PT 37, Section 2, Question 21 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CMDantes

Bronze

PT 37, Section 2, Question 21

Post by CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:33 am

I didn't get this wrong, but I'm having a hard time discerning why (c) is incorrect.

Can anyone help me out on this?

yoni45

New

Re: PT 37, Section 2, Question 21

Post by yoni45 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 am

Well, essentially, what you're looking at in the original argument is somewhat of a form of the Part/Whole fallacy.

The argument establishes that a particular study showing fruits and vegetables can reduce cancer risk uses produce some of which is organic, and some of which has pesticide residue.

On the basis of this, it assumes that the entire group is equal in terms of health risk.

There's actually two issues here -- just because the study didn't distinguish between the two subtypes, doesn't mean that both subtypes are equal to each other in any respect. Furthermore, the original study was only regarding certain types of cancer, not over "health risk" overall.

Answer choice (C) never takes results about a certain group on the basis of which it then assumes that all subtypes within that group are equal to each other.

If, for example, the argument went to note something like: "Since the study included both motorcyclists who wear helmets, and ones who don't, thus we can conclude that wearing helmets is no less dangerous than not doing so", then it would be closer to the original flaw.

Remember, when doing parallel flaw questions, you're looking to parallel the specific *flaw* of the argument -- not necessarily the structure of the entire argument.

Hope this helped; let me know otherwise... ^_^

CMDantes

Bronze

Re: PT 37, Section 2, Question 21

Post by CMDantes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Yes, that definitely helped.

Thank you very much.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”