Would you do it over again? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UnicornDemon

New

Would you do it over again?

Post by UnicornDemon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Knowing what you know now, if given the option to back in time all the way to undergrad, would have chosen to become a lawyer again?

If no, what would you have done instead?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Would you do it over again?

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 pm

I would still have been a lawyer....

But I would love to go back in time and make better grades + retake the lsat

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:35 pm

No. I enjoy law school, like my school and love the city I am in.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Yes and no.

I enjoyed law school and think I'll enjoy being an attorney. I have some great opportunities ahead of me. However, I also have a lot of debt that, although I can pay off relatively quickly, I'm not sure was the most prudent choice.

If I could go back and do it all over again I'd probably give pre-med or engineering a try. You can deal with pretty interesting subject matter, be intellectually challenged, and have a pretty good career that may provide more balance.

On the other hand, I may very well have gone back and actually just showed up to class my first two years, get close to a 4.0, study for the LSAT, and then only go to a good school with a large scholarship.

I think most students, especially those in their earlier 20's right out of college, have very little idea what $200,000 (or now, ever closer to $300,000) in non-dischargeable debt really means in terms of not only fear of losing (or needing to keep) a job, but even as far as what happens if they find some other passion in life. At that age I doubt many people have had expansive life experience and probably haven't had a chance to experience or consider some things that may intrigue or drive them. But once you start school, gunning for that sense of career or professionalism and purpose, you're pretty much locked-out of other opportunities that you might only have when you're younger.

Given all that, and what I'll be doing in a couple months after the bar, I am happy how things ended up. But that doesn't mean I don't wish I took some other chances and tried to find some other things out in life before getting here instead of being in a hurry to get where I am now. And although I can still do some of those things now, I'm more constrained than I would be if I didn't have the debt I do now, or had I taken those chances before going to law school.

Just my $0.02 for whatever it's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”