What's the highest LSAT score increase you've had/seen?

TOMaHULK

What's the highest LSAT score increase you've had/seen?

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

It can be your score, or the score of a friend/family member, etc, but not just someone you read about online, etc...

But, what's the highest increase that you've seen from the first PT to the real score, or even if you retook the real LSAT?

Just hoping to use this thread as personal motivation for myself when studying gets tiring.

Thanks and I appreciate the info in advance. :wink:

toolshed

Re: What's the highest LSAT score increase you've had/seen?

Postby toolshed » Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 am

Powerscore's greatest documented increase is 29 points (From a 140 diagnostic to a 169 on the test, or something close to that). The person hit in the 170s on their last prep test before the real thing.

I don't know this guy personally, but I am a Powerscore instructor. I see 15-20 point increases fairly often in my classes.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

toolshed wrote:Powerscore's greatest documented increase is 29 points (From a 140 diagnostic to a 169 on the test, or something close to that). The person hit in the 170s on their last prep test before the real thing.

I don't know this guy personally, but I am a Powerscore instructor. I see 15-20 point increases fairly often in my classes.

Heck, I'd take a 15-20 increase on the real test for sure. :)

You guys ever get people that are Raw in the 170's (on their first ever diagnostic?) If so, do you pretty much shiat bricks and think "you little bastard, you're going to a T14...) :lol:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 am

I know someone who went up 20 points from her diagnostic to her actual test, but she started out with a 130 so she still only got into TTT :/

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 11:57 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I know someone who went up 20 points from her diagnostic to her actual test, but she started out with a 130 so she still only got into TTT :/

My buddy scored around a 136 I think on his first ever diagnostic. He ended up getting a 155 on the real test and got into Miami Law (3.9 GPA).

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
toolshed wrote:Powerscore's greatest documented increase is 29 points (From a 140 diagnostic to a 169 on the test, or something close to that). The person hit in the 170s on their last prep test before the real thing.

You guys ever get people that are Raw in the 170's (on their first ever diagnostic?) If so, do you pretty much shiat bricks and think "you little bastard, you're going to a T14...) :lol:

No, I think the highest diagnostic in my classes was a 156 or so. I actually tend to feel bad for those people, because gains come much harder for them. If you diagnose at a 130, learning just a few basic concepts can make your score jump dramatically. People who diagnose high have to take the time to learn the nuances of the test, and it tends to be fairly frustrating for them.

I did have someone come in and miss 0-1 in logic games of the bat with no previous exposure, which was pretty surprising. Just had a natural aptitude for it. However, he would miss 10-15 in the RC, and had a real difficult time improving.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

toolshed wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

No, I think the highest diagnostic in my classes was a 156 or so. I actually tend to feel bad for those people, because gains come much harder for them. If you diagnose at a 130, learning just a few basic concepts can make your score jump dramatically. People who diagnose high have to take the time to learn the nuances of the test, and it tends to be fairly frustrating for them.

I did have someone come in and miss 0-1 in logic games of the bat with no previous exposure, which was pretty surprising. Just had a natural aptitude for it. However, he would miss 10-15 in the RC, and had a real difficult time improving.

I appreciate the honest info.

How in the world does someone miss only 1 on their first ever LG? It's not like LGs are even like college math, it's just...different. (yes I'm jealous)

Rudy

Postby Rudy » Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

My diagnostic was a 171, and it was very frustrating at first to improve (and I decreased a little). But once I learned how to attack all the games it became MUCH easier... We'll see how I do 6/7

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

I think that I made a fairly dramatic improvement: 147 diagnostic, 168 in December.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Rudy wrote:My diagnostic was a 171, and it was very frustrating at first to improve (and I decreased a little). But once I learned how to attack all the games it became MUCH easier... We'll see how I do 6/7

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Reading Comprehension is likely your weak point.

Either that, or you're a douche.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

GeePee wrote:
Rudy wrote:My diagnostic was a 171, and it was very frustrating at first to improve (and I decreased a little). But once I learned how to attack all the games it became MUCH easier... We'll see how I do 6/7

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Reading Comprehension is likely your weak point.

