Is it realistic to have a puppy during law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UTaylor526

Re: Is it realistic to have a puppy during law school?

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 pm

I went through the same decision, and finally decided that I am gone too much to have a puppy. After looking into it and talking to friends with pets, I've decided to get a cat. They are still affectionate (to an extent, more so with the primary care-giver) but more independent where you can leave to study or even go grab drinks and not have to worry about going home to let it out/make sure it doesn't get lonely, etc.

Just something to think about.

Lily

Postby Lily » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't get a puppy. Get a dog. I'm not saying you should pick the oldest dog at the shelter, but it'll be a lot easier with a dog who's at least a couple years old. Having a dog around makes my life easier. I don't know what it is, but being around dogs makes me chill out.

missv463

Postby missv463 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

no, i wouldn't recommend it unless you have someone around to help take care of it...

i have a yorkie (as you can see from my avatar), and though i love him to death, he was def a pain in the A when we first brought him home (at 3mos old... he's now 11mos). yorkies def love the attention, and i also felt bad leaving him home alone when my family and i had to go to work/school.

i def encourage dog ownership, but you do have to take into consideration the time commitment when it comes to having a puppy (i.e. taking it on walks, vet visits, training, grooming, etc). it may interfere with the time you will need for classes and studying, and it can also get expensive. if you are going to live with someone who is not going to be in law school, then it's def feasible to get a puppy.

also, i second the idea of crate training the puppy, which works out when you'll be gone for long periods of time. PM me if you have any more questions.

LizLemon

Postby LizLemon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:13 pm

thanks guys! greeaaaaaaaaat advice.

Postby 18488 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 pm

if time commitment is an issue, cats are lower-maintenance.

rhinestonedarling

Postby rhinestonedarling » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:18 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:I went through the same decision, and finally decided that I am gone too much to have a puppy. After looking into it and talking to friends with pets, I've decided to get a cat. They are still affectionate (to an extent, more so with the primary care-giver) but more independent where you can leave to study or even go grab drinks and not have to worry about going home to let it out/make sure it doesn't get lonely, etc.

+1. I've had my cat for three years now and he's great to come home to, but doesn't mind that I'm gone to work 8 hours at a time. I imagine I'll be away from home similarly in law school (at the library, etc.) and can't imagine having to go home and let him out every few hours. I almost got a puppy but am very happy I decided to get my cat instead.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm

If you do get a puppy, make sure to get it from an SPCA or rescue - there are so many cute puppies out there who get euthanized for no reason!! :(

Also, I plan on getting a dog for law school - probably a retired racing greyhound. So, I say go for it!!

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm

pikalove wrote:If you do get a puppy, make sure to get it from an SPCA or rescue - there are so many cute puppies out there who get euthanized for no reason!! :(

Also, I plan on getting a dog for law school - probably a retired racing greyhound. So, I say go for it!!

Even retired greyhounds need a lot of room to run so keep that in mind. They also need a LOT of care as they age because of the intensity of their adult life. Then there's the issue of them being emotionally fragile (think peeing all over your carpet when scared). My uncle used to rescue them but since he started a family, they're just waaaay too much work.

With that said, if you have the time, land and commitment, it's a great thing to do. :D

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm

pikalove wrote:If you do get a puppy, make sure to get it from an SPCA or rescue - there are so many cute puppies out there who get euthanized for no reason!! :(

Great choice!!! We have two Italian Greyhounds now, and my girlfriend had a retired racing greyhound growing up.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Italian Greyhounds are the best!

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 pm

theseus636 wrote:Italian Greyhounds are the best!

Yes they are! Do you have any Italian Greyhounds?

andi20

Postby andi20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm a senior in college at a top university and just got a puppy. i'm bringing him with me to law school next year, he will still be less than a year old at the time. its definitely a lot of work in the training stage, but its definitely possible to do. I'd get him/her at least 3 or 4 months prior to starting law school if you can, but once the training is done, its not hard at all. i have a babygate in my kitchen so he can run around and play while i study. i'd definitely say go for it!

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:38 pm

small dogs suck. get a big dog.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
theseus636 wrote:Italian Greyhounds are the best!

Yes they are! Do you have any Italian Greyhounds?

Yeah. I have one. But I don't really have enough time, so a relative is taking care of him for now. Unfortunately, I think it'll probably be the same in law school.

