Could this hurt my chances? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
djchach

New

Could this hurt my chances?

Post by djchach » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 pm

A brief summary, my oldest brother went to prison for 5 years on a robbery charge (not sure if that was exactly what he was charged with), came out for about 3-4 months and than was charged with robbery across a few states and is serving a minimum of 25 years. At the same time, my other brother was in and out of jail/prison for drug related charges. While all of this was happening I was going through middle school and high school, and was the first graduate high school out of my siblings (I have faith in my little brother to graduate shortly).

I've always been interested in law school after UG, but when my brothers were incarcerated it pushed me even harder to enter the legal field. I'm not saying I'm trying to become a lawyer so I can help them get out (though it would be nice). I'm not sure why, it just gave me motive to push for law school.

Would this have any impact on my acceptance into LS or possible careers later on down the road?

Also, another question that doesn't really regard the above information, could the fact that all my family came from Ukraine help/hurt me in any way? (I was born right when they moved to the US).

I apologize in advance for the sloppy post, I didn't have much time and its somewhat early in the morning.

Thank you.

Gold

Re: Could this hurt my chances?

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Your brother's transgressions will not reflect poorly on you as a candidate. In fact, you could probably turn it into an awesome PS (especially being a first gen immigrant). You will be judged on YOUR character, not your brother's.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:10 pm

While these circumstances must have been very difficult for you to overcome, they are also the components of a great personal statement and overall application. No one will think negatively of you because of something your siblings did.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:34 pm

If anything, your brother in jail can turn into a positive via a touching personal statement.

Law school =/= Running for public office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

djchach

New

Post by djchach » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Well thank you for the responses. I never guessed I would be able to turn it around into a personal statement to possibly get an acceptance I otherwise wouldn't have.
hoos89 wrote:Why would your brothers' criminal history affect your chances?
I never fully thought that it would. It just crossed my mind and I wondered if it could possibly cross an interviewers mind?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 pm

djchach wrote:Well thank you for the responses. I never guessed I would be able to turn it around into a personal statement to possibly get an acceptance I otherwise wouldn't have.
hoos89 wrote:Why would your brothers' criminal history affect your chances?
I never fully thought that it would. It just crossed my mind and I wondered if it could possibly cross an interviewers mind?
Not too many places interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”