Developing Speed on Logic Games

Knock

Developing Speed on Logic Games

Postby Knock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Does speed develop naturally over time on logic games? because as of now i'm taking too long on a lot of logic games, especially grouping ones.

_drifter

Re: Developing Speed on Logic Games

Postby _drifter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Yup, its all about practice. That and more practice. And if that doesn't work ... well practice some more. :wink:

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 pm

_drifter wrote:Yup, its all about practice. That and more practice. And if that doesn't work ... well practice some more. :wink:

Haha thanks. I'm banging my head against the wall with these grouping games so far, I just need to keep pushing I guess until I finally get the hang of them lol.

Traciela

Postby Traciela » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:33 pm

_drifter wrote:Yup, its all about practice. That and more practice. And if that doesn't work ... well practice some more. :wink:

Yes. Drill, drill, drill the games. See my response in your other LG thread :D

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 am

I had a question also about grouping games--figured I'd put it here. I just made it through the groupings section of the LR bible. I'm still having a bit of trouble though. Should I not move further in the bible until I can do grouping games without trouble? So far my plan is to keep working through the bible and using what I learn to practice practice practice

BigA

Postby BigA » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

Knockglock wrote:Does speed develop naturally over time on logic games? because as of now i'm taking too long on a lot of logic games, especially grouping ones.

I hear ya. I recently completed LGB and I still feel pretty hopeless at games. In two timed tests I haven't cracked double digits. And some games actually seem to take me the whole 35 minutes. Has anyone started out like me and actually ended up all right in the section?

I'm better in the other three sections so I'm not giving up on the LSAT just yet

Traciela

Postby Traciela » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:36 pm

deputamadre wrote:I had a question also about grouping games--figured I'd put it here. I just made it through the groupings section of the LR bible. I'm still having a bit of trouble though. Should I not move further in the bible until I can do grouping games without trouble? So far my plan is to keep working through the bible and using what I learn to practice practice practice

It's almost 100% certain that you will receive at least 1 Grouping game or game that involves Grouping on the LSAT. So at some point in your studying, you're going to need to stop what you're doing and master Grouping games--why not now?

Drilling problems at the end of each chapter in the LG Bible may be more helpful than waiting until you finish the entire book. That way you will know right away if you understand that particular game type and should move on to the next chapter.

Now, within the category of Grouping games, make sure you focus on one type of Grouping game at a time. The Grouping game types found here (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html) may be a little easier for you to understand than the Grouping categories in the LG Bible, which some students feel over-classifies.

Drill each type of Grouping game, repeating them until you can complete each game in under 8 minutes and 45 seconds. You will start to see patterns in how to solve them. Then review the chapter on Grouping games in the LG bible and see if it makes more sense after your drilling.

BigA wrote:I hear ya. I recently completed LGB and I still feel pretty hopeless at games. In two timed tests I haven't cracked double digits. And some games actually seem to take me the whole 35 minutes. Has anyone started out like me and actually ended up all right in the section?

I'm better in the other three sections so I'm not giving up on the LSAT just yet

BigA, I would suggest going back to the LG Bible and going through each chapter again, one at a time. This won't take you as long since you already went through the book once. Similar to my advice above for Grouping games, practice practice practice the game type described in that chapter until your timing improves and you start seeing patterns in how to solve them. Then move on to the next game type.

Let us know how this works out for you!

-Traciela Test Preparation

swflgirl

Postby swflgirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I was just getting the hang of the linear games and now I am working on grouping games. I am so lost and confused and frustrated. I haven't really freaked out yet and now I feel like freaking out. I can't drill them unless I understand them and I really don't understand them at all. I have the bibles, am taking the powerscore virtual course and our course books go into more detail and have even more problems to work through but I am really not grasping these at all. I will keep plugging away at them though. Good luck everyone.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Just thought I would chime in as I've been struggling like crazy with this. I've started just drilling LG sections including ones that I've allready finished. At first it sucked because I dreaded doing them and failing, but after a week or so of 8-12 games a day I finally scored my first reasonable score (-4) in less than 35. Before it was taking me 45 mins or so to get -8. So I'm pretty happy. I think doing past sections that you kind of remember trains your brain to leap to inferences faster and makes all games seem more doable.

