How would LSAC count this grade

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawapplicant2017

How would LSAC count this grade

Postby lawapplicant2017 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 pm

If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?

maybeman

Re: How would LSAC count this grade

Postby maybeman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Weird of you/your school to do, but it will be counted

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 am

yeah, I don't think a school would let you do this? Unless the course was, like, "Topics in X" and you could take different versions as they were offered.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:yeah, I don't think a school would let you do this? Unless the course was, like, "Topics in X" and you could take different versions as they were offered.

Yeah - this is along the lines of what I was thinking because this is what I did.

There was a class called: "Topics in Asian History: World War II in the Pacific" and the other was "Topics in Asian History: Vietnam"

So I would think something like this would be more common. I've never heard of you being able to retake a class for credit you got an A+ on. I guess anything is possible in colleges now lol. It would be pretty sweet to just keep racking up As :)

EnfieldTennisChamp

Postby EnfieldTennisChamp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 am

lawapplicant2017 wrote:If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?

I "retook" multiple course codes; e.g., my major's internship course code (graded, multiple internships) and honors seminar (pass/fail, one course code F&S, another for upperclassmen). They showed on my transcript with a notation as being repeated. They do count for your cumulative gpa. Retaking an actual course (and a whole extra semester) will look fuckin weird to law schools. They see your whole transcript on the report. Lsac will go ahead and compute it tho!

Take a sec to remember your audience for this application. It's a committee of smart people who review applications. What would you think if you saw an extra semester that was complete fluff? Would you be impressed?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 am

your school lets you take the same class over again if you got an A? my school only lets you do this if it's a special course like an internship class or a special topics in ____. that's weird

Fantasyfreak294

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 pm

[quote="lawapplicant2017"]If you are delaying graduating a semester, to have an extra semester of 4.00, and you decide to retake a course, you already received an A in, if you receive an A the second time. Will they count both A's? They say they count every grade and credit, so if you fail a course twice, they count both, but what about A's both times? anyone have this happen?[/quote

If this is still an issue, call LSAC directly and ask. They can pull up your information and give you a definite answer.

Return to “Law School FAQ”