Jone 2010 Logic Games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jdstl

Bronze

Re: Jone 2010 Logic Games

Post by jdstl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm

jdstl wrote:I'm shocked to see everyone think the games were hard.

Games are always my weakest section, and I didn't have to guess on any. I didn't come up with the key inference on the final game, but I was able to power through with lots of hypos. I expect a - 2 or -3 on the section from careless mistakes.
EDIT: I think the trend toward plug and chug games with few master inferences (the kind they loved in earlier tests). most of these games just required epic hypos, my pages were absolutely filled with scratch.

simpson89

New

Post by simpson89 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:26 pm

nsideirish wrote:
lsu wrote:The 4th game on my 1st LG section had items that started with L, J, H, M, etc...one of them was "ghosts" or "ghost" - was that section graded? I had LG LR LG LR RC
No. The 4th game on the graded LG section was about writers/photographers in Tuscany/Romania/some place that began with a P
Tuscany/Romania/Spain

kayljsh

New

Post by kayljsh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm also surprised that many people felt it was difficult. I thought they were relatively easy, which makes me nervous that I missed something and somehow made them easier than they actually were.
They crafts one and the one about writers/photo were weirdly similar I thought. Same number of options/spots.
The mulch wasn't top bad, but I had a lot of trouble with the last question that involved consequtiveness.
The other game (interns? shows how much I care about what's actually going on) forced you to make an inference about a certain number of people in a certain spot. I thought this question made the immediately following one exceptionally obvious. Did anyone else think so?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Mulch game kinda made me confused game was simple enough just doubted myself about how may slots there were. Looking back on the games I could have done well. The last game I had a crunch for time

Has any one noticed that on these newer tests including 59 the first games are easy but very time consuming????

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

jdstl wrote:

Games are always my weakest section, and I didn't have to guess on any. I didn't come up with the key inference on the final game, but I was able to power through with lots of hypos. I expect a - 2 or -3 on the section from careless mistakes.
EDIT: I think the trend toward plug and chug games with few master inferences (the kind they loved in earlier tests). most of these games just required epic hypos, my pages were absolutely filled with scratch.
I completely agree with this. I found that trying to make some elegant, all-answering master diagram like you used to be able to just wasn't happening and had a TON of hypos all over. Brute forced my way through a lot of the questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsu

New

Post by lsu » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I thought all but the "ghost" question (on which I panicked when I looked at question 2 and realized I had no clue, ran out of time, then guessed) were reasonable. I think I probably missed the big inference. The Tuscany game was maybe a little more involved than usual, but had no problem with it or the others. Though in practice, I always finish the LG section with about 8 minutes left over and missing 1 question total max, and today, I had less time left over than normal, like 2 min on the 2nd LG. So I think the questions at least required more scenario work than normal.

jdstl

Bronze

Post by jdstl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
jdstl wrote:

I completely agree with this. I found that trying to make some elegant, all-answering master diagram like you used to be able to just wasn't happening and had a TON of hypos all over. Brute forced my way through a lot of the questions.
Exactly. I actually tend to think this type of question benefits folks (like me) who aren't intuitively good at the games. I'm hard pressed to ever spot tricky inferences, but because of that I'm used to racing through PT's doing mass quantities of hypos.

malfurion

Bronze

Post by malfurion » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

I just remembered that there was a particular type of individual question (not game type) that had been on almost all of the recent LG sections and that I had specifically studied and figured out a good approach recently, and surprisingly it did not appear on today's test.

theduzzi813

New

Post by theduzzi813 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 pm

I saw that an above poster had said they felt like the mulch question was from an earlier experimental section. I totally agree. My friends thought I was crazy but I was sure I had seen it before. Dec 09 sounds right! Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 pm

I am so relieved to see that I am not the only one who saw the logic games as way harder than the tests in the 50s. First two were cake...took me a while to get the jist of the stone/mulch one....may have missed one there....but the last one....as time i was running out.....I'm sure I got three right...hopefully I guessed correctly on more....I was able to make educated guesses.

I depend on the LGs to be my solid zone...a buffer for me to make a few mistakes on LR and RC. If the games were like they were in the PT 50s....I would be feeling very good. Right now I can see myself getting anything from a 163 to a 171.

Rudy

New

Post by Rudy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 pm

LG are always my weakest point (-4 avg) and I must have been too nervous because I just for the life of me could not figure out the crafts problem. I know I'm going to see it when its released and feel like a moron, but as it stands I guessed on 5 of those questions. I wasted about 5 minutes on that, made no progress, and just went ahead to the other questions, planning to go back. I didn't think any of the others was hard at all though, noting that Stone/ Mulch was very old school. What was this big inference for the interns?

sidder10

New

Post by sidder10 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 am

Kicking myself: didn't have too much problem with the section as a whole, but looking back I think I may have misread the rules and had the wrong # of mulch v. stone.

gorockies

New

Post by gorockies » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 am

I lucked out because I got to the 4th game with 15 minutes left, and it definitely took me that whole 15 minutes but I think I got them all right

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicagobullsfan

New

Post by chicagobullsfan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:31 am

If anyone who hasn't taken the test is reading through these threads, a word of advice. Most people here seem to be kicking themselves for not getting through the last LG. A practice technique I picked up in my final week of PTing was to attack sections (whether games or reading passages) that had the most questions first. After all, each question is worth exactly the same - 1 point. This would usually only come into play when I was faced with harder questions.

