So, how can you afford to survive while in law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rinkrat19

Re: So, how can you afford to survive while in law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Verity wrote:
kwais wrote:
Verity wrote:Here's my actual monthly budget:

Rent: $600
Utilities, etc: $100
Food: $950
Clothes: $300
Miscellaneous: $25

If you plan your budget, you will be able to afford anything.

300/month in clothes? fo real?

Damn, I thought the food part was funnier.

I just thought that 'food' included a generous drinking budget.

kwais

Re: So, how can you afford to survive while in law school?

Postby kwais » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

MTal wrote:
pjo wrote:
MTal wrote:1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.[/
quote]

Lol. If only things were that easy. Try just finding a job straight out of college now, let alone being able to hold onto it for 3-5 years without getting laid off.

It's eminently doable, take retail for example. You can start as a stocker and eventually move up to store manager. Target/Wal-Mart managers make about ~70k depending on location.

nuff said