classes

northwood

classes

Postby northwood » Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 am

I would like some opinons about what class I should take: Im deciding between testmasters class, and its online option, and the princetion review's online class. HAs anyone taken these classes? If so, what were they like. I have heard that in classes depend on the quality of teachers, but I have not heard anything about online classes. I am going to assume( flawed decidin making process- i know, ) that online classes are taught by similarly qualified persons like the inlcass version, but does anyone has definate proof that this is or is not thee case, I like the option of being in my own home and taking it online, but I want the best value and experience for the money. I am planning on taking the class over the summer for the October LSAT, if I don't reach my goal of 155-160 on the June test....

Thanks for the help!

PoliticalJunkie

Re: classes

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 am

Go with Blueprint. It's like being in class just in your home. They have videos (from teachers who actually founded the org), podcasts (helped me immensely on LR), LG videos, quizzes and you physically get all the PT's you need to prepare. I took a chance with them and their class helped my score go up about 22 points (obviously not necessarily representative of all BP customers)

Can't say much about Testmasters classes except a tutor I was seeing who taught a Testmasters course was smart, and knowledgeable, but not a spectacular teacher in getting the concepts of very difficult logic games through my thick skull - then again it could have been me!

stintez

Postby stintez » Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am

If you have studied a lot by yourself spend the money for a private tutor it will help more. They will provide specific help for exactly what you need not a group of your classmates.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 20, 2010 1:24 pm

northwood wrote:Im deciding between testmasters class, and its online option, and the princetion review's online class. HAs anyone taken these classes? If so, what were they like. I have heard that in classes depend on the quality of teachers, but I have not heard anything about online classes. I am going to assume( flawed decidin making process- i know, ) that online classes are taught by similarly qualified persons like the inlcass version, but does anyone has definate proof that this is or is not thee case

Okay, a few things. (Full disclosure before we get started: I teach for Princeton Review, and I teach some of the online classes.)

As far as I can tell, the real Testmasters (the one founded by Robin Singh and based out of LA) doesn't offer online classes. If you're looking at a Testmasters that does, you're looking at the fake Testmasters (the one based out of Texas, which has an AWFUL reputation, though I don't know anything about them). My first thought is that you probably don't want anything to do with them.

A previous poster suggested Blueprint's online class; bear in mind that this is a recorded (not live) class, so you don't have a live instructor you can ask questions of. You can call a helpline, but there's a fundamental difference here between a live class and a recorded class.

We have two online options: the recorded Online class and the live "LiveOnline" class. If you can take one, I strongly recommend the latter. Having a live teacher (two, actually) makes a huge difference. You can ask questions, interact, and do all the things that you would do with an in-person class. Our LiveOnline classes are also much longer and more detailed than anyone else's; we have 55 hours of instruction, whereas most of the other companies have around 30 or 36.

And yes, our online teachers do have the same qualifications (98th percentile or above on a real test, among other things) as our in-person ones. Usually better, actually, because they're chosen from the top in-person teachers.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu May 20, 2010 2:38 pm

If you're looking around at your options, you may find our online courses worthwhile. We have both live online - real live classes - with two teachers and a cap of 25 students. You can attend a free trial to see if you think it's what you need - we're definitely not for everyone. We also do online recordings -- like a "movie". Other than our classes, our self-study program is what most of our students use -- and its about half the price of some similar things out there, as we don't really see how one can justify charging $800 for recording since you're not paying a teacher to teach each time!

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”