3.9). I'm thinking mainly that an addendum probably shouldn't include more than one explanation, which is already reserved for my first undergraduate year. And while school outside the very top generally average, they often suggest an explanation of multiple scores, and I definitely didn't do as well as is typical.)
First of all, why are you aiming so low. I'd retake, but keep your score.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 am

bartleby wrote:PT Average: Took 5 new PTs in the 50's (163, 168, 174, 180, 167)
Previous LSATs: Dec 09 - 160. Knew I bombed it but didn't want to cancel because it was my first LSAT and I just was dying to know how I did.
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: Between 150-161
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Got RC which is my worst section first (experimental). Kept thinking about RC during LR, got tripped up on Otters, and then mistimed missing 3 or 4. Kept thinking about that during games. Breezed through first two and spent FOREVER on the last question of mulch/stones. Ran into the tough one, answered probably 2 out of 6 and then guessed on the rest after crossing out wrong answers.

I was pretty devastated at break, was going to cancel and walk out of the test but decided just to sit through it just in case games was experimental. It wasn't. Basically half-assed my way through LR and RC but sometimes when I half-ass it and don't care too much about answering everything 100% methodically, I actually do better. I doubt it though.

Which level of schools you are targeting: Not top 19. Maybe somewhere from 30-60 (regional).

UGPA is a 3.3 with a strong upward trend (3.9 last three semesters).

Not sure why I'm even asking because I'm 99% going to cancel. But please advise anyway.

Just worried about two low scores next to a high score might make the high score seem like a lucky try (I am assuming a lot though for October).
Cancel and study for real this time.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 am

Desert Fox, thanks for helping out all these people. Much appreciated.

So just from browsing the forum, it seems that a decent rule of thumb is:

only cancel if:
1) you completely bombed something; this varies for people, but most of the time includes multiple blind guesses
2) you have a high GPA, are aiming for HYS, and felt like you performed significantly under par, although maybe not completely bombing

getitdone

New

Post by getitdone » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 am

RU Camden at sticker is a death march for your financial future. why so.. and what is at sticker.. what is USS BP btw. lol
and you think I should def retake.. im not sure what im doin wrong but i taught myself everything, i read the powerscore bible thats about it..

i had the 158 average pt btw

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RonandRand2012

New

Post by RonandRand2012 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 am

RonandRand2012 wrote:PT Average: 172.5

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 165-170 -- PT average is dependent on -0 LG

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Got destroyed by the fourth game in LG (guessed on three), then let it hurt my confidence on the second LR section. My brain was off after the break, I barely remember the fourth and fifth sections.

GPA: 3.99

Aiming for: T10
anyone?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 am

RonandRand2012 wrote:
RonandRand2012 wrote:PT Average: 172.5

What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 165-170 -- PT average is dependent on -0 LG

Why you think you did bad on this LSAT: Got destroyed by the fourth game in LG (guessed on three), then let it hurt my confidence on the second LR section. My brain was off after the break, I barely remember the fourth and fifth sections.

GPA: 3.99

Aiming for: T10
anyone?
Hard call. If you are sure you are below 170, cancel. But if you aren't, keep it.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

Repost (since no one has answered):

PT Average: 163-173 (I generally scored 164-166 most frequently)
Previous LSATs (including cancels): 152 (September 2009 - was NOT prepared and I should have canceled but did not)
What you think you'll get on this LSAT: 159-161 (if lucky)
Why you think you did bad on this LSAT (misbubble, panic, etc etc): I think I did bad because LG (normally my best section) threw me off. I did game four first thinking it would be easier than game 3, but then quickly realized I missed a rule and did game 3 instead. But it took me too much time to get a key deduction for game 3. So by the time I figured out the third game I had very limited time for game 4 and I guessed on 3 questions at the end.

Also RC - I had to guess on a few as I was running out of time, and I didn't pace myself well on this section (I forgot to start my analog watch). LR, I thought, went better than usual - odd because that section normally gives me the most trouble.

And also which level of schools you are targeting: Anywhere in the T30s. I have a 3.843 GPA (but I think it will be more like 3.9 on LSAC scale due to the high number of A+'s I received). Tons of work experience.

Dream schools: Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Harvard, NYU. Would be okay with: Notre Dame, Hastings, Boston University.

Should I cancel? I've been thinking that I should.

randomperson

New

Post by randomperson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:29 am

PT Average: 169-173
No previous LSATs
I think could get anywhere from a 160-168, but probably a 164-166
I'm targeting top 14/15-30 schools (BC, Vandy, Emory, Cornell, etc), with Michigan and Vanderbilt being my 1 and 2 choices

I think I did poorly because my nerves got to me on the LG.

I should also note I have above average softs (founded a student organization that works with the homeless, president of the debate team and nationally ranked, finalist for a truman/rhodes/marshall type scholarship). My GPA is around 3.8

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”