October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mikialjan

New

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by mikialjan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 am

We're rocking the same boat writing the LSAT this October. I start studying next week, but did a little bit of reading today to see what the books were about. However, I plan on studying the PS bibles on my own and then enroll with Testmasters' in-class course in July.

I'll take a diagnostice after this week once I get an exam out of the way and will let you know how bad I did.

How have you got your studying laid out?
Last edited by mikialjan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 am

im using this schedule for june but theres a longer one that you might be able to use for october

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/4- ... -plan.html

theres also the pithypike guide at the top of the forum that a lot of ppl like

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:46 am

I'm also taking the October LSAT! This is my second retake, I hope this one is more successful.

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Having the logic games questions be your worst section is a GOOD thing as it's the MOST LEARNABLE section on the LSAT. Buy the LG bible as everyone says and then see your score jump!

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:12 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Having the logic games questions be your worst section is a GOOD thing as it's the MOST LEARNABLE section on the LSAT. Buy the LG bible as everyone says and then see your score jump!
Hopefully this is true. I had the LG Bible last time around and I missed something like -14 on LG both times. It killed my score. I am gonna rework the bible and hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatgenius

New

Post by lsatgenius » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 pm

i think i need to postpone till october too...

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm in here as well :wink: (3rd and LAST time :roll: ).

LR is my BIGGEST challenge :cry: . How are ppl. going about mastering this section?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 pm

op-ti wrote:I'm in here as well :wink: (3rd and LAST time :roll: ).

LR is my BIGGEST challenge :cry: . How are ppl. going about mastering this section?
LR is my best section...I usually miss less than 4 which is good for me. For me, it's just repetition and repeating question types that give me problems. Kaplan's mastery book is really great for this, even though Kaplan is not so great.

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 pm

For me, LR definitely is a challenge. I can get -3 on a section or I can get -6! That's quite a difference!

The main struggle for me is to STOP PREDICTING what they will say in the answer choices. Often times, they'll think of a DIFFERENT answer that is just as valid and I end up wasting valuable time searching for the answer that I predicted. I feel like this is a big problem for me.

As for the LG, I'll be using Pithypike's method. I've made 3 copies of some sections already (it's a huge pain). I haven't even started LGB but I plan to in the upcoming week. Everyone says such good things about it (people going from -10 or more down to -2 or less), I'm really hoping I will end up with the same results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 pm

cherryalamode wrote:For me, LR definitely is a challenge. I can get -3 on a section or I can get -6! That's quite a difference!

The main struggle for me is to STOP PREDICTING what they will say in the answer choices. Often times, they'll think of a DIFFERENT answer that is just as valid and I end up wasting valuable time searching for the answer that I predicted. I feel like this is a big problem for me.

As for the LG, I'll be using Pithypike's method. I've made 3 copies of some sections already (it's a huge pain). I haven't even started LGB but I plan to in the upcoming week. Everyone says such good things about it (people going from -10 or more down to -2 or less), I'm really hoping I will end up with the same results.
Thank you for reminding me about making copies. I need to make some today. Anyone else enjoy studying for the LSAT this far out? I love sitting in the library with coffee and my LSAT books. I don't start getting stressed until a month out.

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 pm

hellokitty wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:For me, LR definitely is a challenge. I can get -3 on a section or I can get -6! That's quite a difference!

Thank you for reminding me about making copies. I need to make some today. Anyone else enjoy studying for the LSAT this far out? I love sitting in the library with coffee and my LSAT books. I don't start getting stressed until a month out.
lol YES, I would totally enjoy it if my library wasn't so shitty. (I thought you were supposed to be QUIET in libraries? My library's patrons didn't get that memo!)

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

hellokitty wrote:

LR is my best section...I usually miss less than 4 which is good for me. For me, it's just repetition and repeating question types that give me problems. Kaplan's mastery book is really great for this, even though Kaplan is not so great.

And LG is my strongest.

Where on earth do I get the Kaplan mastery without actually paying for the FULL course to get just this one book?

I'm picking up the PS bible once again...but like the LG is there a place where they classify LR question types in the PT's?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm

op-ti wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

And LG is my strongest.

Where on earth do I get the Kaplan mastery without actually paying for the FULL course to get just this one book?

I'm picking up the PS bible once again...but like the LG is there a place where they classify LR question types in the PT's?
I'm not sure if they do that with LR, I don't have that bible sadly.

