October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pocketwatcher

New

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by pocketwatcher » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 am

Do you guys have any recommendations for prepclasses? I will most likely be in Seattle (U-District area) to take it and I'm debating between Testmaster, Powerscore or Kaplan/Princeton. I'm kind of leaning towards Powerscore, but I have the Bibles and plan on studying/working through them earlier this summer. Have you guys heard good reviews about any of these?
I would really recommend OutsideLSAT: outsidelsat.com.

pocketwatcher

New

Post by pocketwatcher » Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 am

Do you guys have any suggestions on study strategies? I took the test once before (I got a 168) and am planning to retake it in October. I will have from August 15 or so to study.

I was thinking about using the Powerscore books, but the problem is that since they use actual LSAT questions, that will make it harder for me to go back and practice on old tests. Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

I was also thinking about just taking a test a day up until the day of the test.

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

pocketwatcher wrote:Do you guys have any suggestions on study strategies? I took the test once before (I got a 168) and am planning to retake it in October. I will have from August 15 or so to study.

I was thinking about using the Powerscore books, but the problem is that since they use actual LSAT questions, that will make it harder for me to go back and practice on old tests. Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?

I was also thinking about just taking a test a day up until the day of the test.
I am not sure I understand why this is an issue at all. You want to be studying and practicing all the time on actual LSAT questions - trust me, there are enough practice tests under the sun for you to practice on with questions not included in the Powerscore books. I would actually recommend against not using actualy LSAT questions. I did buy some books that didn't use actual LSAT questions and let's just say that some of the questions were lacking in logic somewhat.

pocketwatcher

New

Post by pocketwatcher » Tue May 04, 2010 10:33 am

I am not sure I understand why this is an issue at all. You want to be studying and practicing all the time on actual LSAT questions - trust me, there are enough practice tests under the sun for you to practice on with questions not included in the Powerscore books. I would actually recommend against not using actualy LSAT questions. I did buy some books that didn't use actual LSAT questions and let's just say that some of the questions were lacking in logic somewhat.
I guess my concern is that I want to do a lot of full-length practice tests, and if I've already done a number of the problems in the Powerscore books then the results of the tests would be less accurate--I'd already have seen and done a number of the problems. This is less of an issue with the Logical Reasoning portion, but if I've already done one or two Logic Games for each test that seems like it might give my score an unnatural boost when I just want to be taking the test cold.

Do you think it is best to go through the Powerscore books, or just to take a test each day? I know I won't have months and months to study and therefore want to do whatever will be most productive in that time.

It looks from your TLS profile that you got a pretty amazing LSAT. How did you study? What would you suggest?

Young&Blessed

New

Post by Young&Blessed » Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 am

This is definitely the place I need to be I am taking the test in October & I am just ordering my powerscores bibles & flashcards & because I am trying to get into a dual program I have to take the GRE as well....I am going for a 170 minimum :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonpareilpearl

New

Post by nonpareilpearl » Tue May 04, 2010 11:47 am

pocketwatcher wrote:I would really recommend OutsideLSAT: outsidelsat.com.
I've never heard of them before - have you (or anyone else here) used them?

pocketwatcher

New

Post by pocketwatcher » Tue May 04, 2010 11:49 am

I used them the first time I took the LSAT and was really satisfied. They helped me bring my score up from a 156 to a 168.

They use only real LSAT material. You work online with an instructor, so you have a lot of structure to your course of study but also don't have unnecessary hand-holding.

lsatgenius

New

Post by lsatgenius » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:
I guess my concern is that I want to do a lot of full-length practice tests, and if I've already done a number of the problems in the Powerscore books then the results of the tests would be less accurate--I'd already have seen and done a number of the problems. This is less of an issue with the Logical Reasoning portion, but if I've already done one or two Logic Games for each test that seems like it might give my score an unnatural boost when I just want to be taking the test cold.

Do you think it is best to go through the Powerscore books, or just to take a test each day? I know I won't have months and months to study and therefore want to do whatever will be most productive in that time.

It looks from your TLS profile that you got a pretty amazing LSAT. How did you study? What would you suggest?
If you're worried about spoiling problems from doing the problems at the end of the chapter in the PowerScore books, don't do them. (And definitely don't get the Logic Games Workbook, which uses mostly newer tests!) Do the problems from the earlier tests instead. Kaplan Mastery and I think the Grouped Book series organize problems by type, or you can do it yourself with the spreadsheets here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/spreadsh ... -data.html

pilawpcv

New

Post by pilawpcv » Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 am

Coming a bit late to the thread, but I'll be taking it a third time in October. I got a 164 last time which was good but not great considering my GPA. I'm using the 5 month plan from LSAT blog (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/ls ... edule.html), but I will probably make it less intense towards the end. He wants you to do 4 full tests a week! That's tough if you work full time like I do.

About "using up" logic games...I'm not sure that's really possible. I just checked, and the LG Bible only has 20 full games. I think there are ~60 Preptests x 4 games each test= 240 games. So, even if you do all the ones in the Bible, you'll only be using 8% of the problems in existence. If you're really worried, sub older problem of the same type and leave the newer ones for full tests. You can use LSAT blog's spreadsheet (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html) to do this.

