Is it reasonable to work part-time in law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kharbooza

New

Is it reasonable to work part-time in law school?

Post by Kharbooza » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm going to be a 1L soon. I'm not really sure where I'm going to law school until the financial aid picture becomes clearer. I'll be attending a top 10 (though I doubt this matters to my question). Grades are, of course, my top priority, but I was wondering if y'all thought it would be reasonable to work 10-15 hours during 1L (maybe a total of 20 hours including prep).

I'd basically be tutoring, so no physical labor involved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton!

AreJay711

Gold

Re: Is it reasonable to work part-time in law school?

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Kharbooza wrote:I'm going to be a 1L soon. I'm not really sure where I'm going to law school until the financial aid picture becomes clearer. I'll be attending a top 10 (though I doubt this matters to my question). Grades are, of course, my top priority, but I was wondering if y'all thought it would be reasonable to work 10-15 hours during 1L (maybe a total of 20 hours including prep).

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton!
20 hours total is doable. That's like asking if you could start watching the 8:00 news every night.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Kharbooza wrote:I'm going to be a 1L soon. I'm not really sure where I'm going to law school until the financial aid picture becomes clearer. I'll be attending a top 10 (though I doubt this matters to my question). Grades are, of course, my top priority, but I was wondering if y'all thought it would be reasonable to work 10-15 hours during 1L (maybe a total of 20 hours including prep).

Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton!
I wouldn't first semester, even though it's doable. By second semester you'll know how to read cases and study efficiently for the exams, but things can be time consuming at first. Plus it's the best time to get to know your fellow students. After first semester though, no problem. Though it will definitely cut into social time.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Tutoring or editing shouldn't be a problem.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Tue May 05, 2015 12:02 pm

I echo the advice to definitely not work at least your first semester. I would even say not your first year at all.

The deal is that some people can handle it and some can't. And the only way you find out is after your grades come it, which is too late. If you're playing the T10/BigLaw game, first year grades are hugely important because that's all your Fall (and increasingly summer) OCI is based on. Once you get the hang of things, figure out how much time reading takes you, how much and what kind of studying you need to do to get the grades you want to get, etc., then you can start mixing in outside things like work.

Work like tutoring is a good option because, I assume, your schedule would be pretty flexible, not require late nights, etc.

I'd also add, if you do decide to work, absolutely no working the weeks leading up to finals.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”