I'd normally agree that big dogs are better (we always had St. Bernards when I was growing up), but there's something different about Italian Greyhounds.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Man, Dog's are like kids that never grow up, and puppies are even worse....
If you ever want to go on a vacation, you can't, because you gotta do something with your dog....
Or you have to go somewhere you can drive so you can bring your dog along, then you have an annoying dog along for the road trip and you have to stop every hour so the dog doesn't defecate all over your back seat.

while I get that they are a great companion and fun to have around, I cannot be bothered to have a dog. I actually wrote my personal statement about how I think anyone who owns a dog lacks good judgement.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 pm

im getting a greyhound too!
theyre the best
huge but actually not very energized, they like laying around and being petted, but they have plenty of energy if you take them on a run etc.

only problem is im worried about enough space for him

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 pm

adameus wrote:Man, Dog's are like kids that never grow up, and puppies are even worse....
If you ever want to go on a vacation, you can't, because you gotta do something with your dog....
Or you have to go somewhere you can drive so you can bring your dog along, then you have an annoying dog along for the road trip and you have to stop every hour so the dog doesn't defecate all over your back seat.

while I get that they are a great companion and fun to have around, I cannot be bothered to have a dog. I actually wrote my personal statement about how I think anyone who owns a dog lacks good judgement.

I hate to say it, but the first part of this post is true. Taking on responsibility for a dog (or cat or bunny...) puts you in a situation where any time you make plans you have that other being to think about. Everything has to be planned in advance - no last minute decisions to stay at the library to study or to go out of town for a relaxing night because you have an animal at home waiting for you to feed them and let them out to pee. Just when you finish studying at 3 am and lay down for a few hours of sleep the dog will puke on the rug. When you get home from a long day and just want to put up your feet for 5 minutes you will have a dog begging to go out - jumping on you, scratching at the door, etc. Your free time becomes their free time.

I am sure this is all "worth it" to the loving pet owners out there but I just think it could be a lot to take on for an incoming law student.

sunshinesam

Postby sunshinesam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi! I am a 1L and adopted a rescue puppy over the winter break. I'd originally planned on adopting a puppy or dog over the summer but decided to wait until I actually got to law school... figure out if I thought it'd be a good idea, logistically, to have a puppy/dog while here.

So far... I feel I've made the right decision, 100%.

There really is a lot to think about, though. Most things have already been covered. My decision to get a dog was quite easy once I knew I'd be able to run home between classes to let her out. I'd grown up with dogs and my family fosters rescue puppies... I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. But do keep in mind that, even if you study at home and will be able to spend a lot of time with your dog, your studying time likely won't be as productive as it once was. You will need to take the dog out, feed the dog, and play with the dog. That said, it is wonderful to come home from a stressful class and have your dog waiting for you.

Also, if you are considering getting an adult dog, please do not assume that things will necessarily be easier than getting a puppy. Remember that adult dogs are adults. They've already had lives, and you don't necessarily know what happened during them. The dog may have never been housebroken, or it may have other habits you'll have to break. The dog could have been abused, neglected, etc., and may have anxiety issues... or may be the best dog ever. All puppies and dogs take time and attention, especially during the transition time when they first get used to their new home.

It may be a bit much to get a dog immediately prior to entering law school, though. The first semester is tough-- there's a lot to adjust to. Training a dog while also getting used to law school could very easily become a bit overwhelming.

If you're up for it, though, I highly encourage adopting a puppy or dog. I'm very glad that I waited until the first semester was over... I've now adjusted to law school and am able to devote much more time and energy to my puppy than I would have if I adopted her immediately prior to my first semester. All the time and effort is, to me, entirely worth it and incredibly rewarding.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I've def. been thinking about getting a dog - I haven't had one in years, and I think I'd like the company. That said,I'm not sure whether I'd be able to give it the attention it requires. I've decided that I'll see how the 1st semester of LS goes, and choose based on that. If everything works out and I do get a dog, I figure I can pay for some kind of doggie daycare so it won't be home alone the whole day.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 pm

rhinestonedarling wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:I went through the same decision, and finally decided that I am gone too much to have a puppy. After looking into it and talking to friends with pets, I've decided to get a cat. They are still affectionate (to an extent, more so with the primary care-giver) but more independent where you can leave to study or even go grab drinks and not have to worry about going home to let it out/make sure it doesn't get lonely, etc.

+1. I've had my cat for three years now and he's great to come home to, but doesn't mind that I'm gone to work 8 hours at a time. I imagine I'll be away from home similarly in law school (at the library, etc.) and can't imagine having to go home and let him out every few hours. I almost got a puppy but am very happy I decided to get my cat instead.

Is that your cat?? He looks exactly like mine! Yes I definitely agree - cats are a lot easier.

Return to “Law School FAQ”