After doing the first two games, I noticed the last two seemed extremely hard (as most have stated for the last, and some are stating for the third). In 2 seconds I made an executive decision to skip the 3rd LG and go right to the 4th because the 4th had more qs. I brute forced by way through the last game and probably may have still gotten 1 or 2 wrong (maybe more, who knows) but I was able to answer all of them without completely guessing. When I went back to the third section/game, I was basically out of time and ended up having to guess on all but one, but I felt much better about doing it (rather than guessing on the last one) - if I got them all wrong, at least I got less wrong than I would have had I done LG in the standard 1-2-3-4 order.

Hope this makes sense/help. Anyone else try this strategy?

Foxxtrot

New

Post by Foxxtrot » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 am

I'll join the chorus. LGs were my ace in the hole heading into today. While I'm also solid at RC (even the tougher ones) and adequate at LR, my games are what put me
over 170 in my PTs.
Today's LGs were cruel, but most cruel to the people who, like myself, got the experimental LG section. I have no doubt that I got a -0 on the exp,
but I'll be lucky to have a -5 on the real thing.
I walked out thinking that the exp had to be real because it was so much like the LGs from the 50's...thus, I walked out feeling good. However, as soon
as I found out which was real I wanted to cry...then I was pissed...I'm still pissed...here's hoping some of those wonderful exp questions appear FOR REAL
in October...

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:45 am

Foxxtrot wrote:I'll join the chorus. LGs were my ace in the hole heading into today. While I'm also solid at RC (even the tougher ones) and adequate at LR, my games are what put me
over 170 in my PTs.
Today's LGs were cruel, but most cruel to the people who, like myself, got the experimental LG section. I have no doubt that I got a -0 on the exp,
I walked out thinking that the exp had to be real because it was so much like the LGs from the 50's...thus, I walked out feeling good. However, as soon
as I found out which was real I wanted to cry...then I was pissed...I'm still pissed...here's hoping some of those wonderful exp questions appear FOR REAL
in October...
well, to commiserate, i only had one LG section. i was praying and hoping for another LG to confront me after the break.. it never came. in some ways, my soul is still at the testing center... waiting... waiting..

BobM721

New

Post by BobM721 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 am

theatre festival LG... experimental?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akak179

New

Post by akak179 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 am

chicagobullsfan wrote:If anyone who hasn't taken the test is reading through these threads, a word of advice. Most people here seem to be kicking themselves for not getting through the last LG. A practice technique I picked up in my final week of PTing was to attack sections (whether games or reading passages) that had the most questions first. After all, each question is worth exactly the same - 1 point. This would usually only come into play when I was faced with harder questions.

After doing the first two games, I noticed the last two seemed extremely hard (as most have stated for the last, and some are stating for the third). In 2 seconds I made an executive decision to skip the 3rd LG and go right to the 4th because the 4th had more qs. I brute forced by way through the last game and probably may have still gotten 1 or 2 wrong (maybe more, who knows) but I was able to answer all of them without completely guessing. When I went back to the third section/game, I was basically out of time and ended up having to guess on all but one, but I felt much better about doing it (rather than guessing on the last one) - if I got them all wrong, at least I got less wrong than I would have had I done LG in the standard 1-2-3-4 order.

Hope this makes sense/help. Anyone else try this strategy?

I did this exact same thing....I still think I got a couple(few???) wrong on game 4....and I only got to the first question in game 3...but I think that it ended up perhaps picking me up a point or two that I would not have had

jrodz80

New

Post by jrodz80 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 am

This is kind of a random question but do they let you write on the test booklet? I find that it helps me a great deal to break down the rules of the game into more understandable parts.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 am

BobM721 wrote:theatre festival LG... experimental?
yes

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 am

jrodz80 wrote:This is kind of a random question but do they let you write on the test booklet? I find that it helps me a great deal to break down the rules of the game into more understandable parts.
Are you serious?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 am

I'll join the chorus. LGs were my ace in the hole heading into today. While I'm also solid at RC (even the tougher ones) and adequate at LR, my games are what put me
over 170 in my PTs.
in October...
I like this a lot. I had the experimental LG as well. Went into the break thinking the 2nd LG was experimental only to discover that it wasn't from someone who had 2 LRs. Foxxtrot, did you cancel or are you going to wait and see? I'm still debating what to do.

I wish I didn't have two LGs because I think I felt a little too comfortable on the 2nd LG because I thought it was experimental because it was much tougher. Ughhh. Fucking LSAC..

Foxxtrot

New

Post by Foxxtrot » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 am

Ship87 wrote:
over 170 in my PTs.
in October...
I like this a lot. I had the experimental LG as well. Went into the break thinking the 2nd LG was experimental only to discover that it wasn't from someone who had 2 LRs. Foxxtrot, did you cancel or are you going to wait and see? I'm still debating what to do.

I wish I didn't have two LGs because I think I felt a little too comfortable on the 2nd LG because I thought it was experimental because it was much tougher. Ughhh. Fucking LSAC..
I haven't decided yet. I'm certainly not going to make any rash decisions the day I took the test.
I felt fine on RC, I was ok with LR1...I feel less ok about LR2.
Even if my feelings are accurate. I still ended up at the bottom of my acceptable range.
I too felt the tinge of complacency. Game 4...little time left...I totally punted the last few....totally my fault, but I would be shocked to hear from anyone who had the two LGs and thought the hard one was real.

RCsucks

New

Post by RCsucks » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 am

Alright so for the lift of me I can't remember the 2nd logic game, not even the topic. Does anyone know the topic of the 2nd logic game?

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 am

RCsucks wrote:Alright so for the lift of me I can't remember the 2nd logic game, not even the topic. Does anyone know the topic of the 2nd logic game?
Credits at the end of a movie. Fairly easy/straightforward game

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”