Yet another how LSAC calculates a w grade post Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
holley18

New

Yet another how LSAC calculates a w grade post

Post by holley18 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:47 am

So, I have 2 W's on my transcript, both from different semesters. I know that if my UG school considers them to be non-punitive, the LSAC will as well. However, a recent post on here has me concerned. In one of the semesters I pulled a 4.0 GPA and I attempted 15 hours and earned 12 via the W grade. I never thought that was an issue as a grade of a W, one would think, would yield no credit and count in hours attempted. Point being, even though the w is non-punitive, will the aforementioned credit scenario change the policy of not counting toward GPA?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Yet another how LSAC calculates a w grade post

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

holley18 wrote: In one of the semesters I pulled a 4.0 GPA and I attempted 15 hours and earned 12 via the W grade. I never thought that was an issue as a grade of a W, one would think, would yield no credit and count in hours attempted. Point being, even though the w is non-punitive, will the aforementioned credit scenario change the policy of not counting toward GPA?
holley18 wrote: I know that if my UG school considers them to be non-punitive, the LSAC will as well.
I don't see a discrepancy. The Ws will likely not count. Why don't you just submit your transcripts now and see for yourself?

ryanfaro

New

Post by ryanfaro » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 am

http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

There ya go, I am sure you are fine. I don't know why more people aren't aware of that resource, took me a while asking this same question for someone to show me it

holley18

New

Post by holley18 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks! You would think something as valuable as that guide would be more widely known.

cherylann

New

Post by cherylann » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 pm

I am glad to see this thread, since I have been worried sick about the same thing for over 6 months. Where even though the Withdrawal is clearly not punitive, it lists attempted hours and I was worried LSAC would count it as an F. Well, I still am confused and hoping someone can help me:

Thankfully, today, I discovered the: Law School Admission Council Interpretive Guide to Undergraduate Grading Systems website on the LSAC page....I typed in my school name and it said Grades Excluded from Both LSAC and School Calculation: AU,IN,IP,NA,NR,R,W......So it has the W grade as excluded.

I am still somewhat confused and there are more questions I still have:

It lists that LSAC counts F grades from school as: 0.00 (F = 0.0,U,NF,SF,Z)

1. So my first question is YES, clearly the W grades are excluded from my school, but I had one semester of W grades because I had surgery and my transcript says below that semester of W grades: (Gpa hours: 0.00, Credits attempted: 12, credits earned: 0.00, gpa: 0.00) It says term gpa is 0.00 because I just had W grades (so obviously what else would they post as term gpa) and LSAC can still see it didnt affect the accumulative gpa that was printed below that semester....So I am worried because since they said term gpa was 0.00 from having W's (even though they didnt hurt) me, Will LSAC just look at the 0.00 and count it as 12 hours of F, even though they were Withdrawals and it said they dont count W grades from my school? They do post above F=0.00, U, NF, SF, Z) so will having 0.00 there (even though it didnt affect my accum gpa) be interpreted as F x 12 hours?
2. When did they post the guide on LSAC of undergraduate grading systems? Is it fairly new? Was it from this year? How accurate would it be?

If anyone can help me, I would so appreciate so much. I have been worried sick for months. I call LSAC and they dont understand what I am asking no matter how much I try to explain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:53 pm

You'll find out when you submit your transcript, which you should do well in advance of picking out schools and preparing applications, so just submit them and see what happens. No use spending time/effort trying to predict something that you'll have a definitive answer to soon enough.

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 am

Does anyone know how an "incomplete" is calculated?

Edit: crap I just answered my own question

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:40 pm

ryanfaro wrote:http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

There ya go, I am sure you are fine. I don't know why more people aren't aware of that resource, took me a while asking this same question for someone to show me it
Hey thanks a lot! Can't believe i've never seen this before.

barberiolisa

New

Post by barberiolisa » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 pm

In regards to the prior post with the attached TranscriptKeys by school, how do you know for sure whether that is accurate? Is it on the LSAC website/page. Do you suppose that although it says that there, that there may be a whole hidden agenda after transcripts are submitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:29 am

barberiolisa wrote:In regards to the prior post with the attached TranscriptKeys by school, how do you know for sure whether that is accurate? Is it on the LSAC website/page.
This bit:
http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptKeys/IGUGS-Search.aspx

Didn't give it away, did it? It was trying to hide.
barberiolisa wrote:Do you suppose that although it says that there, that there may be a whole hidden agenda after transcripts are submitted?
lolwut

rheannabanana

New

Post by rheannabanana » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 am

ryanfaro wrote:http://www.lsac.org/Members/TranscriptK ... earch.aspx

This was incredibly helpful! I still can't see my GPA calculation through LSAC since I'm waiting on more transcripts so it had been bugging me how a 'W' from my school was figured in. Now I can rest easy (easier, at least).

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 am

Wow that link to the LSAC site was amazing. Definitely had my heart racing as I put in my school info, but to see that the W's were omitted made me feel much, much happier. Shocked that this is so relatively unknown.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”