Should I go?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Dr. Dre

Re: Should I go?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 pm

sabanist wrote:OP, your major is irrelevant for the purpose of applications. One of my majors is CJ and I'm going to HLS next year.

..says the person with 4.0+ gpa and 177 LSAT score...

yup this person is representative of MOST, if not all, CJ majors

Postby y2zipper » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 am

Law Enforcement as a market is atrocious from my experience/perspective.

But yeah, you should not go to law school if you have doubts about being a lawyer. Hell, you shouldn't go to any college without some idea of what you want as a career coming out and what chance you have of getting it. It's too expensive and time-consuming to screw around.

Postby LexLeon » Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
TLS wrote:Because of Harvard's propensity to rely on numbers more heavily than most of its peers, the sage advice offered on TLS is to select the major that will most likely result in an LSDAS cumulative GPA approximating 4.0. On the other hand, students who majored in Criminal Justice are very hard to find at HLS, if they exist at all.

Correlation/causation much? (Also, it could be about bias in favor of certain schools rather than against the major, as I doubt most elite undergrads offer a criminal justice major.)

Thank you for pointing out the correlation/causation conflation, for which some people here seem to be quite notorious.

One of the few studies on the association between major and LSAT score showed that Criminal Justice majors had a lower than median average LSAT score.

("LSAT Scores of Economics Majors: The 2008-2009 Class Update by Michael Nieswiadomy.")

Return to “Law School FAQ”