LLM path...how does it help?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

LLM path...how does it help?

Postby jared6180 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 am

This may not be the correct forum, but I have been weighing my options for law school in the next 2 years, and I am considering staying in school to get an LLM. With this consideration comes a few questions that I have not found straight forward answers to. This may have nothing to do with it but let me preface by saying that I am interested in a diverse cross section of potential areas of specialty witch include Corporate Law, Constitutional Law, Finance, and I am slightly interested in Family and Elder Law.

How would an LLM help in any of those fields? Would an LLM help in eventually becoming a judge at some point? Will an LLM help get a job at a Mid-Level Midwest firm? Being in the Mid west we don't have much as far as Big Law like the west and eastern coasts do.

Is there a resource that helps you decide where to take an LLM class and how to get in an LLM program?

Thanks

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 am

Image

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:46 am

jared6180 wrote:I am interested in a diverse cross section of potential areas of specialty witch include Corporate Law, Constitutional Law, Finance, and I am slightly interested in Family and Elder Law.


LL.M.s are for people who are focused.

User avatar
DMBFan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby DMBFan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:51 am

It will be useful if you run for President, and want an invalid reason as to why you're not "a flake."
Last edited by DMBFan on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 am

The first two posts answered just about everything you need to know.

User avatar
lbeezy
Posts: 2639
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby lbeezy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 pm

rad law wrote:Image


Hilarious because it's so, so true.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 pm

This is true for about 95% of law students. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule, however. Of course, it is funnier just to assume those exceptions do not exist.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Danteshek wrote:This is true for about 95% of law students. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule, however. Of course, it is funnier just to assume those exceptions do not exist.


WHAT A SUBTLE SELF PROMOTION. TELL US ABOUT YOUR SECURITIES LLM PROGRAM, DANTE. I HEAR YOU ARE SMART AND MAKING SMART PEOPLE DECISIONS.

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:08 am

If the other programs are so worthless than why do people go for the degree? I understand that NYU, and the rest might be the best places to go, so what are the other schools selling?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:10 am

jared6180 wrote:If the other programs are so worthless than why do people go for the degree? I understand that NYU, and the rest might be the best places to go, so what are the other schools selling?


This will come as a big surprise to you, but somebody had to get around to telling you one of these days. You might want to sit down though, because it's pretty big news:

People are stupid.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:14 am

thesealocust wrote:
Danteshek wrote:This is true for about 95% of law students. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule, however. Of course, it is funnier just to assume those exceptions do not exist.


WHAT A SUBTLE SELF PROMOTION. TELL US ABOUT YOUR SECURITIES LLM PROGRAM, DANTE. I HEAR YOU ARE SMART AND MAKING SMART PEOPLE DECISIONS.


Click on my profile for some subtle self promotion.

User avatar
angua
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 am

Now I'm curious. What's so good about a tax LLM at NYU?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:03 pm

angua wrote:Now I'm curious. What's so good about a tax LLM at NYU?


Tax LLMs are actually useful for tax practitioners. To that end some tax practices will hire students directly out of tax LLM programs, and other tax practices will pay for their attorneys to take the necessary classes to obtain a tax LLM (via night school and the like).

NYU, Georgetown, and Florida are the truly well respected tax LLMs.

The same can't be said of really any other LLM or any other tax LLM. There are some narrow exceptions (for whatever reason a lot of judges wind up with LLMs, I still haven't pieced that one together. Some people pursue them for academic reasons) but otherwise for the most part LLMs cater to international students who need the credential and misguided domestic students who still qualify for student loans.

taxguy
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby taxguy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 pm

lbeezy wrote:
rad law wrote:Image


Hilarious because it's so, so true.



Er. not quite true. You can get an LLM in tax from Miami too and probably a few other schools, which will probably get you a decent job. As for other types of LLMs non-tax related)., it depends on where you are getting it. If you go to a top 10 school, it will help you get jobs. LLMs from other places might help you focus on some specialty,but generally aren't useful for getting jobs. I would only sugest gettting a non-tax LLM from a school that isn't a top 10 or so IF you already have a lock on a job, or you are trying to supplement your knowledge for your own practice. For example, schools such as Stetson,who are known for their online LLM in Elder Law might be great if you have an Elder Law practice. However, I wouldn't go to Stetson's Elder Law LLM to get a job. This is probably true for most of the non-tax LLMs from lessor tiered schools.

User avatar
angua
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby angua » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:17 pm

thesealocust wrote:
angua wrote:Now I'm curious. What's so good about a tax LLM at NYU?


Tax LLMs are actually useful for tax practitioners. To that end some tax practices will hire students directly out of tax LLM programs, and other tax practices will pay for their attorneys to take the necessary classes to obtain a tax LLM (via night school and the like).

NYU, Georgetown, and Florida are the truly well respected tax LLMs.

The same can't be said of really any other LLM or any other tax LLM. There are some narrow exceptions (for whatever reason a lot of judges wind up with LLMs, I still haven't pieced that one together. Some people pursue them for academic reasons) but otherwise for the most part LLMs cater to international students who need the credential and misguided domestic students who still qualify for student loans.


Interesting! I will have to keep that in mind if I ever want to do tax law.

What do people think of, say, Yale's LLMs? I mean, it's an elite school, but I assume some or all of its LLMs are sort of generally unhelpful for getting hired anyway.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby daesonesb » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:24 pm

[quote="Danteshek"]
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Point taken. Overused maybe, but I still like it.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby nealric » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:09 pm

What do people think of, say, Yale's LLMs? I mean, it's an elite school, but I assume some or all of its LLMs are sort of generally unhelpful for getting hired anyway.


The Yale LLM is a specialized program that caters almost exclusively to foreign students looking to do academia.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm

thesealocust, will you marry me?

User avatar
angua
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby angua » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 pm

nealric wrote:
What do people think of, say, Yale's LLMs? I mean, it's an elite school, but I assume some or all of its LLMs are sort of generally unhelpful for getting hired anyway.


The Yale LLM is a specialized program that caters almost exclusively to foreign students looking to do academia.


Cool, thanks for the edumacation!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 pm

bk1 wrote:thesealocust, will you marry me?


* checks watch *

Yes.

User avatar
nids333
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: LLM path...how does it help?

Postby nids333 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm

rad law wrote:Image


True, but add Northwestern




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests