Analog Timer wrist watch for the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eupelia

New

Re: Analog Timer wrist watch for the LSAT

Post by eupelia » Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm

shoop wrote:I've seen comments both ways on this, so I'll ask here:

I've been timing my practice sections with my boyfriend's fancy-pants analog chronograph. It has hands and no digital screen, but it has a start/stop timing button and a button to reset the timing dials back to "0."

Is this allowed on the day of the test? I feel it meets the "analog (nondigital) wristwatch" description on the LSAC site, but I won't really be able to just throw it away if a proctor objects (I'm bringing more than "3 or 4 non-mechanical pencils" but would have no problem tossing the extras in a bin if a sandy-vagina'ed proctor has a hiss).

LOL sandy...ouch.

Anyway, I asked LSAC about it as I was developing my lsat watch and they said as long as it only has a max of 1 minute hand, 1 second hand, and 1 hour hand (or less than these hands), it's ok. So like watches with extra mini hands in subcircles are not ok. Not sure what the theory is behind that?

So I don't think it matters what buttons your chronograph has, as long as there aren't extra little subcircles with extra hands or anything like that because then if a proctor wants to take it they have grounds to.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:45 pm

I emailed LSAC a few days ago, highlighting my paranoia about getting a Misconduct flag.

I sent the following email. I was hoping to get in writing that it is acceptable in case I had any issues with the proctor.

LSAC,

I have an analog watch that has a faceplate that has been changed from a conventional one to one that focuses on easier timekeeping of 35 minute section. The hour hand has also been removed to focus on the timing of these 35 minute sections. It maintains all of the other features of an analog watch, however, including second hand, minute hand, wriststrap, and other distinguishing features. It is NOT digital in any way.

Is this permissible to use in the June LSAT?

Thank you.

They sent back the following reply:

Thank you for your question for the Law School Admission Council:

I am sorry but the timer you described is not permissible to use in the LSAT.

Sincerely

I wish they elaborated more on specifically why, but I guess I'm not going to be risking this for the June test.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm

shock259 wrote:I emailed LSAC a few days ago, highlighting my paranoia about getting a Misconduct flag.

I sent the following email. I was hoping to get in writing that it is acceptable in case I had any issues with the proctor.

LSAC,

I have an analog watch that has a faceplate that has been changed from a conventional one to one that focuses on easier timekeeping of 35 minute section. The hour hand has also been removed to focus on the timing of these 35 minute sections. It maintains all of the other features of an analog watch, however, including second hand, minute hand, wriststrap, and other distinguishing features. It is NOT digital in any way.

Thank you.

Sincerely

I wish they elaborated more on specifically why, but I guess I'm not going to be risking this for the June test.
Shit really? I'm going to have to go get a regular watch then and practice with it a few times. That's a huge bummer because I've taken 46 PT's with this watch :(

Mike19

New

Post by Mike19 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:56 pm

shock259 wrote:I emailed LSAC a few days ago, highlighting my paranoia about getting a Misconduct flag.

LSAC,

Thank you.

Sincerely

I'm not trying to kill this persons business, but given this post I figure Ill go ahead and just say what I was thinking. Why not just bring a normal watch to the test and reset it to noon at the beggining of every section? 12:35 = you're done.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

LSAC,

Thank you.

Sincerely

That seems rather fishy, as the creator of the watch has already gotten approval from the LSAC and nothing on LSAC's guidelines say anything about this particular watch being illegal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pisto3

New

Post by Pisto3 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Mike19 wrote:
I'm not trying to kill this persons business, but given this post I figure Ill go ahead and just say what I was thinking. Why not just bring a normal watch to the test and reset it to noon at the beggining of every section? 12:35 = you're done.
Exactly what I did. You can also use a diver's watch (the kind with the ring that moves around the outside) and it works the exact same way.

P.S. - I took the LSAT twice and never had any proctors that checked people's watches. At the first location, we were so smashed together that we were practically on top of one another (so much so that my packet/answer sheet and the people's next to me were almost overlapping) - people had all kinds of water bottles, candy, bags, mechanical pencils, strange watches and no proctors said anything. At the second location, they were more strict about the goodie bags, but I still saw digital watches, watches with 5 different sets of hands, chrono, etc. and no proctor said anything.

P.P.S. - Not that it matters, but the first law school that I took it at is a T2 and the second, a T25.

lebob

New

Post by lebob » Fri May 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Pisto3 wrote:
Mike19 wrote:
Exactly what I did. You can also use a diver's watch (the kind with the ring that moves around the outside) and it works the exact same way.

