Older Preptests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
splay

Gold

Older Preptests

Post by splay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Is there a disadvantage to taking older prep tests as opposed to the most recent? I ask because I have the "ten official LSAT" and "the next 10" books. I've taken more recent tests as well and haven't noted too much of a difference, but in any case, opinions?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: Older Preptests

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Older PT's are still useful practice, but there have been some notable changes in the test from the older PT's to the current ones, such as the addition of a comparative reading comp passage, getting rid of double question stimuli, etc. Take them for practice, but focus on the newer tests as you approach your actual LSAT test date. And definitely do all of the most recent tests before taking the LSAT.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

I find them pretty similar, apart from the games. But others will disagree. I think that a good way to go is start with the older prep tests and work your way forward, making sure to do whatever it takes to take, say, the ten most recent, even if that includes skipping earlier tests.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Games become easier on the recent tests, and RC becomes tougher.

Older tests are worthwhile only if they are used in combination with recent tests. They are especially good for practicing difficult logic games and to get as much arguments practice as you can.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:59 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Older PT's are still useful practice, but there have been some notable changes in the test from the older PT's to the current ones, such as the addition of a comparative reading comp passage, getting rid of double question stimuli, etc. Take them for practice, but focus on the newer tests as you approach your actual LSAT test date. And definitely do all of the most recent tests before taking the LSAT.

There was a double-stimulus on my Sept. 09 test. I cannot remember if the section counted, but you better believe that they might very well come back into regular use.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 pm

sumus romani wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Older PT's are still useful practice, but there have been some notable changes in the test from the older PT's to the current ones, such as the addition of a comparative reading comp passage, getting rid of double question stimuli, etc. Take them for practice, but focus on the newer tests as you approach your actual LSAT test date. And definitely do all of the most recent tests before taking the LSAT.

There was a double-stimulus on my Sept. 09 test. I cannot remember if the section counted, but you better believe that they might very well come back into regular use.
My bad, I forgot that some in Sept 09 had a double question stimulus. I believe it was experimental, IIRC. But if it's showing up in the experimental, it may just make a comeback. That's ok though, double question stimuli were never that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”