Watches as a lawyer Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Gold

Re: Watches as a lawyer

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:....You guys do realize that LV owns some of the major "quality watch makers" (ie. Tag Huer, Hublot, Bulgari, Zenith, Chaumet, even Marc Jacobs) How does buying from one of their subsidiaries somehow justify a purchase more than buying directly through them? I stand by my initial conclusion. That watch is dope.
Fantastic bump!

Also, all the "major quality watch makers" you listed are also SPS.

Unless you're trolling, in which case, not bad.
Whoa, whoa, gonna have to put in a good word for Tag here. But the others are definitely all SPS.

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:25 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Fantastic bump!

You can't be serious? Tag (est. 1860), Zenith (est. 1865), Bvlgari (est. 1884). How on earth could these "TTT watchmakers" survive that long?

I'm starting to think you're the one trolling bro, in fact I know you're trolling, because I've seen you get a stiffy over a Tag in the men's fashion thread.
top30man wrote: My favorite part is Marc Jacobs on this list.
I'll give you Marc Jacobs, was added to the list only because they make decent watches for women, but I won't fault you for not knowing this.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 am

Systematic1 wrote:You can't be serious? Tag (est. 1860), Zenith (est. 1865), Bvlgari (est. 1884). How on earth could these "TTT watchmakers" survive that long?
Funny thing, there are actual TTTs that have survived that long.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 am

if i could buy any watch i wanted, i wouldn't even think twice before pulling the trigger on this bad boy:

--ImageRemoved--

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:You can't be serious? Tag (est. 1860), Zenith (est. 1865), Bvlgari (est. 1884). How on earth could these "TTT watchmakers" survive that long?

I'm starting to think you're the one trolling bro, in fact I know you're trolling, because I've seen you get a stiffy over a Tag in the men's fashion thread.
A couple things.

1) Just because something has been around a long time, does not make it quality
2) Quality watches are about movement, not just price
3) One again, don't buy watches from fashion houses
4) Not a big Tag fan, overpriced for non-mechanical movement
There's a time and a place for a quartz watch. It's when you own a Tag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:33 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:....You guys do realize that LV owns some of the major "quality watch makers" (ie. Tag Huer, Hublot, Bulgari, Zenith, Chaumet, even Marc Jacobs) How does buying from one of their subsidiaries somehow justify a purchase more than buying directly through them? I stand by my initial conclusion. That watch is dope.
Fantastic bump!

Whoa, whoa, gonna have to put in a good word for Tag here. But the others are definitely all SPS.
You're going to put in a good word for TAG but are going to say Zenith is "SPS" (which I assume is a negative thing)? TAG is a decent brand, but it's a mass production watchmaker that uses ETA movements and spends a ton of money on celebrity endorsements. TAGs are widely thought to be overpriced and are probably the least respected watch at that price point.

Zenith is a true manufacture and is a great, historic watchmaker. They are in a separate league from TAG.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:48 am

dear watchbros,

what's so great about a mechanical movement?

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:08 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
fatduck wrote:dear watchbros,

Durability/longevity
also no battery

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

Durability/longevity
also no battery
but don't you have to reset them all the time? seems like that would get annoying. i'm gonna hold out for an atomic watch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm

TLS:

Find me a watch for >$250. Leather wristband over steel.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
fatduck wrote:but don't you have to reset them all the time? seems like that would get annoying. i'm gonna hold out for an atomic watch.
Well, the big standard bros like Rolex/Omega are automatic mechanical - they wind on movement.

My watch is automatic but needs to be serviced (as they routinely do every 5-7 years) and I've been too cheap to do it (total cost LOL $600) so I just wind it by hand. It takes like 15 seconds, I just do it every day before I take it off.
oh i didn't mean winding. i meant resetting the time. i thought mechanical watches drifted quickly.

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 pm

tfleming09 wrote:

A couple things.

1) Just because something has been around a long time, does not make it quality
2) Quality watches are about movement, not just price
3) One again, don't buy watches from fashion houses
4) Not a big Tag fan, overpriced for non-mechanical movement
Your premises are equally weak.
5) In and of itself, longevity is not sufficient to establish quality, but it does support the general notion of quality -- especially in the context of luxury items.
6) Your statement indicates that price is, at least to some degree, a determinant of quality. Check out Zenith, at least 10 models over $100k. But there's no quality here, right?
7) Just because a watch comes from a fashion house, does not necessarily mean it lacks quality. Especially a fashion house like LV which owns many "well established" luxury watch brands.
8 ) Just curious, what are you a fan of?

And, today's winner is:

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 pm

There are no significant practical advantages to a mechanical movement. For the most part, quartz is superior in every practical respect. Most enthusiasts, however, prefer mechanical to quartz for romantic reasons: the history and tradition of horology, the aesthetic beauty of the movement itself, the intrigue associated with telling time without electricity, etc. But in my opinion the coolest watch collections generally also entail a few high accuracy quartz.