P.S. - I took the LSAT twice and never had any proctors that checked people's watches. At the first location, we were so smashed together that we were practically on top of one another (so much so that my packet/answer sheet and the people's next to me were almost overlapping) - people had all kinds of water bottles, candy, bags, mechanical pencils, strange watches and no proctors said anything. At the second location, they were more strict about the goodie bags, but I still saw digital watches, watches with 5 different sets of hands, chrono, etc. and no proctor said anything.

P.P.S. - Not that it matters, but the first law school that I took it at is a T2 and the second, a T25.
don't count on them being lenient

when i took it, the proctors were cut throat anal. checked watches, bags, walked up and down the aisles, refused entry to someone because his stub was a nickname while his ID was a full name, blah blah blah. go in there expecting the worst. i stepped inside (literally 2 steps) the classroom, turned around to ask to use the restroom, and the proctor said i couldnt leave until the first section began (because i had already entered the room).

Pisto3

New

Post by Pisto3 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:39 pm

lebob wrote:
when i took it, the proctors were cut throat anal. checked watches, bags, walked up and down the aisles, refused entry to someone because his stub was a nickname while his ID was a full name, blah blah blah. go in there expecting the worst. i stepped inside (literally 2 steps) the classroom, turned around to ask to use the restroom, and the proctor said i couldnt leave until the first section began (because i had already entered the room).
Totally agree - we've all heard horror stories, just wanted to share because I'm bored as hell on my last day of work :D

Still recommend diver's style watch (not that hard to add 35 min to the current time - just don't forget to do it as I did the first time I took the test b/c i was nervous and I hadn't done it in the practice exams (DOH)) or just resetting to noon over some gimmick.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I'll happily forward the email to anyone that doesn't believe me (PM me your email address). I've already bought the watch and think it is wonderful. I was shocked when I got the email, and wanted to pass along the word.

I have a feeling they are being extra cautious, but it has scared me enough to get a new, crappy watch from Target.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri May 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Great, now I'm having a panic attack about the watch. I guess I will go buy the most basic wristwatch possible, and then find something else to freak out about. And I really like eupelia's watch, I've been using one since I started prepping.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri May 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Marionberry wrote:Great, now I'm having a panic attack about the watch. I guess I will go buy the most basic wristwatch possible, and then find something else to freak out about. And I really like eupelia's watch, I've been using one since I started prepping.
Same. I've used it for 48 PT's or so. But honestly, my opinion is that the watch, new environment, etc. isn't going to affect my score. I'm going to be hyperfocused, and kill the test to the best of my abilities no matter what. The only thing that concerns me really is the small desk/lighting aspects of my test room, and finding my way there on test day. I'm going to get in town the afternoon before and figure out my route, where my testing room is, and where the nearest starbucks is :).

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri May 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Ill probably take it anyway, as I doubt the proctors will actually prohibiti it, though its a possibility. That sucks you have to drive to a new town to take the test, my testing center is about a mile from my house.
I just need to remember that I have prepared adequately, and I can only do my best. I really hope that I'm in the zone and hyperfocused on test day, too. Even so, with all the time and money I've invested in this test an extra 10 bucks on a backup watch won't hurt.
Knockglock wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Great, now I'm having a panic attack about the watch. I guess I will go buy the most basic wristwatch possible, and then find something else to freak out about. And I really like eupelia's watch, I've been using one since I started prepping.
</BR>
</BR>Same. I've used it for 48 PT's or so. But honestly, my opinion is that the watch, new environment, etc. isn't going to affect my score. I'm going to be hyperfocused, and kill the test to the best of my abilities no matter what. The only thing that concerns me really is the small desk/lighting aspects of my test room, and finding my way there on test day. I'm going to get in town the afternoon before and figure out my route, where my testing room is, and where the nearest starbucks is :).

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Unless LSAC changes the range of items prohibited in the testing venue, eupelia's watch should be permitted. The only exception is if they claim the right to apply restrictions not made explicit on the admission ticket.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri May 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I knew it was trouble buying a watch like this. Too bad I have taken all my tests with this watch. I will call LSAC on Monday and make sure this watch is not permitted. If it is, I will ask them to email me a written statement allowing me to have this watch. If not, I guess I'll have to buy a cheap watch from walmart or target. Damn the LSAC and their ridiculousness about watches. I think they should have a giant timer in each testing room like they do for sporting events. :)

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:59 pm

If anyone does get explicit documentation allowing the watch, PLEASE post about it here (I'll pm you my email and you can forward it to me). I'd love to print it out and bring it into test day. I REALLY want to use the watch.

I emailed LSAC back asking for clarification on 1) why it wasn't allowed, 2) what I can do to make it acceptable. I'll let you guys know what they respond with.

