What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

YankeesFever14
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 pm

What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby YankeesFever14 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi I'm fairly new to these forums and have only been browsing them for roughly 2 weeks. After 2 years of undergrad and a lot of thinking I've decided that I want to attend law school. Since I'll be starting my junior year in the fall. From what I've gathered ideally by the fall of my senior year is when I should start sending my applications to law schools. I realize that I'm a bit late into the whole LSAT prep process, but I'm aiming to take my first LSAT in February of 2011 followed by taking it again in June of 2011. So what that being said, I was just wondering if there was a general book or course that everyone recommends to prepare for the LSAT.

I know someone will probably point out the search feature on the forums or tell me to google search my question but I would prefer to get as many responses in this one thread as opposed to searching a forum that's probably been around for a couple of years and skimming through dozens of threads just like mine, while trying to find an answer that appears in the majority of threads. I would also hate to google search my question and go to a site were the majority of people have no clue what they were talking about(from what I could gather there seem to be quite a few people here who could actually provide helpful insight)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 6:37 pm

YankeesFever14 wrote:Hi I'm fairly new to these forums and have only been browsing them for roughly 2 weeks. After 2 years of undergrad and a lot of thinking I've decided that I want to attend law school. Since I'll be starting my junior year in the fall. From what I've gathered ideally by the fall of my senior year is when I should start sending my applications to law schools. I realize that I'm a bit late into the whole LSAT prep process, but I'm aiming to take my first LSAT in February of 2011 followed by taking it again in June of 2011. So what that being said, I was just wondering if there was a general book or course that everyone recommends to prepare for the LSAT.

I know someone will probably point out the search feature on the forums or tell me to google search my question but I would prefer to get as many responses in this one thread as opposed to searching a forum that's probably been around for a couple of years and skimming through dozens of threads just like mine, while trying to find an answer that appears in the majority of threads. I would also hate to google search my question and go to a site were the majority of people have no clue what they were talking about(from what I could gather there seem to be quite a few people here who could actually provide helpful insight)


Most people will probably tell you to go to the LSAT prep forum and follow the advice there. Pithypike's guide is especially good, I would search for it in the forum search and read it.

The absolute essentials to any LSAT prep would be:
-The Powerscore Bibles (especially the logic games one)
-Plenty of practice tests

From there, you can customize your own studies accordingly.

Most people will tell you not to take a class because it is a waste of money, but I personally benefited from one. My score went up 6 points after taking a Kaplan class. Kaplan isn't the most popular on here (I really don't understand why), but I found it to be helpful and thought their materials were excellent (especially their Mastery Guide).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Also, why are you aiming to take the test in February and June of next year? When are you planning to apply?

My advice: do NOT take the February exam if you can help it. It is non-disclosed, which means you'll never know what questions you missed and why. Not being able to re-read and analyze your exam for a potential June re-take would suck, because you would have no idea what you did wrong on the real test under real conditions. I'd go for a June first take and a September re-take.

YankeesFever14
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby YankeesFever14 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, why are you aiming to take the test in February and June of next year? When are you planning to apply?

My advice: do NOT take the February exam if you can help it. It is non-disclosed, which means you'll never know what questions you missed and why. Not being able to re-read and analyze your exam for a potential June re-take would suck, because you would have no idea what you did wrong on the real test under real conditions. I'd go for a June first take and a September re-take.



I was planning on taking the Feb and June test because I wanted to start sending out applications by October of 2011. I'm graduating in 2012, and I've read on this site how important it is to send out your application as early as possible.

I really appreciate the advice. I wasn't aware that the February exam is non-disclosed. I wanted to take the test a few months apart because had I not reached my goal in February, I would have wanted ample time to prepare for the June exam.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 7:06 pm

YankeesFever14 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also, why are you aiming to take the test in February and June of next year? When are you planning to apply?

My advice: do NOT take the February exam if you can help it. It is non-disclosed, which means you'll never know what questions you missed and why. Not being able to re-read and analyze your exam for a potential June re-take would suck, because you would have no idea what you did wrong on the real test under real conditions. I'd go for a June first take and a September re-take.



I was planning on taking the Feb and June test because I wanted to start sending out applications by October of 2011. I'm graduating in 2012, and I've read on this site how important it is to send out your application as early as possible.

I really appreciate the advice. I wasn't aware that the February exam is non-disclosed. I wanted to take the test a few months apart because had I not reached my goal in February, I would have wanted ample time to prepare for the June exam.


June/Sept will give you plenty of time. You will get your September exam back with plenty of time to EA/ED and you will be among the first batches of applications that adcomms with rolling admissions review.

User avatar
ck3
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby ck3 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I have taken the Princeton Review course and I would recommend it. However, it is expensive and I can't compare it to others because I haven't taken any other course. I have reviewed some of the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and so far I conclude that Princeton Review is just as good. A lot of the methods of diagramming games and clues are similar. There are circumstances when they differ that I favor the Princeton Review notation method but that is a personal preference.

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby JasonR » Mon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

YankeesFever14 wrote:I realize that I'm a bit late into the whole LSAT prep process


Jesus Christ, you're many months away from being "a bit late."

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon May 31, 2010 9:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:Kaplan isn't the most popular on here (I really don't understand why), but I found it to be helpful and thought their materials were excellent (especially their Mastery Guide).


Their Mastery Practice book is very useful since it groups questions together by type. However, I personally prefer the way the Traciela Grouped by Type books categorize things (especially since the Mastery Practice book doesn't distinguish between Necessary Assumptions and Sufficient Assumptions.)

The Endurance Practice book is also good, but I wish it didn't use sections from really old PrepTests for the 5th "experimental" section in each exam.

-Steve

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby jeremydc » Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 pm

I think you have a lot of time, I am planning on taking the feb lsat as well but most say itsa bad because you cant see your score(what you got wrong)?

I am actually graduating next Fall so that means I will send out my LSAT scores from Feb next sept (or however early each school allows)

Taking the Feb would be ideal because If I dont get a 170 in feb, itll give me more time to restudy for next june.

rachelst
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby rachelst » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm

To anybody looking to receive tutoring from Get Prepped: DO NOT UTILIZE THEIR SERVICES! Their refund policy (or lack thereof) is terrible. I received the same score after paying $1200 for private tutoring and was screwed over when I asked for a partial refund. Other companies have clearly outlined their financial compensation or classroom compensation for not receiving a higher score, but their policy for tutoring is basically "TBD." I don't want to throw my tutor under the bus because he was very helpful and my practice scores improved by around 12 points, but if you're looking to get LSAT tutoring, GO WITH ANOTHER TEST PREP COMPANY!

Mchele2468
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby Mchele2468 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:42 am

I took ScoreitUp in Irvine, CA for the June 2012 LSAT and it did wonders for me. I reached all my admissions and scholarship goals as well as a 15 point increase in my LSAT score. What I valued the most from the course was that the Professor was always an email or phone call away and I was never left wondering about the answer to any question. I would definitely take advantage of it because he invests a lot of time outside of class helping his students which was almost equivalent to getting a private tutor. He really cares about his students and is passionate about teaching. I heard that the course is now offered online as well so it would be well worth looking into regardless of your geographic location. I made the drive of about 40 miles each way and it definitely paid off for me.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15079
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: What are the best LSAT prep books and courses?

Postby suralin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 am

Huge necro.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests