(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Postby thomasyin2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am

Last edited by thomasyin2 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Should you explain your GPA and LSAT score when...

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am

Edited for harshness:

Don't write an addendum, these are just excuses and schools won't like that. They won't treat you like a 180/4.0 just because you think you are capable of that. Keep retaking the LSAT until you get the score you want/need.

Re: Should you explain your GPA and LSAT score when...

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am

thomasyin2 wrote:LSAT: English is your second language and you didn't learn it until late teenage years.
Hell no. US laws are in english. If you don't have a firm grasp on the language, you won't succeed in law school or as a lawyer. Telling law school that you don't have a firm grasp on english is a good way to get auto-dinged.

thomasyin2 wrote:GPA: International applicant has no numerical GPA, but only a categorical GPA (which I'm the second highest, just below the highest "superior" category one could possible achieve). However a family member's death and immediate inheritance lawsuit combined with English being the second language had disadvantaged me in obtaining the highest GPA possible (also working 30 hours a week). I do believe that I could be "superior" category if not for those factors.
Also no. Since your GPA is categorical, it can't hurt or help medians. Thus, schools will not care about your category unless it actually says superior (then it's a minor soft). Do not write an addendum for not getting superior; they don't care.

Return to “Law School FAQ”