URM Distinction Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TomahawkChopper
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

URM Distinction Question

Postby TomahawkChopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm

So being characterized as "African American" can give a noticeable jump in admissions. Can someone define African American?

I have a black friend whose family came to the United States from the Caribbean generations ago. Is he African American? If he as him he will say "No mon, I'm Jamaican."

On the other hand, I am white. My parents moved to the United States from South Africa when before they had me. So while I am African-American, it seems like a random distinction that would give me this advantage over my friend.

Thanks

hamsamitchguy03
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby 071816 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

He's African American. You aren't.

TomahawkChopper
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby TomahawkChopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Why is he African American and I'm not? I sincerely do not understand. Do you mean he is black and I'm not? Because that is true.

JVanHo
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 am

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby JVanHo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Why is he African American and I'm not? I sincerely do not understand. Do you mean he is black and I'm not? Because that is true.


Dept. of Education defines African-Americans as:

"African American:
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa."

I'm pretty sure the LSAC uses the DOE definition. Not that you can't get a bump some other way, but you're not going to get a URM bump by being classified as African-American.

TomahawkChopper
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby TomahawkChopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Interesting, thank you for that definition.

I wasn't really looking for the bump, just the justification for not getting one. I would have thought being a dual citizen from an African country and the USA would qualify.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:17 pm

The DoE definition is correct. The reason that it is like this is that at some point in American history, Americans started to use a term that related strictly to geography (African-American) as a substitute for race. It is a euphemism for black that happens to use a geographical term so the definition stems from the term it replaces, not from the literal meaning of the words that constitute the euphemism. So you'll hear Americans sometimes call black people from other countries "African-Americans" because the term is wholly synonymous with black to them even though black people from other countries aren't actually American.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby 071816 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Why is he African American and I'm not? I sincerely do not understand. Do you mean he is black and I'm not? Because that is true.

Bingo.

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 am

bk1 wrote:The DoE definition is correct. The reason that it is like this is that at some point in American history, Americans started to use a term that related strictly to geography (African-American) as a substitute for race. It is a euphemism for black that happens to use a geographical term so the definition stems from the term it replaces, not from the literal meaning of the words that constitute the euphemism. So you'll hear Americans sometimes call black people from other countries "African-Americans" because the term is wholly synonymous with black to them even though black people from other countries aren't actually American.


+1

Lawlexrotica69
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 am

JVanHo wrote:
Dept. of Education defines African-Americans as:

"African American:
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa."

I'm pretty sure the LSAC uses the DOE definition. Not that you can't get a bump some other way, but you're not going to get a URM bump by being classified as African-American.


bk1 wrote:The DoE definition is correct. The reason that it is like this is that at some point in American history, Americans started to use a term that related strictly to geography (African-American) as a substitute for race. It is a euphemism for black that happens to use a geographical term so the definition stems from the term it replaces, not from the literal meaning of the words that constitute the euphemism. So you'll hear Americans sometimes call black people from other countries "African-Americans" because the term is wholly synonymous with black to them even though black people from other countries aren't actually American.


Imma quote these for when another derpy "I'm a white person who was raised in Africa so I can check African American, rite?" thread comes up again.

Flame Retarded
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 am

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby Flame Retarded » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am

I always wondered, what if you lie? Who is going to remember or go through your application once you get in? I say, if it gives you the edge, click the box. I'm super-caucasian, but I'm checking off African-American in June.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 am

Flame Retarded wrote:I always wondered, what if you lie? Who is going to remember or go through your application once you get in? I say, if it gives you the edge, click the box. I'm super-caucasian, but I'm checking off African-American in June.


Character and Fitness.

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:53 am

flem wrote:
Flame Retarded wrote:I always wondered, what if you lie? Who is going to remember or go through your application once you get in? I say, if it gives you the edge, click the box. I'm super-caucasian, but I'm checking off African-American in June.


Other than being ineligible for the bar come C&F time, I don't really see a downside to this strategy.


check out his profile name...i dont think he was being serious

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby ben4847 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:57 am

bk1 wrote:The DoE definition is correct. The reason that it is like this is that at some point in American history, Americans started to use a term that related strictly to geography (African-American) as a substitute for race. It is a euphemism for black that happens to use a geographical term so the definition stems from the term it replaces, not from the literal meaning of the words that constitute the euphemism. So you'll hear Americans sometimes call black people from other countries "African-Americans" because the term is wholly synonymous with black to them even though black people from other countries aren't actually American.


Yes, it sounds funny as applied to Blacks from Europe, but it shouldn't. It is a defined term, it means the Black races of Africa.

Flame Retarded
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 am

Re: URM Distinction Question

Postby Flame Retarded » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
flem wrote:
Flame Retarded wrote:I always wondered, what if you lie? Who is going to remember or go through your application once you get in? I say, if it gives you the edge, click the box. I'm super-caucasian, but I'm checking off African-American in June.


Other than being ineligible for the bar come C&F time, I don't really see a downside to this strategy.


check out his profile name...i dont think he was being serious


Most people will believe anything you say if you act seriously and confidently. I think if I looked someone dead in the eyes and told them I was an African-American they would believe me. But if you think this is not good advice for the average person, you're probably right. Don't say you're black unless you can really feel black.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bns212, l3g@l33s3 and 9 guests