Biochem Student Going for Patent Law, Need Help

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
santiagom2

Biochem Student Going for Patent Law, Need Help

Postby santiagom2 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:37 am

I don't need any of the "law school is suicide" crap honestly, Ive seen it all. I want to be a lawyer and I gotta do the best with what I got, end of story, so help me out here please!

I have a bachelors degree in Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology. Most law school advice online seems to be tailored towards BigLaw. Personally, I want to be involved in a kind of law that allows me to utilize my science background and combine it with my love for writing and speaking. I have an honest passion for rhetoric, and I am seriously considering getting into patent law (Plan B, health care). I am currently on my year off, working as a paralegal, trying to get into primarily a school in my state of PA.

Okay, now here's the catch. I'm never going to make it into the T14. I can retake the LSAT a bajillion times, but my GPA is always going to hold me back. I was taking 21 credits a semester, taking stuff like Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Biology, and Organic Chemistry, and had to deal with divorce and custody battles in my family. The best I can do is get into a decent law school, stay local, try to play up my science background, and hope that specializing will help me stand out in the job market in 3 years. But that is okay with me, I want to be a lawyer. I don't mind just staying in Pennsylvania, and Im not striving to work in a general BigLaw firm. I don't mind gradually chipping away student debt if it means I get to have a good education and do something I love.

Realistically for me, my number one school is Temple. I would love to live and work in Philly. Im waiting to hear from them as well as Penn State, Rutgers, Villanova, Drexel, Syracuse, and Catholic U. Ive been accepted into Creighton and Duquesne so far, my back up schools. From what I understand, Creighton is a better school (but Nebraska suuuuuuucks!). Duquesne has jumped up in ranking and is at least in state, Pittsburgh is a good city.

SO I NEED INPUT HERE, is it going to help me out that I have my Biochem degree? Am I going to be playing by different rules since I am going to take a Patent bar most likely?? And if WORST CASE SCENARIO I need to choose between Creighton and Duquesne, which would be better and would they be even worth considering in my specific case??

Thanks guys!

yot11

Re: Biochem Student Going for Patent Law, Need Help

Postby yot11 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 am

I would talk to a lot of recently hired patent lawyers at the kind of firms you're looking to work at. Biochem (and other life science degrees) very often think that they are in hot demand for patent law, but in reality, only PhD student are really in demand for life sciences. The clients that you will be working with will have PhDs, and they will not want to work with a lawyer that does not.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Please only post the same question once. I replied to the post in "Choosing a law school" forum because that's the more appropriate location.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”