How to become an LSAT tutor for a company?

thatsnotmyname

How to become an LSAT tutor for a company?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how does one become a tutor for a test prep company. Like what's the process and where do you apply? I really have no idea, as I have no experience with test prep companies or their services. I'm interested in potentially doing this as a summer job... My LSAT score is in the low 170s, is that good enough or do you have to have it in the really high 170s to get hired?

Thanks.

Muckduck

Re: How to become an LSAT tutor for a company?

Postby Muckduck » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Why don't you contact the companies and ask them?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:34 pm

170 is generally the cut off.. that's 98%.. generally to get the best tutoring jobs you need to be 178-180

skip james

Postby skip james » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm

typ3 wrote:170 is generally the cut off.. that's 98%.. generally to get the best tutoring jobs you need to be 178-180

haha, where are you getting these numbers from?
thatsnotmyname wrote:Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how does one become a tutor for a test prep company. Like what's the process and where do you apply? I really have no idea, as I have no experience with test prep companies or their services. I'm interested in potentially doing this as a summer job... My LSAT score is in the low 170s, is that good enough or do you have to have it in the really high 170s to get hired?

Thanks.

yeah you could easily become a tutor. it helps to have teaching experience (outside the LSAT is okay). I should warn you though, most prep test companies aren't interested in hiring 'tutors' per se, but rather teachers for their classrooms and tutoring hours on the side.

With your score, I say apply to Testmasters, Princeton Review, Kaplan, and Blueprint (Powerscore and Atlas is out, since you don't have a 99th percentile score, though I suppose you could retake if you felt up to it).

The hourly breakdown is as follows:

Testmasters = 50/hr, no prep time paid for, 1 week of pretty rigorous training with the Singh himself (non-paid, but hotel and airfare is paid for)

Princeton Review* = Ask Tomwatts for more details since he seems to be the PR liaison for TLS. I think pay starts between 15-20/hr, but this is deceptive since you get paid for prep time (at I think 8/hr)

Kaplan* = Pretty much the same sort of compensation as PR

Powerscore = 25/hr for classrooms, 50/hr for tutoring

Blueprint = 60/hr

Atlas = 100/hr, but they are pretty selective as they require teaching experience, a 99th percentile score, and a rigorous training period.

*The starting pay for these companies will be decently higher if you have teaching experience, there are also hourly bonuses if your students like you, i.e. you get good student reviews (at least for Kaplan).

edit:

My personal thoughts: I think the way to go is Atlas, from a money only perspective.

I think Kaplan and PR have an edge on teaching for Powerscore and Testmasters, not because their materials are superior or anything, but because you'd likely get many many more hours, if you wanted, and could really capitalize on the fact that Kaplan and PR have a substantial market share. Personally, I think the elevated pay structure for TM and PS is a bit deceptive, since you don't get paid to prep (which you will have to do, especially if you have an interest in actually teaching your students effectively). Blueprint sounds like a decent deal too, especially for the non 99th percentile scorer.

From a compensation package point of view, Atlas > Blueprint/Kaplan/PR > TM > PS. I'd be iffy about Atlas though, since they are newer and even with 100/hr, I'd be concerned about having a decent number of hours.

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 pm

skip james wrote:Testmasters = 50/hr, no prep time paid for, 1 week of pretty rigorous training with the Singh himself (non-paid, but hotel and airfare is paid for)

Bit of an aside, but any word on that suit filed by LSAC?

skip james

Postby skip james » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Snuffie wrote:
skip james wrote:Testmasters = 50/hr, no prep time paid for, 1 week of pretty rigorous training with the Singh himself (non-paid, but hotel and airfare is paid for)

Bit of an aside, but any word on that suit filed by LSAC?

Yeah I think it got settled, and Singh had to pay like a mill in licensing fees.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm

What about Blueprint? They settle their suit?

skip james

Postby skip james » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 pm

typ3 wrote:What about Blueprint? They settle their suit?

They say they did, but TM is saying otherwise. I doubt it really matters, Blueprint has a sizable market share now, I think they've hit the point of no return, and are bound to become one of the staples of the LSAT prep test industry.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:38 pm

skip james wrote:Princeton Review* = Ask Tomwatts for more details since he seems to be the PR liaison for TLS. I think pay starts between 15-20/hr, but this is deceptive since you get paid for prep time (at I think 8/hr)

Totally unofficial, but yeah, I can answer things about Princeton Review, since I'm a current teacher/tutor/trainer. LSAT starting rates vary a little bit by market, but the number is around $20/hr. for actual teaching time, plus $8.10/hr. for prep, plus $10/hr. for any communication that you do with students (emails, phone calls) outside of class. Number of hours varies substantially by market as well, but if you become a tutor pretty quickly (good reviews from your first couple of classes), you get tutorials at a tutoring rate that's $5/hr. above your classroom teaching rate and a decent number of hours per week.

You're paid for training, too; I think it's $10/hr., but don't quote me on that, and training is two or three weekends (anywhere from 32-48 hours), depending on the number of people training with you. Running one now with 7 people that's 40 hours (five days on three weekends).

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 pm

skip james wrote:
typ3 wrote:What about Blueprint? They settle their suit?

They say they did, but TM is saying otherwise. I doubt it really matters, Blueprint has a sizable market share now, I think they've hit the point of no return, and are bound to become one of the staples of the LSAT prep test industry.

Found the judgement filed june 15, 2009. BP was ordered to pay $183,000 in damages. Less than the 18,000,000 TM was suing them for. I decided not to go with them after viewing them on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2q5t8RR5vI

My favorite is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmBGY0fY ... re=related

facepalm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:14 am

I am planning on advertising in my UG this fall. It'd be easier than going through a prep company. Actually I may just petition my UG to run a course.

