Website with GRE stats? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Palavra

New

Website with GRE stats?

Post by Palavra » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:06 am

I didn't know where to post this so mods can delete it if necessary. My question is:

is there a website that lists the GPA and GRE range for different grad programs similar to LSN?

Thanks!

ahnhub

Silver

Re: Website with GRE stats?

Post by ahnhub » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:38 am

Well, the problem would be I don't think there's any grad schools which take LSAT/GPA into account nearly as heavily as law schools do, so the usefulness of such a site would be limited. The GRE usually isn't make-or-break for any school, is it?

Palavra

New

Post by Palavra » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 am

I don't know actually. Probably not. That raises the question; why are LSAT scores so important for law schools when GRE scores are less important for grad schools?

jamesireland

New

Post by jamesireland » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 am

GRE scores are not as important because you are evaluated on work in the field - grades and usually a writing sample. Future law students typically have not done any work in the field, and so cannot be evaluated in the same way.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 am

Palavra wrote:I don't know actually. Probably not. That raises the question; why are LSAT scores so important for law schools when GRE scores are less important for grad schools?
A lot of reasons. Most departments are oriented toward a type of research, or specialty, or focus. Therefore, "fit" is much more important. Picking a graduate school is like picking someone to marry, because you will be with this person between 4 to 6 years (going for PhD), and during that time he or she will serve as a mentor, friend, and at times adversary. From a money standpoint, the Grad school rankings (such as they are) are not determined by GRE score, or even GPA of its matriculated students, but rather the quality and quantity of research the school puts out.

Law school on the other hand, has a large percentage of its rankings come from LSAT. LSAT also has a decent correlation to student success. Therefore, more weight is put on LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”