Is it true that you can write a "Why X" essay for any school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
T6hopeful15

New

Is it true that you can write a "Why X" essay for any school?

Post by T6hopeful15 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:32 pm

I was under the impression that only certain schools offered "why x" essays as part of their application. However, I have just been told that you can submit a "Why X" essay to any school as an addendum. Is this true? Also, can you submit more than one addendum? (say I want to submit one about an illness which explains a low gpa my freshman year and then I also wanted to submit a "why x" addendum)

Thanks, guys!

galadriel3019

New

Re: Is it true that you can write a "Why X" essay for any school?

Post by galadriel3019 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:18 am

You can submit more than one addendum, but I'd be careful to not go crazy submitting tons of documents. None of the schools I applied to expressly prohibited the posting of a why x essay. In fact some schools offered it as an additional essay topic option.

One thing to consider is integrating why x into your personal statement somehow. I tailored the last paragraph of my ps to why that particular school. By no means would this tactic work for every personal statement, but I liked it because I found trying to write a whole page for each school felt really contrived. But doing it how I did felt like just the right amount of space.

T6hopeful15 wrote:I was under the impression that only certain schools offered "why x" essays as part of their application. However, I have just been told that you can submit a "Why X" essay to any school as an addendum. Is this true? Also, can you submit more than one addendum? (say I want to submit one about an illness which explains a low gpa my freshman year and then I also wanted to submit a "why x" addendum)

Thanks, guys!

bostonbred

New

Re: Is it true that you can write a "Why X" essay for any school?

Post by bostonbred » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:36 am

galadriel3019 wrote:You can submit more than one addendum, but I'd be careful to not go crazy submitting tons of documents. None of the schools I applied to expressly prohibited the posting of a why x essay. In fact some schools offered it as an additional essay topic option.

One thing to consider is integrating why x into your personal statement somehow. I tailored the last paragraph of my ps to why that particular school. By no means would this tactic work for every personal statement, but I liked it because I found trying to write a whole page for each school felt really contrived. But doing it how I did felt like just the right amount of space.

T6hopeful15 wrote:I was under the impression that only certain schools offered "why x" essays as part of their application. However, I have just been told that you can submit a "Why X" essay to any school as an addendum. Is this true? Also, can you submit more than one addendum? (say I want to submit one about an illness which explains a low gpa my freshman year and then I also wanted to submit a "why x" addendum)

Thanks, guys!
well said

Return to “Ask a Law Student”