Am I hurting my chances by postponing law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
miobrien

New

Am I hurting my chances by postponing law school?

Post by miobrien » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

The main question is this: As far as age is concerned, am I hurting my chances by postponing law school?

-----

I’ve been considering law school for a while now but haven’t applied yet. It’s been tough to decide. I’ve wanted to make sure my heart was in it if I decided to do it.

But I’m wondering if I’m hurting my chances the more I postpone and if I’ve already screwed myself - with respect to both school admissions and firm hiring.

Here’s a quick glance at my resume:

2009 - B.A. Philosophy (top 30 private university) - 3.68 GPA
2012 - M.A. Philosophy (same school) - 4.0 GPA

No LSAT score yet. 2 recs are good/great. Various unimportant softs.

I took a year off between these degrees to help out with a family matter - grandfather had cancer. I’m looking for a job at the moment, hopefully as a paralegal, and would do it for at least a year.

I understand the primary factors in admissions will be my undergrad GPA and LSAT score but will my M.A. and work experience help or hurt when getting into schools? I'll be applying at 25 years old.

And if I apply in the fall 2012, enter school in the fall of 2013, and graduate in 2016, I’ll be 29 years old. How do firms gauge 29 year old students? Favorably or unfavorably? Will they appreciate the M.A. degree and work experience or not care?

Pato_09

Bronze

Re: Am I hurting my chances by postponing law school?

Post by Pato_09 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Generally, applicants are hesitant to work for few years and then apply. But I think this is wrong for two reasons:

1) The more time you have to study for the LSAT the better. Study for the LSAT as much as you can. It is the most important factor in law school admissions.

2) I just finished OCI - - - Prior work experience is a great great soft! Plus, it will make you a better interviewee by talking about how you were successful in work environment A and how you will use it to be successful in work environment B (law firm).

It will not hurt you at all, and it will help you both in the law school admissions and job-search process.

Good Luck!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:39 pm

miobrien

New

Post by miobrien » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, that's good news. Thanks for the feedback.

biglaw$

New

Post by biglaw$ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 pm

You should postpone law school indefinitely. You're welcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”