Either that, or you're a douche.

Classic.

budafied

Postby budafied » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
toolshed wrote:No, I think the highest diagnostic in my classes was a 156 or so. I actually tend to feel bad for those people, because gains come much harder for them. If you diagnose at a 130, learning just a few basic concepts can make your score jump dramatically. People who diagnose high have to take the time to learn the nuances of the test, and it tends to be fairly frustrating for them.

I appreciate the honest info.

How in the world does someone miss only 1 on their first ever LG? It's not like LGs are even like college math, it's just...different. (yes I'm jealous)

I only missed one on my first ever LG. And that was timed. I used to do similar concepts only in crossword puzzle-like books growing up. My mom always had them around the house. I was always good at mathematics in general too, so that helped.

It is frustrating having LG as your strength though. Sure, I can count on -2 on the test at worst (hopefully), but then it's harder to improve RC and LR.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed May 19, 2010 12:30 pm

From my diagnostic to when I took the LSAT, I increased 18 points. I've never met anyone in person that had a higher increase. Most of my friends either went up minimally or decreased.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm

mazzini wrote:I think that I made a fairly dramatic improvement: 147 diagnostic, 168 in December.

You bet your ass you did! GOOD JOB MAN/WOMAN! :P

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Wed May 19, 2010 12:32 pm

This is from the waiting room for the Feb. test. These are actual scores, not diagnostic.

kilo21 wrote:HOLY FUCK!!! 169 UP FROM 148!!!!!!!!!!!

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

doinmybest wrote:From my diagnostic to when I took the LSAT, I increased 18 points. I've never met anyone in person that had a higher increase. Most of my friends either went up minimally or decreased.

Yeah, that's solid.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 12:34 pm

WWAD wrote:This is from the waiting room for the Feb. test. These are actual scores, not diagnostic.

kilo21 wrote:HOLY FUCK!!! 169 UP FROM 148!!!!!!!!!!!

So they took the LSAT twice and got 148 and then 169, or they got 148 on diagnostic and then 169 on real test?

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 pm

No, if I remember correctly it was two real tests. He bombed it and then did 6 month of bible studying and test taking.

kismet

Postby kismet » Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 pm

I went up 22 points from my diag (low 150s) to the real thing (low 170s)!

Grond

Postby Grond » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

toolshed wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:

Engineering major?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm

kismet wrote:I went up 22 points from my diag (low 150s) to the real thing (low 170s)!

That's what I'm talking about. :wink:

smartin

Postby smartin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm

11 points for me.

I took the June 06 test with no real prep and got a 150. Last December after three months of studying after work, I bumped up to a 161. Not an impressive score for these boards, but in actual life you don't often bump into people with a 5+ point jump.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Biggest jump for a student in one of my classes was from a 154 to a 175. Kid worked his ass off for a good three months in and out of class. He hit 180 a couple times before test day, too, and was thrilled with his 175.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Wed May 19, 2010 2:00 pm

I took a timed, proctored, 4-section practice test in June-ish of last year. Got a 156 or 157, I forget. This was the first night of a local prep course.

Sep 27, I took the LSAT, and hit 171 .

14 points was pretty huge for me. I wanted 172 or better, but I hit a wall around 170-171, and tested there consistently. (With an outlier of 176 on one of the PT in the high 30s, and something in the low 160s on test 56, the one with the dinosaur game)

Side note:

Along the lines of what toolshed said about his classes, apparently testing at a 157 without ever seeing an LSAT before was enough to make the instructor's jaw drop. I didn't realize that it was that good, since prior to that a friend of mine took a timed, proctored diagnostic LSAT and (so she claims) got a 165. I'm inclined to believe her, but I wasn't there. When I got my diagnostic score, my only thought was "Damn, didn't beat her score"

She's taking the LSAT sometime in the next year. We're all watching to see what she gets.

champagnepopbottles

Postby champagnepopbottles » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I went up 23 points from a decent diagnostic.

Put in the time and work, it's a beatable test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”