Not effectively reviewing PTs? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
letsdoit1982

Bronze

Not effectively reviewing PTs?

Post by letsdoit1982 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 pm

For some reason I'm not getting as much as I would like out of my review of PTs, and I think I'm hitting a brick wall. Does anyone have any pointers/suggestions?

jocelyne

Bronze

Re: Not effectively reviewing PTs?

Post by jocelyne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm

same! need some tips 170+ scorers

Madman

New

Post by Madman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 pm

jocelyne wrote:same! need some tips 170+ scorers

Well I have hit 170+ a few times (however I have just posted about my recent major dip in score), nonetheless what I do to review is write the test timed (mark it), then rewrite the LR sections untimed after crossing out and circling all answers (so I don't remember as easily what I put), then write out an explanation for every question that I got incorrect both timed and untimed. This means writing out explanations for both the correct answer and all 4 incorrect answers.

Hope that helps.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 pm

If you hit a wall first take a day off.
second look at the questions you got wrong on each section and instead of understanding why they are right try to understand how you could have changed your strategy so that you would have gotten it right the first time. sometimes this takes forever.

for example, i got stuck at -1 to -3 on RC for I think 20 preptests until I decided iwas going to take the next four lsats with a different highlighting/notetaking strategy for RC until something worked for me.
And, despite me being totally pessimistic that I would find anything, I found that just reading the passage slowly and practically writing absolutely nothing actually sped up my whole RC time, since I didnt have to look back at the passages almost ever, and if I did it was only for a moment, and resulted in a -0 across the board.
:)!!

hope this helps

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 am

Just make sure to notate in some way every single question where you're not 100% sure of your answer when you are taking the test. Even if you are 85% sure and get it right, review each and every answer choice. There is some reason that the other four answers are wrong in virtually every case.

My policy is that, by the time I'm done reviewing, I want to know for sure why the right answer is right and why the four wrong answers are wrong. That way, if I come to a question where I'm struggling, I have more tools with which to get the correct answer (even if I can't see why it's great, I can negate the other 4 with confidence).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”