Growing law specialties Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mrtoren

Silver

Growing law specialties

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 am

As we all know, times are tight and finding a respectable job after graduation is essential. However, I've decided to take the plunge, risk the debt, and pursue a career in law. I'm worried about selecting the right field of law though. I know we should follow our passions, but I would like to balance that with practicality. I want to give myself the opportunity to succeed.

Accordingly, I would like to know which law specialties offer the best employment prospects. Which fields are growing? Which fields are overloaded?

I would also like to know the top schools in each of the growing fields if they are not available on U.S. News & world Report's website.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by mrtoren on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: Growing law specialties

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:45 am

I heard international law is the place to be. You know, globalization and all.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:I heard international law is the place to be. You know, globalization and all.
OP bro, you're new, so I'll just let you in on it that this is a joke.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:I heard international law is the place to be. You know, globalization and all.
this is right on point with alternative dispute resolution between emerging markets

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:18 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
this is right on point with alternative dispute resolution between emerging markets
I hope this isn't a joke :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:28 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:
I hope this isn't a joke :?
--ImageRemoved--

You heard the man. ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 am

Hahah alright, alright..you all have had your fun. I'm looking for some serious answers though. Would my market help narrow the choices? I'd like to stay around Chicago if possible. Boston would be next choice. After that, its where ever the jobs require me to go.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 am

International human rights work is swelling with openings.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 am

Alright-

I think it's well understood that there are more lawyers than legal jobs for lawyers. Therefore, any swelling specialty will still be competitive.

That said, during a recession - it's expected that backruptcy would be popular and in a "boom", real estate will grow. One thing is certain though: taxes. I've talked to several attorneys and they have told me they think tax law is always pretty popular.. the only downside is that a Tax LLM is becoming more common in that field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 am

mrtoren wrote:Hahah alright, alright..you all have had your fun. I'm looking for some serious answers though. Would my market help narrow the choices? I'd like to stay around Chicago if possible. Boston would be next choice. After that, its where ever the jobs require me to go.
Have a technical degree? IP is in demand.

Keep in mind:

1. USNWR specialty rankings are meaningless.
2. You probably will not have a chance to specialize much in law school (unless you're talking broadly like crim vs. transactions vs. lit), because you're gonna take a lot of the same classes as lot of other people. Ex. Corporations, Evidence.
3. Big/midsize firm hiring happens before you get a chance to specialize (beginning of 2L).
4. EVERYTHING is competitive now. There are no magic specialties.

Hope that helps.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 am

Reality Entertainment Law

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:52 am

rad law wrote: Keep in mind:

Top 3 in IP seem legit!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:38 am

rad law wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Hahah alright, alright..you all have had your fun. I'm looking for some serious answers though. Would my market help narrow the choices? I'd like to stay around Chicago if possible. Boston would be next choice. After that, its where ever the jobs require me to go.
Have a technical degree? IP is in demand.

Keep in mind:

2. You probably will not have a chance to specialize much in law school (unless you're talking broadly like crim vs. transactions vs. lit), because you're gonna take a lot of the same classes as lot of other people. Ex. Corporations, Evidence.
3. Big/midsize firm hiring happens before you get a chance to specialize (beginning of 2L).
4. EVERYTHING is competitive now. There are no magic specialties.

Hope that helps.

TITCR ... Also note that your firm choose your specialty for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am

Space Law, Dinosaur Law, and litigation under the Submerged Lands Act of 1953.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

johnnyutah wrote:Space Law, Dinosaur Law, and litigation under the Submerged Lands Act of 1953.
Privacy litigation. Did you see how much the Lower Merion web spy cam settlement paid?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Space Law, Dinosaur Law, and litigation under the Submerged Lands Act of 1953.
Privacy litigation. Did you see how much the Lower Merion web spy cam settlement paid?
Yep. I still can't believe Lower Merion did that shit. They may as well have set 600 grand on fire; at least they'd have avoided the bad press that way.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:19 pm

As a legal recruiter in chicago, I can say that document review on a contract basis is the most in-demand field right now. That's right--$28 an hour doc review, any practice area.

All fields are overloaded right now; I'm seeing new grads, Biglaw layoffs, solo practitioners whose pool of work has dried up, associates from the Chicago suburbs, and former in-house counsel. For new grads it's getting hard to find contract work; a ton of schools feed into Chicago, not just from our city, but from the surrounding states as well. I have candidates who travel from Minnesota to staff document reviews in Chicago. I've seen Northwestern grads and Notre Dame grads right next to the Cooley and John Marshall grads. I assure you that the East Coast is not much better.

If you want to be practical, then I will be honest--I think you should figure out why you want to be a lawyer and what you see yourself doing before you apply. Take an internship, do some research, become a paralegal. If you know where you want to be, you're a lot more likely to get there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Yep. I still can't believe Lower Merion did that shit. They may as well have set 600 grand on fire; at least they'd have avoided the bad press that way.
They have Kobe!

I am neutral on this one. I wish it went to court.

But it's interesting to see they get 100k and firm get 500k. Those lawyers didn't really know much, I think I'd done a better job. So my future may be bright, these suits will keep coming.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
They have Kobe!

I am neutral on this one. I wish it went to court.

But it's interesting to see they get 100k and firm get 500k. Those lawyers didn't really know much, I think I'd done a better job. So my future may be bright, these suits will keep coming.
I think you're right, and I would've liked to see it go to court, too. My friend and I discussed the legal posture of the case a lot, and we were curious to see how it played out.

And yeah, don't be intimidated by attorneys. Many, many lawyers are terrible at their jobs. At least, that's the impression I've gotten in my limited experience.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:28 pm

OP: Here's a real answer.

IP, Tax, Bankruptcy and Crimmigration (the way criminal proceedings affect immigration status) are all in high demand right now.

Turtledove

New

Post by Turtledove » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:39 pm

I hear bird law is in high demand. Keep in mind though that it is not governed by reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”