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm

risktaker wrote:I knew it was trouble buying a watch like this. Too bad I have taken all my tests with this watch. I will call LSAC on Monday and make sure this watch is not permitted. If it is, I will ask them to email me a written statement allowing me to have this watch. If not, I guess I'll have to buy a cheap watch from walmart or target. Damn the LSAC and their ridiculousness about watches. I think they should have a giant timer in each testing room like they do for sporting events. :)
Even if LSAC refused to give you a written statement, which is very likely, you should just bring your watch to the testing site and ask the proctor; after all it is this person that determines whether you may use the watch during the test.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Sat May 29, 2010 2:34 am

Geez that seems ridiculous. Their hang up about watches is getting to be a joke. Is there some valid reason for not permitting this that I just can't see?? They'll just have to take it from me. I'm not getting another watch at this point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eupelia

New

Post by eupelia » Sun May 30, 2010 12:54 am

1. Bring the watch if you have it. I personally would not approach the proctor to ask about it because a proctor is likely to tell you "no" out of fear of the unknown and you putting them on the spot. That would seem like a trick to me if I were a proctor. Certainly don't hide it, but I used it during my test without a problem, of course proctors can be different.
2. Tomorrow morning I will post the emails (they're on my work email) we sent them asking whether it was ok if the numbering was changed and (for those of you who had a picture added) whether it could have a picture like those Mickey watches have on the face and finally where I asked if it was ok if I opened up the watch and removed the hour hand, if that was ok. Print that and take it with you just in case. Done.
3. If you're worried, Bring a regular watch too (and save the receipt in case you don't need it because your proctor was normal.)

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Sun May 30, 2010 12:59 am

Eupelia, you've been very helpful. Thanks for your tips. In retrospect, asking the proctors wouldn't be a good idea; they would rather be safe than sorry. Perhaps just using the watch as a permitted item would solve their dilemma.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks euphelia. I don't want to ruin your business at all. I think it's a wonderful idea! I'm just trying to not get a misconduct flag after all of this studying. And I don't want anyone else to get one either. :)

I think I'm going to bring the documentation you provide along with the watch and ask the proctor before the test begins, just to be safe. If he says it is okay, then I'll use it. If no, then I'll use another watch.

eupelia

New

Post by eupelia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:43 am

Please, don't worry, i know you are not trying to ruin my business =) Anyway when I start law school in the fall I probably won't have time to sell these anymore, so maybe you will be owners of a collectors item!!

Now that I'm starting law school, i'm wondering if it is legal to post the email here since it was my colleague who sent it -- I'm worried about everything now! I don't want to do something stupid and lose my scholly. I will forward the email to anyone who emails me: orders(at) BrianAndClaudette. Com (sorry for the weird format so bots can't search for it).

I guess it is ok to post the words though, right? Right?? So I'll do that here:

Her intitial email inquiry
Hello,
I am trying to find the perfect watch for the LSAT. I have an analog wristwatch where the numbering on the face, Instead of saying 1-12 for the 12 hours of the day, it is numbered for the minutes so the 12 is a 0, the 6 is a 30 etc. Can you please let me know if LSAC guidelines care what the numbering on the face of an analog wrist watch? Do LSAC guidelines not allow you to have roman numerals for your clock hours? So, like if 6 was instead VI? Finally, do they care if it is like one of those Mickey Mouse watches where Mickey's arms are the hands of the clock and Mickey's face is on it?
Thanks!
Kaitlin

LSACs response via email:

Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

Anytime of analog watch is fine as long as it just has a hour hand, minute hand and second hand.

Email back to further clarify:

Hi,
What if I opened it up and clipped off the hour hand with tweezers? I don't like how the hour hand distracts me from where the minute hand was pointing. Thank you!

LSAC's response via email:

Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

If you would like to remove the hour hand that is fine.

Hope that helps everyone who has one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 pm

That's a cool design, eupelia.

I just use an analog wristwatch that I set back to 12:00 for every section. It's my everyday watch, so I'm used to it.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Just spoke to an LSAC rep, she said that the watch is perfectly fine! She said that you can give them a call on test day if the proctors try to tell you that you can't take the watch in w/ you. She said that as long as there are no digital components on the watch, it's fine.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I just got a response from my other email asking for clarification. I asked why specifically it was not allowed. Here's the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

Due to the modifications that have been made on this watch it is now a timer. You can only use an analog watch that has a hour hand, minute hand and second hand."

I don't know why there is such conflicting information. Grr. Oh well. I'll bring it to test day and see what the proctor says.

CryingMonkey

Bronze

Post by CryingMonkey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm

I think what this demonstrates is that LSAC needs to make an official determination as to what constitutes an illegal timer and then put that information up. It seems like the result of each inquiry depends on who is answering the phone/email, which is disconcerting to say the least.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”