Concerned about desk size on LSAT. SRS

TOMaHULK

Concerned about desk size on LSAT. SRS

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Last time I tooked the LSAT, I took it at a college near where I live.

There was obviously a lot of people and some were assigned to take theirs in a stadium seating type room (with the small desktops) and others were assigned to go into a science lab room (I was one of those fortunate ones).

It was definetely less stressful having a table to work on. No doubt about it. I've taken the LSAT twice and the time before that was on a small desk, as the one mentioned above. Putting you scantron behind your book and only having a page open at a time (rather than 2 pages facing you) hurts.

I'm taking the LSAT this time at the one that had half lab room and half stadium seating room. While I don't think it'll make or break me, it would definetley cost me some time.

Just wonder if there's anyway to know for sure which one I'll get this time. Or see what order they are assigning people and try to get in line in that order, although I'm sure others will do this too.

Anyone have this issue/concerned with this? Let's face it, we do not practice test with the book folded in half... :|

StrictlyLiable

Re: Concerned about desk size on LSAT. SRS

Postby StrictlyLiable » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Im surprised that they could do this because Im sure that there is some sort of regulation. Where I take the LSAT there is plenty of room and they test every spot to make sure there is no shadow on the desk that would interfere with the test taker. Im sure there are some bureaucratic routes you could take to complain to LSAC.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Im surprised that they could do this because Im sure that there is some sort of regulation. Where I take the LSAT there is plenty of room and they test every spot to make sure there is no shadow on the desk that would interfere with the test taker. Im sure there are some bureaucratic routes you could take to complain to LSAC.

No way man. The desk that you get to use to take the test is completely random pre test center. And believe me I've heard horror stories. As a matter of fact, when I took the first test, the fire alarm went out a few times (kindda like the one at home does when the battery is low).

You're either gonna get a fair sized working area, or one of those tiny ass'd desk. It's random based on where you're taking the test. :roll:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue May 18, 2010 2:44 pm

According to http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/preparations.cfm

"If your testing room contains only seats with flip-up desktops (usually found in large auditoriums) you have the option of bringing a flat board to the test center. The board can be placed on top of the flip-up desktop in order to provide you with more space. We know you might feel a bit ridiculous carrying a board into the LSAT, but the advantage you get from the extra room will more than compensate. The board should be approximately 18 inches by 24 inches. Please note that Law Services policy allows you to bring the board; however, the test supervisors may not allow you to use the board if they feel it will cause a disturbance to another test taker. We think it’s better to bring the board and not be able to use it than it is to need the board and not have it."

Not sure how many people do this, but seems like it would be an advantage.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Unshake wrote:According to http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/preparations.cfm

"If your testing room contains only seats with flip-up desktops (usually found in large auditoriums) you have the option of bringing a flat board to the test center. The board can be placed on top of the flip-up desktop in order to provide you with more space. We know you might feel a bit ridiculous carrying a board into the LSAT, but the advantage you get from the extra room will more than compensate. The board should be approximately 18 inches by 24 inches. Please note that Law Services policy allows you to bring the board; however, the test supervisors may not allow you to use the board if they feel it will cause a disturbance to another test taker. We think it’s better to bring the board and not be able to use it than it is to need the board and not have it."

Why would the LSAC have it in their guidelines if the test admins can say no? I'll be completely honest here, most of the time they don't know what the hell is going on. Do you think they'll know about this rule? Nope, they'll panick and say no and then you'll have to worry about bringing that thing back to your car. Why would they say no? Because you can have answers on the board (possible) or even a piece of paper, etc that hidden inside etc.

But the desk I'm talking about are not only the flip ones, but there's small desk that don't have the flip (affixed), in this case you're just screwed.

However I do agree that it's out of your control, so why worry. Just sharing based on previous experience and all.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

I had a small flip-up desk for my first test. It was really annoying and could have cost me a question while flipping back and forth and back and forth between pages.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm

I took the test twice. The first time I registered for the place closest to me, and we were put in a big auditorium (with no AC) with little tiny fold out desks that was barely big enough for the test book alone. Because this sucked so much, I looked at online sites that rate LSAT locations, and I found one about 45 minutes further away that it said had "comfortable swively chairs" and "a full table for each person." I scored higher the second time. Coincidence? Either way, I would recommend doing a little research.

You can control what size desk you get (unless the test center uses a room they haven't before or something,but I bet most of them just use the same room each time).

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue May 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Visit the test center before hand. Go to the small test take a practice section or two and learn how to cope with it before test day.

Lessening your anxiety is key.

theZeigs

Postby theZeigs » Tue May 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Unshake wrote:According to http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/preparations.cfm

I can't find anything about this on LSAC.org, but I also don't see anything against it on the page. It seems to me that the burden is on LSAC to say that you can't bring it, but if someone finds rules specifically saying that you can, +1, 180, WIN.

I was actually thinking about doing this on the test day and being politely agressive in pointing out that it doesn't give me an advantage but instead eliminates my disadvantage with a tiny desk.

TOMaHULK wrote:Why would the LSAC have it in their guidelines if the test admins can say no? I'll be completely honest here, most of the time they don't know what the hell is going on. Do you think they'll know about this rule? Nope, they'll panick and say no and then you'll have to worry about bringing that thing back to your car. Why would they say no? Because you can have answers on the board (possible) or even a piece of paper, etc that hidden inside etc.

The tests are not previously disclosed so you couldn't have answers anyways. Plus, this test is disclosed so there's no risk in letting you take answers out of the room? I don't think I understand what you're trying to say... :?:

jarofsoup wrote:Visit the test center before hand. Go to the small test take a practice section or two and learn how to cope with it before test day.

