which undergraduate degree will get me into law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SwoopG111

which undergraduate degree will get me into law school?

Postby SwoopG111 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello everybody, i just registered and am starting my first class in community college. as of right now i am just going to school for my associates art degree then a general education major. ive done lots of research and i know for sure that i want to go to law school to one of the ivy league schools or if not then one of the top 25 law schools available. i want to give myself the best chance possible of making it and im not sure this general education major will do the trick. would a political science major or an English major help me in the long run? if not then which degree looks best when trying to get into law school? if u have any advise to give me on what i should major in please help. it will be greatly appreciated. thank you!! :?: :?: :?: :D

IAFG

Re: which undergraduate degree will get me into law school?

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Any degree will get you into law school.

SwoopG111

Postby SwoopG111 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:57 pm

IAFG wrote:Any degree will get you into law school.

but wont knowledge in certain areas help you out a little bit more than others?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm

SwoopG111 wrote:

An engineering or computer science degree would help. Can you maintain a 3.8+ in one of those majors?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Major in a degree that will get you a job upon graduation. Then decide if you want to go to law school.

SwoopG111

Postby SwoopG111 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm

IAFG wrote:
SwoopG111 wrote:

An engineering or computer science degree would help. Can you maintain a 3.8+ in one of those majors?

y would u suggest an engineering or computer science degree? does that have any relation to law school or is that just something to fall back on if i cant get a job upon graduation? the reason y i was told to look into an English major is because i hear that in law school you will need to be an excellent reader and writer. but to answer your question yes if i were to get into engineering or computer science then im sure i could maintain a 3.8 plus. i love the computers and the engineering field. just love law and the political field more.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm

English is a bogus major. If you are going to major in something humanities related, it might as well be philosophy or something thats like English-applied. Probably more substantively similar to law than English as well. Not that it will help you if you go non-lawl.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

SwoopG111 wrote: but to answer your question yes if i were to get into engineering or computer science then im sure i could maintain a 3.8 plus. i love the computers and the engineering field. just love law and the political field more.

This can't be real.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:02 pm

They are recommending a hard science background because that will allow you to go into intellectual Property (IP) law, which is one of the only fields of law that is growing. Getting a job after law school is the more important thing to prepare for, not getting into a law school (though whatever you do, get good grades). And good reading and writing skills will come in handy no matter what you do.

Return to “Law School FAQ”