The USDA Graduate School (GS) LSAT Prep class Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
scooterj2003

New

The USDA Graduate School (GS) LSAT Prep class

Post by scooterj2003 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any experience taking the USDA Graduate School's (GS) LSAT prep class? It's only $600 for a 36 hour class compared to $1300 for a 36-hour Kaplan course. I would be taking the class in Washington DC. I've already taken the LSAT but didn't score too high, so I need something that's better than just a cursory introducton to the test.

I can't seem to find much discussion about it online, any one have personal experience?

Thank you...

saturnine

New

Re: The USDA Graduate School (GS) LSAT Prep class

Post by saturnine » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 pm

I don't know anything about their LSAT prep class, but I was very unimpressed with the quality of instruction in a USDA Graduate School class I took last fall.
Sorry this doesn't really answer your question.

Graduate School

New

Post by Graduate School » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear that saturnine was umimpressed with the quality of the instruction at the Graduate School. I actually work at the Graduate School and have taken MANY courses and have always been very satisfied. I've taken everything from foreign languages to computer training to leadership and project management. Anyhow, I don't know anything about our LSAT courses, so I asked about them and found out that we actually work with a partner for the test prep courses. The LSAT courses are run by DER through the Graduate School. The courses are 24/25 hours and offered in eight 3 hour evening sessions, or five 5 hour Saturday sessions, is a complete introduction to this difficult graduate level exam.

The instructor guides students through an introduction to the content of the test, to strategies for dealing with standardized tests as a whole, and for the specific kinds of questions on the LSAT in particular. The course offers an opportunity for students to practice untimed questions in class, with discussion about what makes a right answer right and a wrong answer wrong, and for taking timed sections from actual LSAT tests.

The class sizes are small so it makes for a friendly give and take with the instructor, and a useful exchange of studying techniques among students and although shorter than some other courses, this class gives students the tools they will need to succeed. The critical thinking skills and precise reading that is necessary to do well on this test are taught in class, and honed by students doing practice tests both in class and at home. Every question and timed section taken in this class uses actual LSAT questions and tests.

Here are some student testimonials from our LSAT courses:
"I just wanted to thank you for the help and tips you gave in the LSAT class. I called to obtain my score today, and I got a 167, 96-percentile. I definitely could not have done it without your class and all the pointers you gave us. I really appreciate it!"

"She was fantastic! Always made the material easy to understand. Really helped me understand what I am looking for in the LSAT. I am now ready to take the test. I am no longer scared of it. I really like the hints and all the practice you get. I am much better prepared after taking this course."

"The instructor's preparation, teaching ability, knowledge of the subject matter and ability to communicate with the students were exceptional. She took the time to make the knowledge that she understood, to be understandable to me."

"The instructor made the class a positive experience. Excellent individual to prepare people taking the LSAT!"
"The course served as the backbone of my preparation for the LSAT. It helped me improve my readiness and boosted my performance."

"The instructor presented the information in an efficient and effective manner. He was very knowledgeable of the subject, and emphasized key strategies for succeeding on the LSAT. The structure and the format of the class were excellent!"

"Everything about this LSAT course was valuable!"

"Very well organized and kept class on time and on track. Wonderful!"

I hope that helps!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Wasn't the GS unaffiliated with USDA this year?

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

The US Department of Agriculture has a graduate school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Graduate School wrote:The courses are 24/25 hours and offered in eight 3 hour evening sessions, or five 5 hour Saturday sessions, is a complete introduction to this difficult graduate level exam.
that seems like a REALLY short class.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Shrimps wrote:The US Department of Agriculture has a graduate school?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USDA_Graduate_School

"GS Graduate School (also referred to as the Graduate School, USDA Graduate School, or GS) is an independent educational institution headquartered in Washington, DC with regional campuses around the United States. The Graduate School was created in 1921 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide adult continuing education. It became an independent educational institution in February 2009."

"GS Graduate School began negotiating a merger with neighboring Southeastern University prior to Southeastern losing accreditation. As of 7 October 2009, the matter remains unresolved awaiting a final agreement with Federal officials regarding fines incurred by Southeastern."

scooterj2003

New

Post by scooterj2003 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

abbas123 wrote:
Graduate School wrote:The courses are 24/25 hours and offered in eight 3 hour evening sessions, or five 5 hour Saturday sessions, is a complete introduction to this difficult graduate level exam.
that seems like a REALLY short class.
I actually read on the GS website that the LSAT class is 36 hours (six 5-hour saturday sessions, not five) which is the length of the shortest Kaplan course. Graduate School, could you please confirm this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”