Help with PT 36 LG games 1 and 3 (diagrams please)

PrayingforHYS

Help with PT 36 LG games 1 and 3 (diagrams please)

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon May 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Alright, so I was doing PT #36 today, and the 4th section is LG. Normally, I don't miss any LG questions in the entire section, but games 1 and 3 really gave me a tough time. Games 2 and 4 probably took me 8 minutes COMBINED (maybe less), but game 3 was giving me all kinds of fits (the seats on a bus with windows/aisles) and game 1 was infuriatingly hard for me (imagine seeing that on the 1st game you open)

After going back, I realized that game 3 wasn't as hard as I thought it was, but I still didn't have a good set-up. Maybe a good set-up didn't really exist for that game, but if someone could tell me how they set that one up, I'd appreciate it.

Second, the first game 1 (the fruits at a fruit stand) was just maddening. I don't know if I missed something or I didn't make an inference, but this game gave me all kinds of fits and I'd really like to see how someone set up this game

I appreciate all help. Thank you.

Cambridge LSAT

Re: Help with PT 36 LG games 1 and 3 (diagrams please)

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Mon May 10, 2010 3:59 pm

The tricky thing about game 3 is that four of the five rules are conditional. Each of the second and third rules, if triggered, leads to exactly one solution. Noting this can help with the questions.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon May 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Cambridge LSAT wrote:The tricky thing about game 3 is that four of the five rules are conditional. Each of the second and third rules, if triggered, leads to exactly one solution. Noting this can help with the questions.

ahhh, ok -- I think this is what made it difficult for me. I just saw a ton of conditional rules and I didn't go the extra step to put them together. I assume that I usually do that extra step if I very rarely miss any LG questions, but I guess since this is only my 2nd LG section in the last few months, maybe I'm rusty.

I appreciate the help.

If anyone had a set-up for game 1 (if there even is one), I'd really appreciate that. I've come to realize that sometimes the games just don't really have a set-up...they give you all the rules and you sort of just plug them into the questions on an individual basis and go from there...maybe this is one of those. Either way, game 1 took me forever..

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon May 10, 2010 8:11 pm

For PrepTest 36, Game 1, connect the rules together to form long conditional chains. In these types of games, you'll often find that ALL the rules connect to form one big chain.

For example, the first two rules in the fruit stand game connect to form:

NOT T --> K --> NOT P

How do I get this?

I'd start by writing

K --> NOT P

and the contrapositive:

P --> NOT K

I'd then take the next rule, NOT T then K, and attach it to the first rule to yield

NOT T --> K --> NOT P

I'd then take the contrapositive of this rule (NOT K then T) and connect it to the contrapositive of the first rule to form:

P --> NOT K --> T

Next rule:

O --> P --> NOT K --> T
----> W

contrapositive:

__________________NOT W -->
NOT T --> K --> NOT P --> NOT O

the final rule is connected the same way, but I use a dotted line to indicate the "or" (the lines above wouldn't have been dotted/dashed in a regular drawing).

This gives you the super-powerful inference that O requires P, T, and W. This lets you blast through questions 1 and 3.

-Steve

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”