If you have a good score and teaching experience find your own clients. If not then best to go through a company. Knowing something and being able to teach something is entirely different.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:42 am

tomwatts wrote:
skip james wrote:Princeton Review* = Ask Tomwatts for more details since he seems to be the PR liaison for TLS. I think pay starts between 15-20/hr, but this is deceptive since you get paid for prep time (at I think 8/hr)

Totally unofficial, but yeah, I can answer things about Princeton Review, since I'm a current teacher/tutor/trainer. LSAT starting rates vary a little bit by market, but the number is around $20/hr. for actual teaching time, plus $8.10/hr. for prep, plus $10/hr. for any communication that you do with students (emails, phone calls) outside of class. Number of hours varies substantially by market as well, but if you become a tutor pretty quickly (good reviews from your first couple of classes), you get tutorials at a tutoring rate that's $5/hr. above your classroom teaching rate and a decent number of hours per week.

You're paid for training, too; I think it's $10/hr., but don't quote me on that, and training is two or three weekends (anywhere from 32-48 hours), depending on the number of people training with you. Running one now with 7 people that's 40 hours (five days on three weekends).

How many hours a week do you work? PR is one of the places I'm applying to teach at.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:55 am

Me personally? Like, a million. But that's because I teach everything: LSAT, SAT, two sections of the MCAT, GMAT, various other things, and I teach and tutor students and train new teachers, and I develop materials for our courses, and I teach online, and I... well, you get the picture. Typical workloads are 10-20 hours per week, depending on the time of year, schedule of course you're teaching, how much prep you're doing, whether you're proctoring your test's classes, whether you're tutoring, and various other things.

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:07 am

tomwatts wrote:Me personally? Like, a million. But that's because I teach everything: LSAT, SAT, two sections of the MCAT, GMAT, various other things, and I teach and tutor students and train new teachers, and I develop materials for our courses, and I teach online, and I... well, you get the picture. Typical workloads are 10-20 hours per week, depending on the time of year, schedule of course you're teaching, how much prep you're doing, whether you're proctoring your test's classes, whether you're tutoring, and various other things.

Is this a deliberate red herring?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:49 am

blhblahblah wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Me personally? Like, a million. But that's because I teach everything: LSAT, SAT, two sections of the MCAT, GMAT, various other things, and I teach and tutor students and train new teachers, and I develop materials for our courses, and I teach online, and I... well, you get the picture. Typical workloads are 10-20 hours per week, depending on the time of year, schedule of course you're teaching, how much prep you're doing, whether you're proctoring your test's classes, whether you're tutoring, and various other things.

I'm not sure what you mean by red herring, but I also found PR to be a great company, and I ended up doing many different jobs during my employment. I used to teach SAT full-time, LSAT, and three sections of the MCAT. I had my problems with PR, but no employer is perfect, and I worked there for four years up until law school. To be honest, PR helped me get into law school and get a nice scholarship with my LSAT score, so the benefits of the job can be substantial.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:17 am

blhblahblah wrote:

I have no more of a clue what you're talking about than JazzOne does.

In case I wasn't clear: I work a lot more than most teachers do, but a typical new LSAT teacher will do 10-20 hours per week.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 am

If a tutor is paid $20/hr while working 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, his income will be:
$20x40x50=$40000/year
LSAT tutoring is quite a tough job :roll:

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:39 pm

I've taught the LSAT for a bout two years now. Where you want to work really depends on your personal situation, but I think one of the biggest factors is how many hours you're likely to get. I get about 20-30 hours per week when I have classes (teaching hours plus tutoring), but that's only about 8 months a year. That's fantastic for me, but only because I have other sources of income and I'm extraordinarily unambitious and don't mind having 4 months of unpaid vacation to travel/lay around. It won't work for everyone though, figure out if you want something to supplement your income or are you looking for something resembling a "real" job.

My company is one of the ones that doesn't pay for prep, but pays $45-60/hr for classes and tutoring. When I first started teaching classes, I would spend close to 50 minutes prepping for each hour that I taught. So my effective salary was almost cut in half, maybe pulling in less than the companies that paid for prep. However, the second time I taught classes that was closer to 10-15 minutes prep per hour taught. At that point I'm pretty sure I was making significantly more for the hours worked with my company that I would at Kaplan, etc. At this point, except when I have to go over new material (maybe 5-6 times per year), I only need to prep maybe 5-10 minutes to prep for a 3-4 hour class. I'm VERY pleased with my company's pay structure compared to that of the companies that pay for prep.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

The other end of that is that promotions jump your pay rate up a whole bunch at Princeton Review, so by the time you no longer have to prep stuff, you're for sure going to be a tutor (higher pay rate) and you may be a high-end tutor (Master instead of Standard), which about doubles your pay rate.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 pm

my friend is an instructor for Kaplan and she had a 166!!

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 am

Is there any more definite information on the score that is needed?

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 am

BigA wrote:Is there any more definite information on the score that is needed?

Each company's website is pretty clear on what score is needed to teach for them, I think the only exception is Kaplan. Since they're by far and away the market leader, and they don't pay as well as many other companies, they sometimes go below the 98/99th percentile score that most companies have.

I went through part of the Kaplan training process before bailing for a better deal.

skip james

Postby skip james » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

suspicious android wrote:
I went through part of the Kaplan training process before bailing for a better deal.

haha, me too. God I hated teaching their methods.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Step one is to stop posting about it on TLS. :lol:

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Step one is to stop posting about it on TLS. :lol:

Haha. Yeah, some people out there were raised by wolves.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”