Advice please

mcpng

Advice please

Postby mcpng » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 am

I got a 165 in June last year, and a 168 in Sept. Was very disappointed, and signed up for a last ditch effort for Feb 2010 because, for some reasons, I will only go to law school if it's one of 3 top schools that each need probably at least a 170.

But...I don't feel prepared for this test in 3 days time. I think my standard is still around the same, but I would need maybe a 175 to make this 3rd test count.

My question is, should I take and then consider canceling the score after?
Or should I cancel now?

I read that you can only take 3 tests in a 2 year period, and if canceling in advance gives me a chance in the future to retake, I'd do that. If it doesn't, then I might as well just take it.

cardinalandgold

Re: Advice please

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 am

If you are unprepared, do not take the test. Take an absence instead. It will not count as one of your 3 in two years. Study some more, and take it again when you are ready. You will lose the money you paid to register, but that is a small price to pay.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 am

Error...nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcpng

Postby mcpng » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 am

can you find official information that says an absence does not count toward the 3?

All the stuff about 3 tests in 2 years, cancellations counting but absences not, i've only read about them in forums and i'm afraid it might be actually be false. after all, not many people are in these situations.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:48 am

From LSAC's FAQ (http://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/faqs-and- ... st-repeats):

How many times can I take the LSAT?
Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy. However, you may retake the LSAT if a law school to which you are applying requires a more recent score than any you have on record, or approves your retaking the test, and the school provides LSAC with written proof of its requirement no later than the last day of registration for the test.

I think that you are safe in assuming that signing up for the test but not taking it =/= taking it.

mcpng

Postby mcpng » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:13 am

Could

"this policy applies...or it is not otherwise reported"

possibly include the situation where I register and do not show up, thereby having no score reported? for example, if the data law schools access says if I registered and the score, but excludes info on whether I actually signed in on test day.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

mcpng wrote:Could

"this policy applies...or it is not otherwise reported"

possibly include the situation where I register and do not show up, thereby having no score reported? for example, if the data law schools access says if I registered and the score, but excludes info on whether I actually signed in on test day.

It WILL show up, but will be reported as an ABSENCE as opposed to a cancel. Here's another good run down of the whole process:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/cancel-postpone-absence-june-2009-lsat.html

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 pm

can someone plz explain the 3 times in 2 years rule?

for example, if you take it in june 08, december 08, and feb 09, can you take it again in june 2010 or do you need to wait until oct 2010? just wondering if the 2 years includes the first tests month or not. jeez this is like a logic game!

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 pm

anyone?

DiggyHopeful

Postby DiggyHopeful » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 pm

The best thing you can do is call LSAC directly and ask.

adameus

Postby adameus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Frankly you are going to need an outrageous score(178+) from here to get in at a top 3. HY & S will look at all 3 of your scores on the LSAT and unless you have a very good explanation for why your first two scores were in the 160's, it will be tough for you to overcome those low scores.

My Advice: Lower your standards to top 14 maybe, wait until June when you are ready, do well on the test and then apply for next cycle.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”