How would LSAC count this grade Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawapplicant2017

New

How would LSAC count this grade

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 pm

If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?

maybeman

Bronze

Re: How would LSAC count this grade

Post by maybeman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Weird of you/your school to do, but it will be counted

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 am

yeah, I don't think a school would let you do this? Unless the course was, like, "Topics in X" and you could take different versions as they were offered.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:yeah, I don't think a school would let you do this? Unless the course was, like, "Topics in X" and you could take different versions as they were offered.

Yeah - this is along the lines of what I was thinking because this is what I did.

There was a class called: "Topics in Asian History: World War II in the Pacific" and the other was "Topics in Asian History: Vietnam"

So I would think something like this would be more common. I've never heard of you being able to retake a class for credit you got an A+ on. I guess anything is possible in colleges now lol. It would be pretty sweet to just keep racking up As :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnfieldTennisChamp

Bronze

Post by EnfieldTennisChamp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 am

lawapplicant2017 wrote:If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?
I "retook" multiple course codes; e.g., my major's internship course code (graded, multiple internships) and honors seminar (pass/fail, one course code F&S, another for upperclassmen). They showed on my transcript with a notation as being repeated. They do count for your cumulative gpa. Retaking an actual course (and a whole extra semester) will look fuckin weird to law schools. They see your whole transcript on the report. Lsac will go ahead and compute it tho!

Take a sec to remember your audience for this application. It's a committee of smart people who review applications. What would you think if you saw an extra semester that was complete fluff? Would you be impressed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 am

your school lets you take the same class over again if you got an A? my school only lets you do this if it's a special course like an internship class or a special topics in ____. that's weird

Fantasyfreak294

New

Post by Fantasyfreak294 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 pm

[quote="lawapplicant2017"]If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?[/quote

If this is still an issue, call LSAC directly and ask. They can pull up your information and give you a definite answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”