Should I Wait? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
OperaFan

New

Should I Wait?

Post by OperaFan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:05 am

Is it a good idea to wait a year before applying to law school? I'm a college senior but am not in any particular rush, especially since I had planned to take the October LSAT but I'm swamped with other responsibilities and am finding little time to prepare even though it's two months away. Even though I graduate in the spring, I am thinking to just postpone the LSAT for more time to prepare and apply in the cycle after this upcoming one. In the meantime I'm going to try to find work, an internship, or some other means of gaining more real world experience. I'm sure you've come across this question on this forum (but I can't find it and rarely come on here), so please tell me what you think. Good idea?

ran12

Silver

Re: Should I Wait?

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 am

Waiting's a good idea. You want to be prepared as possible for the LSAT b/c it basically determines your school options. I made the mistake of trying to do everything during college and screwed up the LSAT. Never really put in legit time and while I'm still going to a good school, I could've definitely gotten into a few T-14s if I had done it the right way.

Plus, working for a year gives you good life experience and lets you save some money up before starting law school.

framboozer

Bronze

Re: Should I Wait?

Post by framboozer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 pm

OperaFan, I was in your positionlast year and I just graduated in May. Last fall I was struggling to find time to study for the LSAT, as were many of my peers. I decided to hold off and wait, a decision I was initially uncomfortable about. Well, eventually I realized it was the best decision for me, but my peers, not so much. They took the LSAT with minimal preparation and ended up doing poorly. They were then struggling to get into any law school. One of them got off the waitlist at Widener recently and is going, because she's afraid of trying to get a job and paying off her student loans. Don't let that be you.

I don't know of anyone who regretted taking a year off. Just make sure you keep your grades as high as possible this year and keep working on securing employment for the next year. You won't regret it. You sound like a very level-headed person. Plus, the law schools worth going to will value the maturity you have gained from working and you'll be able to articulate much more clearly on a LS app exactly why you want to go and why you took that time off.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”