TITCR +1 . I have been practicing at my University using the room with the smallest desks I can find. It's somewhat hard to both use this room and have distractions so I've been using the LSAT Cacophony in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94717&p=2983540#p2983540

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 pm

I know you're new here, but you don't have to put SRS behind every title and post you make. If TLS is good at one thing, its recognizing flames... so we'll know if you're SRS.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm

^^See it's not just me. Others have had to deal with it too.

The link to the site that rates testing locations?

Also, going and practicing isn't possible at some.

As far as the thing about the taking answers in on the board possibility, I was just suggesting that as a reason the admins wouldn't let you use one.

But in all fairness, a tiny desk will effect your test somewhat. And if you don't agree, go home and get out a dinner plate and try to take your next practice test on that alone.

As far as the "srs" comment goes...gotcha, some forums it's necessary.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Nevermind, found the llink:

--LinkRemoved--

:lol:

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 am

I'm nervous about this too. I saw my building and room on my LSAT ticket, googled the room, and it turns out it's a large auditorium/lecture hall type deal, most likely to have the small desks :(

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 am

Knockglock wrote:I'm nervous about this too. I saw my building and room on my LSAT ticket, googled the room, and it turns out it's a large auditorium/lecture hall type deal, most likely to have the small desks :(

I think I'll probably end up with a small desk too because they rarely change the testing rooms at the center and as I said, last time I was a very small few to get the good room.

But, I'm not going to worry about it. The more I study the more I'll be prepared and quickness is the only thing that will help with the small desk/limited room issue. But when I read about how people got a cushy chair and a huge table to spread out on, etc I'm definetely jealous.

Polycarp

Postby Polycarp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I just took the test today and found my tiny fold-out desk to be the most unexpected and subversive aspect of the entire experience. Even the answer sheet didn't quite fit, I had to move it around in order to fill in the answers, then put it away, take out my folded exam book. My pencils kept rolling off. When it came to the Analytical Section, I literally froze because I couldn't draw my diagrams. It caused a lot of anxiety. I suppose if I had known that this would be a problem, I'd have prepared for it by doing some tiny versions of the diagrams in the middle of the page.

In case I get a really low score I won't blame it on the desk, however, in my humble opinion, this problem shouldn't even exist, it poses a serious disadvantage for some portion of the candidates.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm

My center didn't have the fold out desks, but the desks attached to chairs that are slanted. It was still awkward. Not enough room for the open book, so I had to keep it folded and flip back and forth and keep the answer sheet tucked under.

I feel really bad for the lefties though. This university apparently owns no left-handed desks except for a very few in the auditorium style lecture halls with the worthless, fold-out desks. I would have much rather taken the test in a lab that had tables.

sobassassin

Postby sobassassin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 am

Completely agree with this. It's extremely unfair and adds randomness to the test. I agree no one can say they got a bad score because of this but I would say it Is worth at least one correct answer. It's especially harmful for reading comprehension because it's essential to have both pages open. A difference of one point is crucial on this test, and no amount of studying makes up for that. It may be unreasonable to say that an inconvenience like this was the cause of a bad score, or a significant under performance, but it is still completely inexcusable.

LSAC should be spending our fees on making test centers more equal rather than sending ridiculous robots from "caveon" testing services to make threats on Internet forums.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 am

sobassassin wrote:Completely agree with this. It's extremely unfair and adds randomness to the test. I agree no one can say they got a bad score because of this but I would say it Is worth at least one correct answer. It's especially harmful for reading comprehension because it's essential to have both pages open. A difference of one point is crucial on this test, and no amount of studying makes up for that. It may be unreasonable to say that an inconvenience like this was the cause of a bad score, or a significant under performance, but it is still completely inexcusable.

LSAC should be spending our fees on making test centers more equal rather than sending ridiculous robots from "caveon" testing services to make threats on Internet forums.

I lol'd really hard at the last part of this. Seriously.

On a much more serious note, this is a real issue and is one that absolutely needs to be addressed. I first sat for the October 2010 administration, and was placed in one of the auditoriums many people have been mentioning. Tiny, fold out desks where the *closed* test booklet fell over the sides of the desk, much less opening it or dealing with the answer sheet. Not to mention you've got proctors hounding you if your *answer sheet or test booklet is not completely flat on the desk* so you've got to start juggling your book and test sheet under each other and it just becomes a giant pain in the ass on ALL sections. LG games become more difficult to diagram, it becomes much harder to reference back to the passage on RC, and on LR I always answered and transferred per question...which is time suicide if you have to juggle the test booklet and answer sheet. This method of transferring really isn't a time issue when the desk size isn't absurdly small.

I just took the June administration, and I made sure that I was NOT going to take the test at ANY college (where it's normally offered, unfortunately.) Even though I took it at a university the first time, and it was offered closer at a community college (which are typically less likely to have auditorium seating) I went a little bit further and took it a hotel. Sure enough, we each had individual desks 6 feet long by two feet deep along with comfy chairs. Perfect. I'm expecting my score to jump substantially, and while it won't be all due to simply a seating change I do believe it significantly affected my performance in a positive way.

And for the moderator who moved this to the right forum and added a comment: while I agree that it might be more productive to spend the time studying because it IS something you can control, it also needs to be acknowledged that this IS a significant issue that should be looked into, even if it means spreading out test takers across more rooms at big centers.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am

Trying not to be captain obvious, not if you're concerned that the conditions of your chosen test center may not be ideal... go to a different test center?

MarkieP

Postby MarkieP » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 am

tiny auditorium style desks at my testing center as well, but it was the only time in my life that being the big fat lady finally paid off. Because I couldn't fit into the desk without the desk being a tiny bit slanted, I asked the proctor for a change of seat and got to sit at the tables at the back (two other larger people followed suit). Plenty of space to spread out, definitely a win.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”