Solutions to Sleeping Before Test Day? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gbn

New

Solutions to Sleeping Before Test Day?

Post by gbn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 pm

I had trouble sleeping before the December LSAT. I did a lot of cardio the day before and took a bath and milk before I slept but was still up in bed too anxious and unable to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been hearing mixed things about taking sleeping pills, I'm wondering if there's any natural products that can help me. Although it seems that since it's more in my head, taking a few sleeping pills might actually be more effective but I really don't want to be groggy on test day. I've come to realize that doing well on the LSAT depends more on being rested than anything. You can only learn the concepts so much, and after taking so many prep tests you realize that you approach and interpret the test differently each time, depending on how clear-minded and focused you feel.
Last edited by gbn on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No1ustad

New

Re: Solutions to Sleeping Before Test Day?

Post by No1ustad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

come to terms with the scores you've been getting on the practice tests, and realize you're as prepped as you're gonna be. one more RC section isn't gonna change your world :wink:

drsomebody

New

Post by drsomebody » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 pm

"I'm wondering if there's any natural products that can help me"

Pour gin. Add vermouth. Mix.

seasnake

New

Post by seasnake » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 pm

You could try a sleep aid in advance to see how your body reacts the next day.

No1ustad

New

Post by No1ustad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:39 pm

stay up 2 before the night before your test, you'll sleep like a baby. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Do you consider anything distilled "natural", if you do then any Russian would recommend a double shot of Vodka.

This pirate recommends some good old Rum.
Last edited by Luis Gomez on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Getting good sleep in the days leading up to the test will be more important the just the night before.

Also do things like scoping out the testing center, driving to it, parking etc. so that you have nothing to worry about the night before. If you are taking a class see if they offer mock LSATs where they mimic all the details of taking the actual LSAT. Get used to getting up on Saturdays the weeks leading into the tests, even take an LSAT on those Saturdays if you want. Don't take a practice test/section in the 3-4 days before the test. Like the other poster said, just accept what level you're at & be ready to roll. If you want some kind of practice in the days before the test just review sections you've already done and see why you got questions right/wrong etc.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Oh, also if you get used to taking LSATs on saturdays in the weeks leading up it gives you a chance to see how you react to a sleeping pill the night before, how you react to 5 hour energies before the test etc. so that you have the right combo of everything on test day.

SJU2010

New

Post by SJU2010 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I agree with the posts in regards to testing a sleeping pill. I find that Tylenol PM does not leave me groggy the next day. Others do leave me in a "sleepy" state the entire day. Also, I plan on drinking a red bull or a double espresso before the test and during my break b/c I am not a morning person. Perhaps you should buy some a day before and keep it in your fridge for the morning just in case. BTW I read about a study that stated Milk does not help with falling asleep, caffeine free chamomile tea does.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kp009

New

Post by kp009 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm a fan of benadryl...but I agree with everyone else, if you are going to take anything try it out in advance.

GoBroncos22!

Bronze

Post by GoBroncos22! » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Easiest solution is to get a case of beer and down the whole thing. This will put you to sleep.

Lord Jim-ish

New

Post by Lord Jim-ish » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Last edited by Lord Jim-ish on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewdak

Bronze

Post by chewdak » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 pm

melatonin
Last edited by chewdak on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Lord Jim-ish wrote:
No1ustad wrote:stay up 2 before the night before your test, you'll sleep like a baby. :)
TITCR.

I didn't go to sleep the Thursday night before the test. I was out by 8 pm the next day and felt refreshed as balls for the test.
I wouldn't risk it. I have heard it before, someone stays up one night intentionally Thursday night, they can't sleep on Friday and some sort of Zombie version of themselves scores 140.
At the most I would wake up early on Friday, but I wouldn't change my sleeping time.

You know yourself better though.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 pm

I agree with those saying get plenty of rest in the week or so before. I was generally well rested but couldn't sleep too well the night before. I got maybe 4 hours of fitful sleep, but it was enough that it didn't adversely affect my performance given the sleep I had in the bank.

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 pm

wake up at 5 am on thursday and friday and exerrcise both of those days early in the morning, by friday night u should be able to fall asleep easily by midnight....btw i had the same problem and couldnt sleep before EITHER of my lsats...the worst part is that once u hit 3am...you start to panic and then you really arent going to fall asleep easily

UTexas

New

Post by UTexas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Lord Jim-ish wrote:
No1ustad wrote:stay up 2 before the night before your test, you'll sleep like a baby. :)
TITCR.

I didn't go to sleep the Thursday night before the test. I was out by 8 pm the next day and felt refreshed as balls for the test.
Whatever you do, do not follow this advice. It's quite possible that you will still sleep poorly on Friday night. Though I tried to rest, I didn't sleep worth a damn on either Thursday or Friday. Somehow everything worked out fine for me, but I'm more accustomed to going without adequate sleep than most. I know of a couple of people who intentionally slept very little on Thursday night, couldn't fall asleep on Friday, and entered the test center totally ruined on Saturday morning.

Just rest well the week before the test. One bad night of sleep won't hurt you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Nyquil usually does it for me

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Chamomile tea works for me, its really mild though. Test it beforehand, as with any method.

Get laid?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:30 am

Exercise and waking up early seem to be the best recommendations.

Get yourself a novel which describes setting with lots of detail but doesn't have a very interesting plight. Read it before you go to bed and don't turn the T.V. on. Watching television will awaken you, while reading takes a mental effort and therefore induces sleep.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cdnguy

New

Post by cdnguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 am

made sure i woke up early the day before, and watched planet earth at 9:30 to put me right out.

lemonpie

New

Post by lemonpie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 am

I stayed away from coffee and tried not to get stressed about going to bed early.
If I worry about not getting enough sleep, it makes it harder to fall asleep.

coyote

New

Post by coyote » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 am

Luis Gomez wrote:Exercise and waking up early seem to be the best recommendations.

Get yourself a novel which describes setting with lots of detail but doesn't have a very interesting plight. Read it before you go to bed and don't turn the T.V. on. Watching television will awaken you, while reading takes a mental effort and therefore induces sleep.
+1

I suggest Moby Dick. :lol:

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 am

ntzsch wrote:sleep as late and as much as you can in the days leading up to the test. you will be able to perform up to your potential on 3-5 hours of sleep. you will not, however, be able to perform up to your potential on 3-5 hours of sleep if you have been waking up at the crack of dawn for a week to "get acclimated"

.02$ for ya! :wink:
This worked for me as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”