pt 49, sec II, questions 17 & 19 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Massimiliano

New

pt 49, sec II, questions 17 & 19

Post by Massimiliano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm

17:

In reviewing this question, I realized I don't really understand the question stem.

is "which one of the following an assumption on which this argument depends" equivalent to "conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?"

In approaching this problem, should I view the argument as logically flawed with one of the answer choices critical to help its conclusion follow logically? Does this differ in any way from a standard assumption question?

19:

For me, this comes down to D and E. I don't genuinely see why one is superior to the other...

Cambridge LSAT

Bronze

Re: pt 49, sec II, questions 17 & 19

Post by Cambridge LSAT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

"which one of the following an assumption on which this argument depends" --> necessary assumption
"conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?" --> sufficient assumption

Most arguments do require assumptions. If the required assumption is questionable, the question stem will typically ask you to find the flaw. 17 is a standard necessary assumption question.

19. Choices D and E are similar, but there is a key difference.
(D) willing to pay --> fair salary
(E) fair salary --> willing to pay

Since the argument seeks to prove that professional athletes receive fair salaries, we need the arrow to point to this condition. We cannot infer anything about professional athletes if we start from fair salary (choice E); we haven't yet proven that their salaries are fair.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”