Should I try again

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I try again

Postby ironman2012 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 pm

So I was supposed to start law school this year at OU (oklahoma), i had a 162 got a decent scholly and am instate, however I decided not to go ( not 100% sure why, i was thinking of maybe doing an mba, knew the job prospects were bad, etc). However, after 2 months I'm strongly reconsidering. The question I have is with the job market so bad and probably getting worse should I try again. I'm gonna take the lsat again and am shooting for T30 but even then is it worth it. I'd be going in fall 2014, two years later than I was supposed, with three years of school thats 5 total, i don't want to end up unemployed having wasted 5 important years, good advise would he helpful, thanks

Re: Should I try again

Postby florida1949 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 pm

why do you want to pursue a career in law? what are your career prospects as is?

Postby ironman2012 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:02 am

I need a job, and actually find the legal profession to be interesting and something I enjoy. I graduated with a political science degree so not so great. I can speak and understand 1, almost 2 languages the state department deems critical so I guess that is somewhat of an option, but I'd rather stay in the south/go midwest and work as a lawyer.

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 am

It sounds like you basically have no idea of what you want to do. Law school's going to be there for a long time, especially a T30 with declining numbers. Go work a 40-hour a week job in DC or somewhere, get used to being an adult, and come back when you're actually pretty certain you want to be an attorney.

Being a lawyer in this market is a bigger commitment than joining the military, and a lot less secure.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm

All due respect, I feel you should have matriculated at OU. I live in an area where there is a lot of love (and hate ;) for OU and their beautiful campus.

I say you should have gone or maybe you can still go because:
1. Your post noted that you received scholly money. Plus, receiving in state rate there is a good chance that you wiill not fall too deep in the debt pool, only in regards to tuition and fees. I am not sure of your lifestyle, but there is a possibility that you can leave law school without being too much in the red. I say this because I graduated from a decent but expensive law school in the region without too much debt.

2. You note that you want to practice as an attorney. However, I am sure you know that latest ABA figures note that only 55 perc of law school grads are working in positions that require JDs. So, depending on outlook, if you are okay not working as a licensed attorney immediately after graduation, going to law school now may not be a bad decision.

During the interim period before matriculating law school, especially if you you know for certain that Fall 2014 is your time, go work for a Fortune 500 so you can 1) "grow up" a bit more in the corporate enviornment, i.e., Learn expectations and proper etiquette. 2) Start to build resume for OCI.

Postby getemgoon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 am

Get a full time job.

At the same time, re-take LSAT and reapply to law school. If you get your T30, quit your job and go. If not, put 100% of your effort into your job/immediate career.

This is the best advice I can give you. I am currently in this position. I am working full time and currently in the process of applying. If I don't get T25, I'll look for a new job, new career, new city (just because Detroit is well..... Detroit), etc. Such is life but you have to roll with it.

Best of luck.

Return to “Law School FAQ”