Also, if anyone is interested in being online study buddies, I'm looking. :lol: I have a friend I study with once a week, but his goal score is 10 points below mine, sooo yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Wed May 05, 2010 2:13 am

pilawpcv wrote:Coming a bit late to the thread, but I'll be taking it a third time in October. I got a 164 last time which was good but not great considering my GPA. I'm using the 5 month plan from LSAT blog (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/ls ... edule.html), but I will probably make it less intense towards the end. He wants you to do 4 full tests a week! That's tough if you work full time like I do.

About "using up" logic games...I'm not sure that's really possible. I just checked, and the LG Bible only has 20 full games. I think there are ~60 Preptests x 4 games each test= 240 games. So, even if you do all the ones in the Bible, you'll only be using 8% of the problems in existence. If you're really worried, sub older problem of the same type and leave the newer ones for full tests. You can use LSAT blog's spreadsheet (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html) to do this.

Also, if anyone is interested in being online study buddies, I'm looking. :lol: I have a friend I study with once a week, but his goal score is 10 points below mine, sooo yeah.

I will study with you online! I don't know how that will work. PM me.

nonpareilpearl

New

Post by nonpareilpearl » Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am

pilawpcv wrote:Coming a bit late to the thread, but I'll be taking it a third time in October. I got a 164 last time which was good but not great considering my GPA. I'm using the 5 month plan from LSAT blog (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/ls ... edule.html), but I will probably make it less intense towards the end. He wants you to do 4 full tests a week! That's tough if you work full time like I do.

I'd also be willing to study with you online, but I'm not sure how that would work. Feel free to PM me :)

thomas85

New

Post by thomas85 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am

Took my diagnostic & got a 164.... Im not having any theoretical problems, I just need to get a lot faster at firing off the answers. I want to bump my score by ten points, so I am taking each practice section in 30mins instead of 35. We'll see if it helps...

Also Im considering taking the powerscore online course because I live in a remote area. Anyone have any experience with the virtual course?

au bon pain

New

Post by au bon pain » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

I just turned in my final project yesterday, so I'm ready to begin studying for the summer until school picks back up in the fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Wed May 05, 2010 11:46 pm

thomas85 wrote:Took my diagnostic & got a 164.... Im not having any theoretical problems, I just need to get a lot faster at firing off the answers. I want to bump my score by ten points, so I am taking each practice section in 30mins instead of 35. We'll see if it helps...

Also Im considering taking the powerscore online course because I live in a remote area. Anyone have any experience with the virtual course?
No experience with the virtual course but doing the sections in 30 mins is a good idea!

dlbuhr

New

Post by dlbuhr » Thu May 06, 2010 1:38 am

I too am considering taking the October LSAT; I'm currently registered for the June date but I know I'm not adequately prepared (I took my initial diagnostic only just a week ago-157-a far cry from the 170 I'm aiming for). This will be my first time taking the test and I'm planning on applying for, and hopefully starting, law school in the fall of 2011. If I reschedule the LSAT for October, is that going to put me at disadvantage when applying? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 am

June 10 is now my spring training.

pilawpcv

New

Post by pilawpcv » Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 am

dlbhur, I'm hoping to start Fall 2011 as well. From what I've heard, we shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage if we have everything else ready to go and submit apps as soon as the October scores roll in. You can even make a lot of early decision deadlines, I believe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 am

God this thread makes me feel old, September 2009 LSAT feels like it happened just yesterday.

brooklynballers

New

Post by brooklynballers » Thu May 06, 2010 5:05 am

Sogui wrote:God this thread makes me feel old, September 2009 LSAT feels like it happened just yesterday.
out of curiosity, how did you prep to get your 176?

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:26 am

anyone here planning to start full-time revision from mid-june? would like to gather some online revision buddies as well just to keep myself on track and everything :)

dlbuhr

New

Post by dlbuhr » Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 am

Just changed my test date to October; it just made more sense in the long run. So I am now officially part of this topic. Does anyone who has scored 170 or above have any tips?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Thu May 06, 2010 6:08 pm

We shall all score 180s and break the LSAT.

nonpareilpearl

New

Post by nonpareilpearl » Fri May 07, 2010 9:13 am

LateNight wrote:We shall all score 180s and break the LSAT.
That would be awesome. I wonder what they'd even do if that happened?

ali_vigh

New

Post by ali_vigh » Sat May 08, 2010 6:55 pm

ok im taking the lsat in october as well. I have just started studying for Logic Games...its been like a week...now i do like 6-7 questions in like 14 min....that is a lot...i am freaking out...i need to have at least a time of 8 min for these questions...am i gonna get faster...which book btw are you guys studyin?

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Sat May 08, 2010 7:17 pm

I guess I'll be (re)writing LSAT on October as well. Apparently, preparing for June LSAT for a month with a prep course isn't enough if your diagnostic score is below 150... :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”