Help me with my law school paranoia! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
antonin

Bronze

Help me with my law school paranoia!

Post by antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 3:41 pm

So, everything should be all set at this point... relaxing and preparing for next year...
not exactly...

I once received a citation for $25. On the citation it mentions that this is "not a crime, but a violation."
This citation was dismissed. I did not mention it on my apps unless a school said include dismissed cases, like NYU does.

Sometimes school questions are along the lines of "have you ever received a citation, bla bla," include expunged cases".
Is this the type of situation that I should include it in? If schools say the word "ever" or ask you to include expunged cases, does that mean they also want you to include dismissed cases.
I think that obviously I should not include it in cases where schools just ask about crimes, like Columbia... correct?
Anyone has any better idea about this kind of situations.

Additional dilemma. In college I was placed, or was I placed (or was I just told that I am being place), on housing probation. I appealed the decision and the probation verdict was dropped. I asked my school for my disciplinary records, and they said there were none. So, was I correct to always respond "NO" to the question if I have been disciplined at an academic institution.

I apologize if I am being vague on the details, but when they occurred, they did not seem more troublesome than a parking ticket. Now, after sending my applications and having an idea of where I am going, I feel quite worried that they will pop up somewhere later.

silver7

New

Re: Help me with my law school paranoia!

Post by silver7 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:43 pm

I cant believe there are people this paranoid in the world

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 3:45 pm

expunged means that the you were guilty but the sentence was served and then cleared from your record. I would assume that it should be included.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Listen to the man with Ted as his avatar. He clearly knows all as evidenced by his fine choice in television viewing.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 pm

What was the citation for? Parking? Forget about it.

All they really want to know is if you're a serial killer or planning to fuck over clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 pm

kalvano wrote:What was the citation for? Parking? Forget about it.

All they really want to know is if you're a serial killer or planning to fuck over clients.
Wait - that wasn't asked on any of my applications - am I screwed??

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 02, 2011 6:37 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:

Are you a serial killer? What a serial killer may be like -

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

I sort of feel like op's problem wasn't a parking ticket type thing. My sense of things is you should over, and not under report these sorts of issues. And as a general rule of thumb, if it is worth hiding, it is not the sort of thing you want to get caught hiding. Even if this little affair has been expunged, should c&f review turn up that something was expunged, and it become clear that you didn't report it, I can imagine things going poorly (although it is difficult to tell with the scant detail you provide). In short, it is almost always better to report (I guess if there is something that 100% will stop you from getting into law school, and you think there is a less than 100% chance it will come out, I guess, morality aside, it'd make sense not to report).

Then again, I'm the paranoid type.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm

I feel very sure that any citation only worth $25 is no cause for concern at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm

kalvano wrote:

snip
Ummmmm, no. But - I have an awesome business card. It's bone.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon May 02, 2011 7:07 pm

silver7 wrote:I cant believe there are people this paranoid in the world
TITCR.

In seriousness, call the schools if you have a question.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon May 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:(I guess if there is something that 100% will stop you from getting into law school, and you think there is a less than 100% chance it will come out, I guess, morality aside, it'd make sense not to report).
No.
This is correct. How would you feel about paying 150K to not be able to practice law?
Last edited by AreJay711 on Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 pm

IMO, report the citation to them in an addendum.

Don't bother with housing probation... not only is there no record, you successfully fought and won, meaning it is a non-issue anyway.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:46 pm

kalvano wrote:

snip
Ummmmm, no. But - I have an awesome business card. It's bone.
Let's see Paul Allen's card.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 pm

thecynic69 wrote:I sort of feel like op's problem wasn't a parking ticket type thing. My sense of things is you should over, and not under report these sorts of issues. And as a general rule of thumb, if it is worth hiding, it is not the sort of thing you want to get caught hiding. Even if this little affair has been expunged, should c&f review turn up that something was expunged, and it become clear that you didn't report it, I can imagine things going poorly (although it is difficult to tell with the scant detail you provide). In short, it is almost always better to report (I guess if there is something that 100% will stop you from getting into law school, and you think there is a less than 100% chance it will come out, I guess, morality aside, it'd make sense not to report).

Then again, I'm the paranoid type.
This affair was not expunged, but it was dismissed. So, I was not convicted or anything along those lines. It was also not a crime, but a violation. Nothing that could ever hurt me I imagine, I just do not want to seem like an idiot who releases something about their past after being accepted. Before acceptances, it never even crossed my mind cause I thought it was too small.

When applying for a census job two years ago, it did not show on my check even though I answered that I had committed a violation in the past. But, again, when you are thinking of borrowing 150k, you are both excited and anxious, and I guess this has kind of been getting on my mind like a horrible pop song.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Moxie wrote:
silver7 wrote:I cant believe there are people this paranoid in the world
TITCR.

In seriousness, call the schools if you have a question.
Yeah, I will probably do that. Though, I imagine that they will have some sort of standard hurried response. Even if it is something that I should not mention according to the way their question is phrased, they will still say yes sent us info. I am also on a few waitlists including my favorite school, so do want them to get a weird negative vibe about me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 am

let's put it this way. Ohio State had me disclose that I had been placed on academic probation.... In high school

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am

AreJay711 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:(I guess if there is something that 100% will stop you from getting into law school, and you think there is a less than 100% chance it will come out, I guess, morality aside, it'd make sense not to report).
No.
This is correct. How would you feel about paying 150K to not be able to practice law?
Not sure what I was thinking =X. I might have mixed up phrasings and meant to say "and it 100% won't come out"--but in any event, what I ended up saying was quite stupid.

General point of view: Just report stuff. Law school's generally don't hold silly things against you, and big things are very likely to come out c&f time.

In op's case, it sounds like he never actually did anything wrong--charged but not convicted sort of thing. If that's the case, there's nothing to report, right? I don't think anyone will care that you were once thought guilty of some rule violation, but later proved innocent (this seems to be what happened...)

ETA: the over rather than under report rule has its limits. past a certain point, you can just look silly, and like you can't follow directions, which is never good for the purpose of law school admissions (?it sounds like op wanted to divulge this after he got accepted?, so I guess this is just meant as a general comment)

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:51 am

Be safe and disclose it.

I had two addendums for some school. One because I got two traffic tickets (one when I was 17!) and another because I was placed on academic probabtion once.

The school's don't hold it against you unless you had a serious violation (maybe DUI or something worse...though I don't know). However, if you don't disclose something you should have, the school can kick you out or worse yet you will fail the character and fitness test and be unable to take the bar (non-disclosure if worse than the actual violation).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am

"expunged" does not mean that one was guilty. It simply means that an existing record--such as an arrest--has been removed (technically it means "wiped out"). Many arrests as well as many charges do not result in a conviction.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed May 04, 2011 2:14 pm

random5483 wrote:Be safe and disclose it.

I had two addendums for some school. One because I got two traffic tickets (one when I was 17!) and another because I was placed on academic probabtion once.

The school's don't hold it against you unless you had a serious violation (maybe DUI or something worse...though I don't know). However, if you don't disclose something you should have, the school can kick you out or worse yet you will fail the character and fitness test and be unable to take the bar (non-disclosure if worse than the actual violation).
Whatever! :mrgreen: I had 2 moving violations, 12 other tickets, a civil action, an investigation, and a dropped out of school addenda to write. That was a bunch! :lol: :lol: :lol: And they didn't care. Except maybe W&L. They seemed to care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”