Will I learn more at one law school compared to another? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Dash41

Bronze

Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Post by Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 am

Hi, I'm wondering about the difference in education I would receive from one potential law school from another.

If I went to a T14, would I learn more than I would have at a lower end Tier 1? Is there really a big gap between what is taught at the top schools compared to some lower schools?

How much of a difference would there be between a mid Tier 1 and a mid Tier 2?

Don't factor in prestige at all. Just learning about the law. Thanks.

run26.2

Silver

Re: Will I learn more at one law school compared to another?

Post by run26.2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 am

Dash41 wrote:Hi, I'm wondering about the difference in education I would receive from one potential law school from another.

If I went to a T14, would I learn more than I would have at a lower end Tier 1? Is there really a big gap between what is taught at the top schools compared to some lower schools?

How much of a difference would there be between a mid Tier 1 and a mid Tier 2?

Don't factor in prestige at all. Just learning about the law. Thanks.
You will get the same education at every school. Except Yale, where you will get no education.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 am

There is very little difference. Some might argue that the best practical education you could get would be from a lower ranked part time program, where practicing attorneys come to teach.

Unfortunately, you can't get a job from a lot of those schools.

Dash41

Bronze

Post by Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:There is very little difference. Some might argue that the best practical education you could get would be from a lower ranked part time program, where practicing attorneys come to teach.

Unfortunately, you can't get a job from a lot of those schools.
Thanks for your response. I'm going to work in the sports industry, and I already have all my connections built in to get a job. Prestige really isn't that big of factor for me, so I'm probably going to go to a school that best fits financial and location considerations. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out on a better education by going to a lower ranked school.

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:39 am

As far as I've seen, virtually all accredited schools have highly qualified faculty, and for the most part I suspect that they all teach the same stuff. Substantively, I doubt there is a big difference anywhere. It's all about applying yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

How could anyone but a transfer student even answer this question? Even with transfers their experience is questionable because there's such a culture jump between 1L and 2L*. 1L you gotta hustle to get the grades to get the jobs, and all your classmates are doing the same (with the possible exception of electives). 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

*at least, that's how I find it to be at UVA.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:41 pm

dailygrind wrote: 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

I thought 2/3L is usually hell if you don't get a job at OCI?

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:18 pm

dailygrind wrote:How could anyone but a transfer student even answer this question? Even with transfers their experience is questionable because there's such a culture jump between 1L and 2L*. 1L you gotta hustle to get the grades to get the jobs, and all your classmates are doing the same (with the possible exception of electives). 2L it's much more relaxed - for both you and your classmates.

It's kind of like how people on here talk about how you wont find a job as a lawyer after law school, and most of them are in law school, or haven't started yet.

Dash41

Bronze

Post by Dash41 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Does anyone know of a reputable source which discusses this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm

minnbills wrote:

Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced academically.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 pm

dailygrind wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced (academically - otherwise, the pressure is probably soul crushing).
Is this pretty much just the case at t14s... or t20s.... just looking through the employment forum it seems like there is hardly any hope for anyone. With all the high-achieving TLSers you would think it would be offer this, offer that etc.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 pm

No.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 pm

You'll probably get a pretty good education anywhere. If it's a major city the school will probably have great professors regardless of rank, profs care more about living and working somewhere desirable than living in a shit city for a marginally higher ranked school.

But if school doesn't matter of course you should just pick based on overall cost.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.
I've heard this before too, though I think it applies to schools which have a major discrepancy in rank, like T1 vs. TTT

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 pm

minnbills wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:Although I have heard that higher ranked schools tend to offer a more "academic" education than lower ranked schools which may be more practical. Might just be nonsense in the grapevine though. None of this should factor into your decision of where to go to school.
I've heard this before too, though I think it applies to schools which have a major discrepancy in rank, like T1 vs. TTT

That's pretty correct. I worked with a guy from a local TTTT this summer, and he basically said they get absolute practical education and not very theory-based. It's all geared towards passing the bar.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

minnbills wrote:
I disagree that the difference is just between T1 and TTT. I would say that the type of education you receive at top schools will be very different between schools.

For example, NU and Columbia students have a much more professionally-grounded faculty and therefore have less theory-based courses.

Chicago and Yale students get a much more theory-based approach, with less emphasis on practical application in courses like civ pro, crim, property, and contracts.

Berkeley and NYU students have uniquely strong and specific clinical opportunities and PI-related courses.

Harvard has a lot of great theory at the top and a lot of practical/academic-newbie courses on the bottom.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Dash41 wrote:Does anyone know of a reputable source which discusses this?
Yes - most schools disclose their curriculum and degree requirements on their websites, as well as their course offerings. You will likely find that higher ranked = more electives, and lower ranked = more required classes extending further into 2L and 3L, maybe more focus on practice. I wouldn't think of it in terms of learning "more" at one or the other, not least because law school is only the beginning of learning.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Big schools offer more courses, so it is a bit easier to specialize as a 3L in a big school. For instance, if you want to do Tax it might make sense to go somewhere that offers an LLM. You can usually take the classes as a JD student.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:33 pm

minnbills wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Yeah, but a fair number of people do, so they ease off and the pressure is reduced (academically - otherwise, the pressure is probably soul crushing).
Is this pretty much just the case at t14s... or t20s.... just looking through the employment forum it seems like there is hardly any hope for anyone. With all the high-achieving TLSers you would think it would be offer this, offer that etc.
I have no idea. Even if you don't get a job through OCI your grades are no longer your focus - you're probably mass mailing like your future career depends on it. All I'm addressing here is the nature of the difference between 1L and 2L academics as context for the idea that even a transfer would be able to gauge the difference in the learning environment between one school and another. 2L has the potential to be much more difficult than 1L overall; indeed the old saying is 1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 am

run26.2 wrote: You will get the same education at every school.
Trollin bro?

Cooley = NYLS = Brookyln = Dozo = Fordham = Columbia...

Cooley = Columbia???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

uhh Cooley is #1 bro, dunno where you've been.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 am

Quality of students is likely to affect the quality of education received even though similiar textbooks are used.

JohnMK

New

Post by JohnMK » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

I believe schools are all the same, you will get trained on the job for practical skill (if you are lucky enough to get a job....). However, you'll be more likely to get hired graduating from a Tier 1 school then a Tier 4 school...

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

JohnMK wrote:I believe schools are all the same, you will get trained on the job for practical skill (if you are lucky enough to get a job....). However, you'll be more likely to get hired graduating from a Tier 1 school then a Tier 4 school...

So Harvard Law School = People's College of Law?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”