Powerscore Bible Trilogy + Testmasters prep course???

tlc

Powerscore Bible Trilogy + Testmasters prep course???

Postby tlc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

I just ordered the Powerscore Bible Trilogy, and I plan to start going through each of the books since this is my last semester in UG. I plan to be completely done with all of the books by this Summer so I could take a prep class starting June/August for the Oct. LSAT (I'm pretty much set on taking either Powerscore or Testmasters). Although Powerscore and Testmasters prep classes are very similar, would there be any conflicting theories or methods if I take the Testmasters course (the Tuesday/Saturday classes are a lot better for my schedule), and would this present a major problem or just a slight bump in the road?

Also, I picked up the Princeton Review "Cracking the LSAT" over a year ago just to get my bearings. Would quickly going through it before the Powerscore books throw me off even more?

vanwinkle

Re: Powerscore Bible Trilogy + Testmasters prep course???

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:01 pm

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

oh and to answer your questions, powerscore and testmasters have almost identical methods

and the princeton review cracking the lsat book is bad. it contains mistakes and is a waste of time. even princeton review course instructors will tell you that. just stick with the powerscore bibles.

maks25

Postby maks25 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:.

+1

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:01 pm

I feel uniquely qualified to answer this since I did this exact routine.

Results:
Pre-Testmasters & PowerScore Practice LSAT: 155
Testmasters Scores Practice LSAT: 159, 165, 165
Post-Testmasters LSAT: 164
Post-PowerScore LSAT: 170

So, what are my thoughts on both:
- The LG techniques in Testmasters and Powerscore are the same. They each break down the different types of games and pretty much tell you the same way to do each problem. Doing one (or both) should mean that you will crush this section (e.g., -0, -1, -2 max).
- The RC techniques in Testmasters and Powerscore are the same. They tell you to read and outline and just give you plenty of examples to learn on your own. This was always my hardest section, but I guess both are right in that there's not a lot to teach.
- Testmasters and Powerscore differed in the LR section. It seemed like Testmasters focused on unique approaches to each type of question, then had you do 100 examples to make sure you knew what to do on each type. Powerscore was much more of a general advice on all questions. I think Testmasters was more useful here, because you could figure out what "types" of questions you were weak on and just do hundreds and hundreds of questions.

So, cliff notes for my advice? I liked doing both, in the order that I took them. Testmasters was amazing in that I had done thousands upon thousands of practice questions before taking the test. Powerscore was great in that it was much less expensive and provided a new perspective on LR questions that I could use to fine-tune my skills.

Testmasters:
+ Lots of practice problems
+ Structured learning
+ Very good approach to LR
- Must do all the questions! This is a serious time commitment, so know this coming into the class.
- Expensive

Powerscore
+ Same techniques in LG and RC as Testmasters
+ Different, though slightly less accurate, technique in LR
+ Inexpensive
- Not as many practice problems

The other piece of advice I have is that in addition to doing the tousands of practice questions is to take practice tests over and over again. In the three months of preparation after my first LSAT, I was taking a test-a-day for the month leading up to the test. This was incredibly helpful in time management and preparing you mind to shift from different types of questions (which is VERY crucial to getting a good score).

Regarding the whole TLS controversy, sure it sucks, but you should do whatever works best.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Powerscore was great in that it was much less expensive and provided a new perspective on LR questions that I could use to fine-tune my skills.

SweetnessUVA wrote:Powerscore
+ Same techniques in LG and RC as Testmasters
+ Different, though slightly less accurate, technique in LR

what new perspective did Powerscore give on LR, and how were their techniques slightly less accurate? thanks.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 pm

IBTMflame

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:08 pm

BOYCOTT TTTESTMASTERS

tlc

Postby tlc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:39 am

Oh ok. Well, I know there is an all-inclusive thread where people posted their methods for studying for the LSAT, but those were not specifically for the Powerscore Bibles. So, for those that used the Powerscore Bibles, how exactly did you go about pacing yourself when studying. Since the books are expected to be delivered next week, I will have a good 4 months or so study before the prep class. How should I divide up the books (which one first), is there a certain number of pages I should complete each week, should I be taking taking the relevent parts of the PTs after each chapter or so?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 am

abbas123 wrote:and the princeton review cracking the lsat book is bad. it contains mistakes and is a waste of time. even princeton review course instructors will tell you that.

This is untrue. I used it on my way to my 176.

However, our techniques and the TM/PS/BP approach are not quite the same, so trying to move from one to the other might be disorienting.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61915#p1319024

EarlCat wrote:Princeton Review had some lame course materials back in the day, and their "Cracking the LSAT" book sucks, but their new hyperlearning curriculum is actually really good (full disclosure: I used to teach for them).

lawschoolhopeful123

Postby lawschoolhopeful123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Is TestMasters not good because of board resentment or because of quality of course? I am seriously thinking about taking the Testmasters course since my friends gave rave reviews; yet I don't want to pay/have the money to pay 1500.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 pm

how are you thinking about it if you don't have the money?

and if sweetnessUVA could get back to me, that'd be great thanks.

lawschoolhopeful123

Postby lawschoolhopeful123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:53 pm

well, if the course is really worth it, then I may be able to save elsewhere for the course. I might opt for the Blueprint movie course instead, since it's cheaper. Hopefully it's the same caliber!

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:18 pm

I guess the easiest way to describe the difference is how the two courses approach the question stems. Now, I haven't looked at these books in about six months (YES!) but from what I recall:

Testmasters has looked at all the former tests and has been able to classify all the question stems into one of about fifteen (?) categories. For each of these categories, they've outlined a way how to solve every problem, then give you a list of every problem offered in the past from this stem. By doing thousands upon thousands of these questions, you get really good at noticing the stem and recognizing how to go about answering the question based on what TM taught you. On the other hand, Powerscore doesn't break down the questions into nearly as many categories and then doesn't provide as many examples to hone your skills on.

Was it worth a difference of $1500? For me - yes. The money wasn't as important as doing well on the test, I was able to devote myself fully to studying, and achieved the score I wanted/was accepted into the school of my dreams (yes - sounds cheesy, but true). Whether it is worth it though is a question that is entirely up to you. I will say, however, that if you aren't prepared to make studying your #1 and #2 priorities and everything else a distant third, the benefits of TM may not be worth it for you.

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

thanks for clarifying that!

i dont think the issue of how many examples of each question they give you is that big a deal. the TM books might have been especially useful in the past, but the traciela grouped by game type and grouped by question type books basically do that for you now

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm

abbas123 wrote:from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61915#p1319024

EarlCat wrote:Princeton Review had some lame course materials back in the day, and their "Cracking the LSAT" book sucks, but their new hyperlearning curriculum is actually really good (full disclosure: I used to teach for them).

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D
Granted, I haven't looked at the latest version or two of Cracking, so maybe some of it has been fixed by now. (Not holding my breath, though.)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Sorry for the 1 yr bump. :oops:

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 pm

edited out this shits old lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”