Dual Citizenship question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Dual Citizenship question

Postby E.mills » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 am

So, I was curious to see if anyone on here was in the same boat as me, or could give me a clearer answer on my question. I have UK citizenship because my father is English, and was wondering if that would help me stand out at all in applications even though I grew up in, and go to school in the states. Basically I'd like to know if this would tip the scales in my favor (even slightly) if I had a 50/50 at admittance to a school. Any response is greatly appreciated!

Re: Dual Citizenship question

Postby marklg89 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 am

I don't have an exact answer, but I don't see why dual citizenship should matter. It could be a starting point for a diversity statement, but aside from that I think that it's a really minor distinction when compared to other, more tangible factors (such as LSAT, GPA, personal statement, recs, resume, etc...)

If I remember correctly, the application only asks you about foreign citizenship if you're not yet a U.S. citizen (i.e. permanent resident, in which case they ask you for your alien identification #). Since you are a U.S. citizen, however, I imagine that your UK citizenship probably won't come up in the application itself.

Postby Horsefeathers » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

I'm a dual American-Canadian citizen, and I don't think it matters in the least from an admissions standpoint. I wouldn't have even thought to mention it when I applied.

Here's why: It's not real diversity. Unlike certain other characteristics that render applicants interesting or disadvantaged, dual citizenship is a happenstance (you just happened to be born to your foreign father, and me to my foreign mother) that probably had little to no effect in distinguishing the particular course of your like.

If you're an ethnic minority, an orphan, or a child of a globe-trotting diplomat, there's a greater case to be made for a unique perspective/set of experiences.

Postby xyzbca » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Dual citizen (USA through parent/Latin American through parent/birth country). Lived in Latin America until I was eight then my family relocated to the USA. Discussed learning to balance my two cultures in my diversity statement. I assume it helped a little bit.

Postby E.mills » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. And i figured as much, though I think the fact that my dad says "potato" different won't do much in the way of giving me a diverse perspective haha. Figured it was worth asking though

Postby stabiloboss » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Last edited by stabiloboss on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Moomoo2u » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Canadian-American here, I didnt even bring it up in my PS because I had ethnic stuff to talk about, but you could mention it in your DS as part of what makes you diverse.

As for the boost, I don't think it will have any effect on your application.

Return to “Law School FAQ”