Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Redamon1

Bronze

Re: Tablets (ex. Ipad) and Law Schools

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Another update here for those still following: I went all digital this semester and loved it. I switched to iAnnotate (away from GoodReader), and find the app far superior: faster synch that operates in the background while you keep using your device, smoother read, more annotation options, easier bookmarking and navigation.

I also bought a couple textbooks and supplements on the Kindle App, and didn't think they were as nice as manually scanned copies of the hard copy (ridiculous, right?!): the layout and navigation were just far inferior.

Please share tips if you have any.

ETA: using the iPad for legal writing class was awesome: download straight from WestLaw (no need to deal with expensive and time-consuming printing!), file, annotate, search and easily access all the cases, briefs etc.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Tagging thanks for the info.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Redamon1 wrote:Another update here for those still following: I went all digital this semester and loved it. I switched to iAnnotate (away from GoodReader), and find the app far superior: faster synch that operates in the background while you keep using your device, smoother read, more annotation options, easier bookmarking and navigation.

I also bought a couple textbooks and supplements on the Kindle App, and didn't think they were as nice as manually scanned copies of the hard copy (ridiculous, right?!): the layout and navigation were just far inferior.

ETA: using the iPad for legal writing class was awesome: download straight from WestLaw (no need to deal with expensive and time-consuming printing!), file, annotate, search and easily access all the cases, briefs etc.
So do you just buy the textbook and scan it? Seems like a lot of fucking work.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 am

dextermorgan wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:Another update here for those still following: I went all digital this semester and loved it. I switched to iAnnotate (away from GoodReader), and find the app far superior: faster synch that operates in the background while you keep using your device, smoother read, more annotation options, easier bookmarking and navigation.

So do you just buy the textbook and scan it? Seems like a lot of fucking work.
3+ hrs / textbook with a good scanner in the library. It sucks, but it's worth it IMO over the course of a full semester. You can also unbind the book and scan it much faster that way. Plus, you can resell your books in like-new condition at the end of the semester.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm

I hesitate to resurrect an old thread but I see here that scanning text books and using iAnnotate has worked well for others in the past. I have been told that my law library will have all of our course books on reserve and that we have access to a killer speedy scanner to scan the books. This seems like a perfect solution to not having to buy books at all. Any reason why this would not work--a feel like this may be a too good to be true solution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”