Quartz watches are significantly more accurate than mechanical watches and do no require hand winding or continuous wear. You have to replace the battery every couple years, but you have to get mechanicals serviced every five, which costs substantially more and takes significantly more time. Mechanical watches are also more fragile than quartz watches.

Presently, the two watches I wear on a daily basis are mechanical, and I love them. But no serious collector will try to sell you on their practical superiority to quartz.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:TLS:

Check out Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Quartz MK II. Currently back ordered though: http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/ ... k-mk2.html. If you bump your price point up to about $600, you'll open up a lot of doors.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Bronte wrote:

Check out Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Quartz MK II. Currently back ordered though: http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/ ... k-mk2.html. If you bump your price point up to about $600, you'll open up a lot of doors.
Still UG... 600 is unpossible!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Still UG... 600 is unpossible!
Take a look at that Chris Ward. It's nice.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah, I did. That's pretty much exactly the look I'm going for too. I'll put it on my list.

Edit: I heard some talk about the Orient watches earlier, and I was browsing and saw a couple that I thought looked nice, but I know nothing as to if they're good quality. I found this http://orientwatchusa.com/er24004b and like the look. I'm pretty sure I can find it for less than the MSRP, but what is the verdict?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Yeah, I did. That's pretty much exactly the look I'm going for too. I'll put it on my list.

Edit: I heard some talk about the Orient watches earlier, and I was browsing and saw a couple that I thought looked nice, but I know nothing as to if they're good quality. I found this http://orientwatchusa.com/er24004b and like the look. I'm pretty sure I can find it for less than the MSRP, but what is the verdict?
I don't know anything about this one, but I own an Orient Ray and it works phenomenally for the price I got it for (~$150).

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Yeah, I did. That's pretty much exactly the look I'm going for too. I'll put it on my list.

I would go with the white face, but yes Orient are fine watches for the price. I think it's would be a good choice. You should know that that's an automatic mechanical watch, meaning it will stop running when it's not worn. The Christopher Ward is quartz.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 pm

TAG's are nice. I like mine. I like not having to worry about it. I can beat it up, swim in it, do housework in it. It's very durable and looks good in pretty much all situations. But $1700 for a woman's Aquaracer is LOL. Amazon has it for $1,075 and I want it for $1200 from an authorized dealer.

Or, alternatively, what's nice and durable and fancy for a woman's watch at that price point? Is there anything better than a TAG as an everyday, long-lasting watch?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 pm

kalvano wrote:TAG's are nice. I like mine. I like not having to worry about it. I can beat it up, swim in it, do housework in it. It's very durable and looks good in pretty much all situations. But $1700 for a woman's Aquaracer is LOL. Amazon has it for $1,075 and I want it for $1200 from an authorized dealer.

Or, alternatively, what's nice and durable and fancy for a woman's watch at that price point? Is there anything better than a TAG as an everyday, long-lasting watch?
Can you please explain why not to buy a watch from amazon? I buy everything from them. I saw one watch I liked but hadn't made any plans to buy it. Are there other products you wouldn't buy from amazon? I wouldn't buy jewelry but I thought a watch would be ok.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 pm

sunynp wrote:
kalvano wrote:TAG's are nice. I like mine. I like not having to worry about it. I can beat it up, swim in it, do housework in it. It's very durable and looks good in pretty much all situations. But $1700 for a woman's Aquaracer is LOL. Amazon has it for $1,075 and I want it for $1200 from an authorized dealer.

Can you please explain why not to buy a watch from amazon? I buy everything from them. I saw one watch I liked but hadn't made any plans to buy it. Are there other products you wouldn't buy from amazon? I wouldn't buy jewelry but I thought a watch would be ok.
I know a couple people who have bought watches from amazon with no problem.

Shit, I bought a NICE watch off ebay once. I've had it since 2006 and only now has it even needed a battery change. I also worked at an authorized dealer for the brand (michele), but I got this one for an even better deal than my discount.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

sunynp wrote:

The reason a person would hesitate to buy a watch on Amazon is that most watchmakers do not authorize their watches to be sold online. Thus, when you buy a watch online, you void the manufacturer's warranty. It's not something I worry about, but that is the reason.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

sunynp wrote:

Because they aren't an authorized dealer so TAG won't recognize any manufacturer's warranty.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
sunynp wrote:

The reason a person would hesitate to buy a watch on Amazon is that most watchmakers do not authorize their watches to be sold online. Thus, when you buy a watch online, you void the manufacturer's warranty. It's not something I worry about, but that is the reason.
As someone who sold watches for a few years, the manufacturers warranty is not often used and it will pretty rarely help you. If there is a major price savings, I wouldn't worry about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”