Mr. Smith

Postby Mr. Smith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey all, LG will come. I assure you, if you work hard at it, it is the easiest section to improve on. I went from -17 LG on my diagnostic to averaging -0s on PTs. Went through the LG Bible twice and worked through all the games multiple times. Just don't give up and put in the hours.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Yupp - practicing is key!

Also do "Not" laws, figure out how to diagram grouping gams with more than one group (like songs that you need to put in order and also which instruments are played).
Use the drills in LGB!
Try to get a lot of inferences in the beginning (b4 you get to the questions) though I've heard that recent tests focus on creating hypotheticals rather than inferences from the rules.

washin34

Postby washin34 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

JJDancer wrote:Yupp - practicing is key!

Also do "Not" laws, figure out how to diagram grouping gams with more than one group (like songs that you need to put in order and also which instruments are played).
Use the drills in LGB!
Try to get a lot of inferences in the beginning (b4 you get to the questions) though I've heard that recent tests focus on creating hypotheticals rather than inferences from the rules.

Wow really? That may be good for me because I think the inferences are what keeps me from getting them done in time. I've been practicing on solely games for 4 weeks now for 3-6 hours a day. While I have noticed improvements, I've only noticed them in slow strides. I consider them slow because it seems as if everyone else who has practiced for that length of time, focusing on solely one aspect of the LSAT has gotten much further along. (They can do any/most games in 8:45 with -2 or less.) I can do some games in 8:45 or less with -2 or less. The rest take either 12 minutes or 20 minutes, with no variation. I usually still get -2 or less. Lately I've noticed that the ones taking 20 minutes have more wrong, sometimes -3 or -4. Starting today, I'm doing section practice and will see if I'm able to do 4 games in 35 minutes. I'm planning on taking the June test and haven't studied LR or RC. I started LR yesterday and will continue to practice LG everyday as well. I'm reading The Economist and trying to get other tips for my RC. I hope this LG comes along soon, because everyone on TLS says this is the easiest section to improve on.

My goal score is 160 and I plan on taking the June test. Should I have LGs mastered by now?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am

washin34 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Yupp - practicing is key!

Use the drills in LGB!

Wow really? That may be good for me because I think the inferences are what keeps me from getting them done in time. I've been practicing on solely games for 4 weeks now for 3-6 hours a day. While I have noticed improvements, I've only noticed them in slow strides. I consider them slow because it seems as if everyone else who has practiced for that length of time, focusing on solely one aspect of the LSAT has gotten much further along. (They can do any/most games in 8:45 with -2 or less.) I can do some games in 8:45 or less with -2 or less. The rest take either 12 minutes or 20 minutes, with no variation. I usually still get -2 or less. Lately I've noticed that the ones taking 20 minutes have more wrong, sometimes -3 or -4. Starting today, I'm doing section practice and will see if I'm able to do 4 games in 35 minutes. I'm planning on taking the June test and haven't studied LR or RC. I started LR yesterday and will continue to practice LG everyday as well. I'm reading The Economist and trying to get other tips for my RC. I hope this LG comes along soon, because everyone on TLS says this is the easiest section to improve on.

My goal score is 160 and I plan on taking the June test. Should I have LGs mastered by now?

IMHO, I'm concerned that you haven't started studying for LR. It makes 50% of the test and as "learnable" as games are, if you arent seeing the progress you need, take a break and study LR for the next 3-5 days. Are you using the LGB?
Also dont take what I said to mean that you dont need to make inferences from the rules, these play a role on at least 2 questions on many games and speeding up to do 4 games in 35 minutes won't really help you at this stage.

Also try doing the games in the PTs from the 40s and 50s (before june 2009). See if those are any easier.

Take an LG section and try to do 3 games in 35 minutes.. you can pick which game not to do (either the one with the fewest questions or the one that seems hardest/is a type of game you are not as comfortable with).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”