What is National Jurist's "Professor Interest Grade" Ranking? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stego

Platinum

What is National Jurist's "Professor Interest Grade" Ranking?

Post by stego » Sun May 17, 2015 2:53 am

I'm aware how most of you feel about law school rankings. Most of them are useless at best. We can have that conversation but that's not what I'm asking.

This post is about National Jurist's Professor Interest Grade, and how I can't find anything on the Internet explaining what that is. Does anyone know what this purports to rank?

http://www.nationaljurist.com/compare-schools

Whatever it is, in 2013 Yale got a D, Harvard got a B-, and Stanford got an A+. Cooley got a B+. I just don't understand how you have a ranking without an explanation of what the ranking is ranking.

stego

Platinum

Re: What is National Jurist's "Professor Interest Grade" Ranking?

Post by stego » Tue May 19, 2015 1:12 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... pring/#/36

methodology is here i think
Thanks.

"The Princeton Review surveys law students every year and uses a two-year average to determine several factors. The National Jurist study used two data points: professor availability and professors' interest, which rates the quality of teaching."

I looked it up and the Princeton Review survey asks people to rate "Quality of teaching." The choices are "Excellent", "Very Good", "Okay", "Not Very Good", and "Very Poor". It also asks students to rate "Faculty accessibility" on the same scale.

I don't know what percentage of law students fills out this survey but I do find it odd Yale law students apparently gave their professors a D. I guess they have high standards, or maybe their professors just have better things to do. I also think it's odd that as a measure of quality of teaching they labeled it "Professor Interest."

You know, some people on this board say academics is totally irrelevant - it's all about job placement and cost of attendance. I see the point they're making and TLS is doing prospective students a service if it keeps them from making horrible decisions. But part of me feels on some level we should be identifying the schools with good academics and trying to improve their outcomes. The schools with worse academics should have worse outcomes. I think we do sort of reinforce the hold the top schools have at the top.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”