You can get the Kaplan mastery book on Amazon it seems. It looks to be around 75 bucks. Well, worth it, it's huge!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
lol YES, I would totally enjoy it if my library wasn't so shitty. (I thought you were supposed to be QUIET in libraries? My library's patrons didn't get that memo!)
^It could be a good thing. This way you will get use to any sudden disruptions that can occur during the course of the test :wink:

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

op-ti wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
^It could be a good thing. This way you will get use to any sudden disruptions that can occur during the course of the test :wink:
Seriously. The library I studied at last time was full of hot Russian exchange students. Needless to say, I bombed the LSAT. However, I did get to enjoy some quality eye-candy.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

hellokitty wrote:
I'm not sure if they do that with LR, I don't have that bible sadly.

You can get the Kaplan mastery book on Amazon it seems. It looks to be around 75 bucks. Well, worth it, it's huge!

I've seen the one on Amazon...but always thought it was fake since there are no reviews on it :roll:

Kaplan sucked BIG time for me. I prefer PS (I can pull a perfect LG because of it)...although, I'm yet to make a break through in LR.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

hellokitty wrote:
op-ti wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
Seriously. The library I studied at last time was full of hot Russian exchange students. Needless to say, I bombed the LSAT. However, I did get to enjoy some quality eye-candy.
lol! Yeah I studied at Barnes & Nobels after work...and despite all the noise, it only worked in getting me some quality sleep days before the exam.

This is my FINAL attempt *sigh*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm

:)

A lot of us are in the same boat here!
And seee? More lovely stories about Powerscore helping LG. A -2 or less on that section would be THAT much less to worry about for test day.

And I wouldn't recommend buying mastery. You can use one or two books from the "10 more..." LSAT series and divide each question into types. It is a lot of work but you save money, too! (You can use the last book for speed practice and PTs 40-59 for endurance practice).

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 pm

op-ti wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
op-ti wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
lol! Yeah I studied at Barnes & Nobels after work...and despite all the noise, it only worked in getting me some quality sleep days before the exam.

This is my FINAL attempt *sigh*
Me too. I just want to get out of the 150s. If I got a 170, I'd die of shock.

noelleF

New

Post by noelleF » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 pm

cherryalamode wrote::)And I wouldn't recommend buying mastery. You can use one or two books from the "10 more..." LSAT series and divide each question into types. It is a lot of work but you save money, too! (You can use the last book for speed practice and PTs 40-59 for endurance practice).
because i'm ocd about books with other people's writing in them, i'm using this http://www.amazon.com/GROUPED-Question- ... 584&sr=8-1 instead of mastery. if i finish it and still need more practice by question type then i'll go through one of the "10 books" with this http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html. hopefully i won't need to because i started out trying to break up the 10 book and it IS a lot of work--i just gave up. i feel like my time is better spent studying than looking up question types.

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm hoping that the LSAT prep course is well worth the $1K I'm going to pay, which was $1450. People I've talked to recommend a prep course because your instructor is a 175-180 person himself. Therefore, whatever questions you have, he can answer them. You can try to study on your own, but adding a prep course is the best way, next to a private tutor, which is a boat-load of cash. I'm still looking at other prep courses, but it looks like I may go with PR unless unless anyone has a suggestion on a different course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

noelleF

New

Post by noelleF » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

are you guys able to do reading comprehension in public places like starbucks and barnes noble? all the noise makes me lose concentration. sometimes i even have a hard time doing logical reasong if people are talking next to me.

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:17 pm

noelleF wrote:
cherryalamode wrote::)And I wouldn't recommend buying mastery. You can use one or two books from the "10 more..." LSAT series and divide each question into types. It is a lot of work but you save money, too! (You can use the last book for speed practice and PTs 40-59 for endurance practice).
because i'm ocd about books with other people's writing in them, i'm using this http://www.amazon.com/GROUPED-Question- ... 584&sr=8-1 instead of mastery. if i finish it and still need more practice by question type then i'll go through one of the "10 books" with this http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html. hopefully i won't need to because i started out trying to break up the 10 book and it IS a lot of work--i just gave up. i feel like my time is better spent studying than looking up question types.
Do they give good advice for each type of the LR questions? There are a lot of types and I feel that LR is the most important with two sections scored, so I'm going to invest a lot of time during the summer on this section.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

This is precisely what I plan on doing :wink:
noelleF wrote:[
And THANK YOU! I have been searching for something like this :oops:

ecrew

New

Post by ecrew » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:07 pm

the 3 available (grouped by) series books are the new replacement for using the Kaplan Mastery. They are pulled from old test so they will not ruin the newer practice test. Having said that, the newer test are supposedly harder, so make sure you continue completing these also.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”