Joining ABA as a OL? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

Joining ABA as a OL?

Post by bdm261 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:31 am

Should I do it? Or should I wait until I'm an actual law student? Any benefits?

I saw they offer memberships for undergrad students and the general public. I graduate in two weeks, so probably not eligible for the undergrad. If I make a general public account can I later turn it into a law student account?

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Joining ABA as a OL?

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 am

Just wait until you are a law student. I don't see the point of joining as a 0L. Hell, most law students don't join, but they should.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 am

"General public accounts"? The ABA's insatiable appetite to increase it's membership revenue is ridiculous.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 am

patrickd139 wrote:"General public accounts"? The ABA's insatiable appetite to increase it's membership revenue is ridiculous.
They actually call it an "Associate" account.

From ABA - http://www.americanbar.org/membership/j ... renew.html

---------
Associate
Join now as an associate member
If you wish to join the ABA but are not a student or licensed U.S. attorney, you may
join the ABA as an Associate.
---------

And it's $175 annually for a "non-lawyer, non-student" membership compared to $25 for law students or undergrad, I think I'll pass.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 am

What's the point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58 am

bk187 wrote:What's the point?
Networking opportunities, receiving updates about major court decisions, resume booster, etc.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm

bdm261 wrote:Networking opportunities, receiving updates about major court decisions, resume booster, etc.
There are much better ways to network, you don't need to pay money to get updates on major decisions, and it's not a resume booster.

I wouldn't pay for it as a 0L. I don't pay for it as a law student (unless it's somehow automatically paid through my tuition and I'm not noticing it). Save your money.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 pm

bk187 wrote:
bdm261 wrote:Networking opportunities, receiving updates about major court decisions, resume booster, etc.
There are much better ways to network, you don't need to pay money to get updates on major decisions, and it's not a resume booster.

I wouldn't pay for it as a 0L. I don't pay for it as a law student (unless it's somehow automatically paid through my tuition and I'm not noticing it). Save your money.
To elaborate, I agree with bk's end result (don't join as a 0L), but not necessarily his view of ABA membership as a law student. In that context, it's still not a resume booster, but in some fields (like taxation or family law) and in some locations (more rural or suburban locales) and with some types of employers (small- and mid-size firms, as opposed to biglawl) becoming involved in sections of the ABA as a law student can be a valuable way to network. It's cheaper than regular membership, and local counsel in many areas sometimes host events for law students.

Like bk said, don't do it now. But don't write it off completely in law school either. Unless you want to do biglaw. In that case, even paying the modest law student membership fee is probably wasteful.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 pm

patrickd139 wrote:To elaborate, I agree with bk's end result (don't join as a 0L), but not necessarily his view of ABA membership as a law student. In that context, it's still not a resume booster, but in some fields (like taxation or family law) and in some locations (more rural or suburban locales) and with some types of employers (small- and mid-size firms, as opposed to biglawl) becoming involved in sections of the ABA as a law student can be a valuable way to network. It's cheaper than regular membership, and local counsel in many areas sometimes host events for law students.

Like bk said, don't do it now. But don't write it off completely in law school either. Unless you want to do biglaw. In that case, even paying the modest law student membership fee is probably wasteful.
I defer to your knowledge as my hiring experience is pretty exclusively biglaw. I definitely see how it could be helpful for local/regional firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”