Realistic expectation for Oct 1st LSAT?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aclaw55

Realistic expectation for Oct 1st LSAT?

Postby aclaw55 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 am

Hello everyone,

So I have been studying reviewing old notes and reading through Official LSAT SuperPrep book since End of July as I prepare for Oct 1st LSAT. I am now going to begin taking PTs leading up to the exam and I was wondering what you think is good number of PTs a week? I've already gone through some of PTs but I am going to dive back in. I also noticed with first PT I took again, I didn't seem to have lost much ground on where I left off with my last LSAT in Feb? I am scoring in mid 150s and scored awful 148 in Feb. I was just curious if it was normal to start where you left off ? There is only a couple of weeks and i want to make sure I made decent jump and as close to 160 as possible. Thank you for all your help trying to apply early in the cycle this time around.

Jack Smirks

Re: Realistic expectation for Oct 1st LSAT?

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 am

How many PTs do you have access to that you haven't done already? Are you going to school full time or working full time or have any additional priorities that would cut into your PT time? I took 2 to 3 PTs a week while working full time and I found that it left me with a good amount of time to review and to avoid burnout.

aclaw55

Postby aclaw55 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 am

I'd say 5-7 prep tests that I haven't done yet, but the rest I went through for Feb exam. I am working fulltime so I will try to do two a week as you did. I hope there is enough time to jump a few points still. Is it normal to pick up where you left off with the LSAT? I only took one PT cold to see where I am and seems to be 151 mark. I scored a 151 on June 2010 LSAT two days before I took the Feb 2011 exam and scored a 148. Hard to study during the commute and at work so I try to caffine myself up after work from 6:30 PM to 10:30 PM

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 am

If you're scoring that low you still need to get a grasp of the fundamentals so stick to 1 to 2 PTs a week with plenty of time for review and drilling game types. Try to track which question types you're having problems with and read the corresponding chapter out of the LR Bible. If you actually take the time to learn the material you should see some improvement. If you're just taking PTs and marking the incorrect answers you're not going to see any returns. Good luck.

aclaw55

Postby aclaw55 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:07 am

Is it better to split up LR question as they are in prep test format, or do them together by question type like the Kaplan Mastery LR book has them listed? I seem to have issues with LG questions that ask to change scenario in a sketch (Ex: If G is next to H who is ONLY person that can come after V) . Do you draw individual separate sketch next to the question playing out each scenario? or do you try to visualize this in your head? I suddenly am finding it easier not to go crazy with sketches and rule abbreviations, and began following the rules as they are listed on the page. As far as my weakest section it is RC, and I just need to practice more and focus on structure. I find the SuperPrep LSAT book helping me out with explanations for RC. Thank you for all your advice and time.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 am

aclaw55 wrote:Is it better to split up LR question as they are in prep test format, or do them together by question type like the Kaplan Mastery LR book has them listed? I seem to have issues with LG questions that ask to change scenario in a sketch (Ex: If G is next to H who is ONLY person that can come after V) . Do you draw individual separate sketch next to the question playing out each scenario? or do you try to visualize this in your head? I suddenly am finding it easier not to go crazy with sketches and rule abbreviations, and began following the rules as they are listed on the page. As far as my weakest section it is RC, and I just need to practice more and focus on structure. I find the SuperPrep LSAT book helping me out with explanations for RC. Thank you for all your advice and time.

I think your question is about LG (logic games) and my advice would be to pick of the Powerscore Logic Games Bible if you haven't already. You only have like 5 weeks until the October LSAT so work through the bible while you take your 1 to 2 PTs a week and spend a significant amount of time reviewing. Circle each question you got wrong or struggled with and figure out what it was that gave you trouble. If you have questions you can search this forum or find the answers here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/blog/index ... lanations/

Return to “Law School FAQ”