Texas is now T14

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm

And T14 is as terrible of a reason to go to a school as ever. It's ambiguous. It's socially constructed. It doesn't overide the actual factors that you should make your decision on and it never did.

Somebody had to say it.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Dude T14 is important because there are only 14 (now 15, yay Texas!) national schools and no other schools place graduates in different regions of the country.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project finance attorney, the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

Being tied for 14th doesn't make you T14. Even if there weren't a tie, it would become the T13 and G'town would no longer be included.

EDIT: for noting sarcasm of Rad Law.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project finance attorney, the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!


That's effing awesome. I love Latin culture. I'll have to ask them about this when I'm down there in a week.

alexonfyre wrote:ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

Being tied for 14th doesn't make you T14. Even if there weren't a tie, it would become the T13 and G'town would no longer be included.

EDIT: for noting sarcasm of Rad Law.


You may have mised what I was trying to say 100%

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project finance attorney, the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!


That's effing awesome. I love Latin culture. I'll have to ask them about this when I'm down there in a week.

alexonfyre wrote:ITT: People who don't understand what T14 actually means.

Being tied for 14th doesn't make you T14. Even if there weren't a tie, it would become the T13 and G'town would no longer be included.

EDIT: for noting sarcasm of Rad Law.


You may have mised what I was trying to say 100%


Or you misread me. I was predicting what was coming based on the responses so far. Granted only one of them fit my description, but I stand by my conviction.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 pm

can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!


Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm

rad law wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!


Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double triple.

FTFY :wink:

Don't sell that T-14 ranking short!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 pm

rad law wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:can i say i called it? (to be fair, i call UT going into T14 every yr haha) -- but i mean, i never understood why ppl thought UCLA would beat UT to the T14, though Dean Sager truly is a beast to make UT a T14 this quickly

hook'em!


Yeah this is great! Going from a school ranked 15 and busting into the rarefied air of T14 gives you tons more firms at OCI, and your chance of CoA clerkships double.


chyeah yeah, you're not from TX huh? :P

but on a more serious note, like many things in life, it is a symbolic victory lol

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 pm

UT students will now be guaranteed Biglaw spots, just as GULC grads are.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm

You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

You show me a YLS student, and I'll show you an HBS reject.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 pm

flcath wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

You show me a YLS student, and I'll show you an HBS reject.


That sounds like a lot of generalizations piled on top of each other. I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's more like comparing zuchinis to Corvettes.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby flcath » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 am

lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

You show me a YLS student, and I'll show you an HBS reject.


That sounds like a lot of generalizations piled on top of each other. I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's more like comparing zuchinis to Corvettes.

Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

The only similarity b/t HBS kids and YLS kids is that they're both self-conscious and bitter over their JHU med school rejections.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 am

flcath wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:You guys are all lame. It's Yale or bust.

You show me a YLS student, and I'll show you an HBS reject.


That sounds like a lot of generalizations piled on top of each other. I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's more like comparing zuchinis to Corvettes.

Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

The only similarity b/t HBS kids and YLS kids is that they're both self-conscious and bitter over their JHU med school rejections.


But of course, all of the above cry at night because they really just wanted a PhD from ITAM.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am

lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:Bullshit. HBS kids are superior in every way.

The only similarity b/t HBS kids and YLS kids is that they're both self-conscious and bitter over their JHU med school rejections.


But of course, all of the above cry at night because they really just wanted a PhD from ITAM.


However, nothing compares to the pain of your Rejection letter from RISD's MFA program.

Zeus
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Zeus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

I don't think you guys get it. One of the primary reasons the T14 was special was because it had never been broken into by any non-members. Texas entering the "T14" negates the significance of the "T14."

Texas is now one of the top 14 law schools in America, however the term T14 carries significantly less weight now. So, congratulations? I guess?

Zeus
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Zeus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:24 am

Oh.

I meant to add: Bye bye T14, bye bye GULC. Hello T13, don't blow it Cornell.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:10 am

Zeus wrote:Oh.

I meant to add: Bye bye T14, bye bye GULC. Hello T13, don't blow it Cornell.


It's a shame that people only read the bottom posts on a thread. I'm making a point. So what if those schools have never dropped below the T14? There's nothing magical about them. There's partners at Latham & Watkins from University of Minnesota and unemployed people from Yale (like literally, I know this guy personally). T14 should never be a deciding factor in where you go, and it never should have been.

Say whatever you want, so long as you actually engage the thread.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2589
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby androstan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 am

radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am

androstan wrote:radlaw is the only person ITT saying anything intelligent.


What's new?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Zeus wrote:Oh.

I meant to add: Bye bye T14, bye bye GULC. Hello T13, don't blow it Cornell.


It's a shame that people only read the bottom posts on a thread. I'm making a point. So what if those schools have never dropped below the T14? There's nothing magical about them. There's partners at Latham & Watkins from University of Minnesota and unemployed people from Yale (like literally, I know this guy personally). T14 should never be a deciding factor in where you go, and it never should have been.

Say whatever you want, so long as you actually engage the thread.


i think people are arguing completely different things

im serious when i say the T14 being broken is a significant symbolic change...of course T14 isn't magical on its own...and it would be silly for ppl who would NOT have considered UT before to now suddenly go...but they're in the T14! lol, is anyone ITT even really arguing for that?

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby Malcolm8X » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Zeus wrote:Oh.

I meant to add: Bye bye T14, bye bye GULC. Hello T13, don't blow it Cornell.


Lol!

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Texas is now T14

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Cornell is now the gatekeeper until it inevitably becomes t12. Till then GTown can sit with those festering TTT17's.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest